Turbo Banshee's

Hello guys! This is the 100th time I've made a new profile on BHQ since I keep forgetting the passwords and ID's.

Anyways I was just wondering why nobody is building turbo banshee's with all the tech out there to make it easier so.....

I built one to show you all how easy it can be...

www.youtube.com/turbobanshee420

Really! with things out there like megasquirt and ebay to help get it done cheap. Why not right!!!

If you want to see more you'll have to wait til' I make more video's this weekend hopefully.

vids1024.jpg

vids1021.jpg

oil pump.... driven from my lockout.

vids1026.jpg

vids1029.jpg

Stay Tuned!!! more to come...

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It may be easier now than a few years ago, but with all these new cylinder combinations that are readily available and most importantly reliable. Also easy to set-up and easy to tune and easy to get parts for. So basically I don't see the point when you can bolt on a cheetah (4 mill to an 18mil or larger) and get all the power you need in just a weekend of motor work. I also don't think you could use too much boost from a turbo causing to much crank case pressure, blowing seals etc..To me a turbo would be months of work and constant tuning. If turbo motors added something substantial over what the market has to offer then I would think the motor builders would be using them. I honestly think it's a benefit to disadvantage ratio most people probably look at. I do think it's pretty trick though and admire your dedication to tackle such a difficult project and hopefully you can make it work to your satisfaction.

It may be easier now than a few years ago, but with all these new cylinder combinations that are readily available and most importantly reliable. Also easy to set-up and easy to tune and easy to get parts for. So basically I don't see the point when you can bolt on a cheetah (4 mill to an 18mil or larger) and get all the power you need in just a weekend of motor work. I also don't think you could use too much boost from a turbo causing to much crank case pressure, blowing seals etc..To me a turbo would be months of work and constant tuning. If turbo motors added something substantial over what the market has to offer then I would think the motor builders would be using them. I honestly think it's a benefit to disadvantage ratio most people probably look at. I do think it's pretty trick though and admire your dedication to tackle such a difficult project and hopefully you can make it work to your satisfaction.

My sentiments exactly.

Very strong and valid points here. Only problem I see, is the fact thats all speculation at this point. Sometimes all it takes is 1 single bike to start a trend that everyone will follow. Who knows, maybe he will throw 70 horse out of a stock motor and be dead reliable. It could happen. It could also blow a seal every ride and always be picky. Lets just wait and see. If I ever went 4 poke with my toys they will definitly go turbo.

I guess there are a few that can and do make a turbo 2 stroke run good. I would not advise using a low cost megasquirt program for your fueling needs though. I cant imagine the constant tuning that would go along with a turbo2stroke.

Have you used a megasquirt?

I have and i use ALOT of them from 300-400 hp turbo hayabusa and GSXR 1000's to 700hp twin turbo street cars.

Exactly !!! Dan Hull has made a few of them. two years ago he had one at P.S races . Stock cylinder stock carbs with a small turbo, That thing was bad as hell fast, BUT, The tuning NEVER ends with it.

I also commend you for accomplishing it, Good job !!!! I just think your gonna find its alot more work in the long run though

Exactly !!! Dan Hull has made a few of them. two years ago he had one at P.S races . Stock cylinder stock carbs with a small turbo, That thing was bad as hell fast, BUT, The tuning NEVER ends with it.

I also commend you for accomplishing it, Good job !!!! I just think your gonna find its alot more work in the long run though

there is a chance that with the fuel injection it might not be bad at all. Fuel systems correct for air and what not so once you get a tune thats spot on. Megasquirt systems can read incomming air and change injector pulses as needed to make the air/fuel ratio you desire. With a decent wideband hooked up, and a good tune, unless there is a DRASTIC change in weather I definitly see it having a strong chance of not having to tune constantly.

There is also a chance it will be so finicky it will be tuned all the time like past banshee's. Lets wait and see. I know I am interested.

Also, if you could post some better pics of how you did the fuel injection set up that would be cool. What throtle bodies, intake, battery etc etc. I am definitly interested in this project. Seems really really cool. Good work!

My buddy had a turbo shee....and it was finicky as all hell. 5 to 8 degree change in temps, and you're retuning all over again...

He ended up selling it to a guy...and he dropped it off at Dan Hull's place for him to check out and complete.

With all the very good aftermarket offerings now, cheetahs and cubs, twisters, etc....tuning is simpler and more readily available.

The numbers some of those big huge caracal motors are turning out...almost make it hard to think about a turbo.

4 strokes...however, aren't nearly as finicky with turbo.

Brad Tyson has had good luck with his YFZ...and he is only perfecting that package better. My bud is in the process of building a YFZ turbo as well. They will give a very well tuned 4 mil cub a run for it's money...

My buddy had a turbo shee....and it was finicky as all hell. 5 to 8 degree change in temps, and you're retuning all over again...

He ended up selling it to a guy...and he dropped it off at Dan Hull's place for him to check out and complete.

With all the very good aftermarket offerings now, cheetahs and cubs, twisters, etc....tuning is simpler and more readily available.

The numbers some of those big huge caracal motors are turning out...almost make it hard to think about a turbo.

4 strokes...however, aren't nearly as finicky with turbo.

Brad Tyson has had good luck with his YFZ...and he is only perfecting that package better. My bud is in the process of building a YFZ turbo as well. They will give a very well tuned 4 mil cub a run for it's money...

No kidding I saw Brads run 4.5's at Bob's a couple weeks ago. With very conservative boost, and it looks very very stock!!!! The turbo banshees can be quite frustrating.......but if you have ever rode one, it is a rush like no other when that turbo spools up to 20 +++++++++++. I have rode a couple big Cheetahs, and in the power department they aint got shit on a turbo 350!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!