Anyone running a steel clutch basket?

Both have to be modified in different ways and those modifications vary depending on what style of basket you run.

I had a thread on it but got sick of the retard pm's about it so i deleted it awhile back. it was in my stock cylinder for like 2 years and now lives in my 392 cheetah so its able to take some abuse.

Lane at Driveline clutch turned me on to a shop (A&S racing) that machines your stock inner and PP quite reasonably.  Says they hold up in big motors just fine.

Edited by TIM LUTZ

Bata version of my new BBWC filter for forums is now available for download.  The Bitch, Bash, Whine and Cry filter does just that.                 It let's through useful information and blocks everything else. 

Edited by TIM LUTZ

steel clutch basket might not be a totally bad idea depending on the design as a whole. the new ktm have steel basket. but the plates and basket are more compact so your not giving away a bunch of weight. also the gear and basket are machined as one. and use a large bellville spring instead of the standard 6 small coil springs. they work pretty good i have to say. but using a steel basket of the same dimensions as a alloy one would most likely be a boat anchor

_18_zps5f004731.jpg

Not to mention that he posted the opposite effect on the conductive theory. Yes steel takes longer to heat up then aluminum, but it also holds more heat and will take longer to cool then aluminum.

Classic case of a well read individual who just isn't quite comprehending what they are reading. Then it gets regurgitated here.

The bull shit thermal conductivity theory of steel vs aluminum that Zilla dreamed up is not going to affect a ATV clutch or the transmission operating temperatures. The transmission/clutch doesn't get that hot.

If it did the thermal conductivity theroy did come into play the steel would be a far better choice. The longer it takes the material to heat up the more time allows the oil to absorb the heat and disparate it. One of my degree's is in applied science, I know what I'm talking about.

"IF" your worried about the extra weight limiting rev for a drag racing aplication a simple mathematic equation can be done to determin the amount of weight in "ounces" that would need to be removed from the flywheel to counteract the additional 1.2lbs gained with the steel basket. The truth is the small amount of additional weight and rotating mass spinning on the transmission actually stores energy and prevents the RPM's from falling off as quick which results in additional tq gains theirfor adding lugging power that is binifital for trail/MX racers. This also helps keep the RPM's high for better shifting power efficanty.

Sprinklerman I'd be willing to bet my IQ is higher than yours. You've ran your mouth and talked enough shit about me for over a year and its getting old! You might just get your wish, I'm probably going to end up showing up at one of the BHQ rides sometime in the near future. I want to make sure your there so you can put your money where your mouth is. My Banshee is undergoing a few drastic changes and I look forward to putting you in your place!

Oh, and Tyler as far as me threatening you and talking about fighting, that's a flat out lie! The member of the BHQ FB Group that threatened to "box your ears" if he ever saw you in person is still a member of the Facebook Group. I never made any type of physical threat to or about you or anybody else.

Sprinklerman I'd be willing to bet my IQ is higher than yours. You've ran your mouth and talked enough shit about me for over a year and its getting old! You might just get your wish, I'm probably going to end up showing up at one of the BHQ rides sometime in the near future. I want to make sure your there so you can put your money where your mouth is. My Banshee is undergoing a few drastic changes and I look forward to putting you in your place!

I accept your challenge. Be there this year .

I'll pay 50.00 towards your gas just to sand blast your raggedy-ass bike.

Sent from a van down by the river

• Like 3

The basket doesn't get hot. If what your saying is true why don't they make the clutch plates out of aluminum? You don't have a clue what your talking about. You should stop, your making your self look stupid. Are you going to argue with me over thermal conductivity? I've already posted the specific metal thermal conductivity chart which proves your bull shit theory was wrong!

How's the bolt on EFI Kit coming along? Why don't you put all the energy and thought you put into attempting to discredit me into your own projects. We'd both be a lot better off if you did, and it would cut down on a lot of useless unneeded thread clutter that ends up coving up useful information that other members might be looking for.

The basket doesn't get hot. If what your saying is true why don't they make the clutch plates out of aluminum? You don't have a clue what your talking about. You should stop, your making your self look stupid. Are you going to argue with me over thermal conductivity? I've already posted the specific metal thermal conductivity chart which proves your bull shit theory was wrong!

How's the bolt on EFI Kit coming along? Why don't you put all the energy and thought you put into attempting to discredit me into your own projects. We'd both be a lot better off if you did, and it would cut down on a lot of useless unneeded thread clutter that ends up coving up useful information that other members might be looking for.

so.....are we on for the race at the BHQ ride?

Or are you going to forefit now?

Sent from a van down by the river