Anyone running a steel clutch basket?

OK let's get back on subject.  Full review tonight as I need to get caught up at work. Some good some not so. But the bottom line in my opinion is the added weight of the steel basket did not seem to slow the revving of the engine when warming up on the starting line.  The effect on woods readability I must say, did surprise me. Yep it works.  After the 1st lap my 50 year old ass actually gained enough confidence to take a shot at the pro hill where I'd normally take the longer "go around". Just seemed like the motor had a lot more grunt and was able to carry my speed a lot better through the whole length of the hill.  Has anyone had a dirt bike  and added weight to the flywheel?  Been out of dirt bikes for a while but you use to be able to buy aftermarket heaver flywheels for dirt bikes  to make them better hare scramble bikes and the effect of this heavy weight FW is just like what I felt in the 2 hour XC yesterday.

OK  F... work.  I'll give you all the facts.  Below is a copy of the email I sent Jim when he asked how I like the basket.  From what I understand This was a small run of prototype baskets an I may have gotten one of the last ones. 

Bottom line is don't say something will not work until you have tried it.  I am really impressed and surprised at the woods ride-ability improvements I noticed Sunday on my mildly modified stock size motor but not impressed at the quality of this particular unit. (not Jim's fault) and seems like just a simple CNC oversight.  the general appearance finish looked real nice.

Jim

Will post full review on BHQ tonight but yes it did help a lot in the woods.  was not however too pleased with the machining.  Had to make .008" shims that go between the backing plate and the basket to allow free movement of the gear.  On 2 of the fingers there was a much bigger gap between the basket fingers and the  fiber plates.  This caused a non contact space on the coast or un-driven side of 2 or the fiber tabs so much that I worried about breaking plates.

I was surprised how well it carried momentum on the hill climb parts of the 9 mile XC track yesterday.  Also did not seem to slow the revving but  could swear I may have picked up a slight vibration.  You guys have got something here.  Just need a CNC program check and/or a tighter machining process and more people to try it.  If Matt runs some more refined parts I would like to exchange mine.  I could feel the difference the first hill I hit.

Tim

If you want a motor to pull a hill better and power delivery to be more " trackable" just build the motor around those parameters/requirements. It's not hard to do.

Why add weight to a clutch basket of all things and tout it as a benefit? Just build the motor properly for that application.

Sent from a van down by the river

If you want a motor to pull a hill better and power delivery to be more " trackable" just build the motor around those parameters/requirements. It's not hard to do.

Why add weight to a clutch basket of all things and tout it as a benefit? Just build the motor properly for that application.

Sent from a van down by the river

^^^^This

Then you'll have enough power to not need to beat the shit out of a clutch.

Not really guys.  Look at the older YZ and IT Yamahas and the RM and PE Suzukis. KX and KDX Kawasasi.  Yes you are correct.  Same jug bit different port timing and pipe tuning.  BUT....IT, KDX and PE had a heaver fly wheel.  And Hinson makes a steel basket and the statement below is right from there web site.  You all have to understand.  I'm trying to go as fast and as controlled as I can with a 50" wide quad between trees that are 60" apart and you all know what a Shee is like when it comes on the pipes no matter how you build/tune it.  There is no doubt that I was in much more control Sunday.  If it is junk then someone make me one that is not cause it no doubt helped my lap times.

Heavier basket to create the combined effect of a high performance clutch basket along with the added traction of a flywheel weight, both in one part. | Extremely wear resistant. | Increased oiling to help fight clutch heat and fade. | Improves clutch performance and life. | Precision machined from billet steel to aerospace tolerances. | Helps eliminate clutch chatter when used with Hinson Clutch Components pressure plate and inner hub. | Made in the USA