Anyone running a steel clutch basket?

Don't need a bunch of people thinking for me. A steel basket makes sense after you see what 6 hare scrambles have done to a Mattoon basket.  Yes I fan the clutch a lot.  Anyone out there ever owned a 2 stroke dirt bike or raced motorcross ?  Hugh Hugh. Apparently not.  That's what a clutch is for.  As for the boat anchor weight.  Bet it don't weigh any more than a lockup or a sling shot. Besides, think people, how fast does the clutch basket turn? 3500 RPM tops.  Do you really think 1 or 2 pound is going to make a difference in how it reves?  On the flip side I can't really see it sortieing enough additional inertia to gain any more woods ride-ability or torque but I'll let you all know.

Humm,  unless my math is off each fiber plate has less than .094 square inches of contact area with the basket. Don't think much heat is going to escape there no matter what the material.  Don't care if your making 30 horse power.  the more clutch plated the better.  That makes sense.  How fast does a banshee motor need to accelerate in the woods?  Does a 450 4 stroke motor accelerate as fast as a banshee motor?  Yet a TRX450r or a YFZ450 will ALWAYS beat a Banshee in a harescramble.  Don't ask me why I don't get a 450 cause I'm looking.  Will I ever sell my Banshee.... NO.  

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but hard anodizing is more for show.  Anyone in the coating industry will back me on this. A 5 to 15 nano meter thickness of effective oxide layer will do little over a substantial base material. 

The forces we are looking at here (clutch plate vs clutch basket) is called brinelling. If you look at any aftermarket basket that has been in service for some time you will see the anodizing worn through where each fiber plate makes contact. The hardness of the base material is the only factor that will limit the brinelling past this point.

Def.  Brinelling is a material surface failure caused by Hertz contact stress that exceeds the material limit. It usually occurs in situations where there is a load with a lot of force that is distributed over a relatively small surface area. This failure is caused by just one application of a load great enough to exceed the material limit. Brinelling typically results from a heavy or repeated impact load, either while stopped or during rotation.

Edited by TIM LUTZ

If the base material is too soft, then yes, hard anodizing is pointless. ..BUT, if the base material is the proper hardness then the hard anodizing helps.

I'll stand by my statement about the steel basket being not only a waste of money, but inferior to a PROPER billet basket in our application.

Years of use by 1000's of banshee owners is all the proof needed.

The guys behind and promoting this steel basket are trying to reinvent a wheel that doesn't need it.

Sent from a van down by the river

I hate to burst anyone's bubble but hard anodizing is more for show. Anyone in the coating industry will back me on this. A 5 to 15 nano meter thickness of effective oxide layer will do little over a substantial base material.

Coming from the transmission industry I know for a FACT that Hard Annodizing is tougher. I have spent lots of time with coatings, tempering, and finishing. No I won't back your statement.

Also, it seems that the only reading I've seen on steel baskets is comparing them to the early Un hardened Mattoon baskets. Why not proven baskets like the PE/Magnum? Also, do the steel ones have oil grooves/passages to help cool the clutch?

And 2 pounds will make a difference for you. Although in a good way for your riding so that I can get behind. The inertia will keep that bike coming out of the tight stuff better. That is about the only benefit. Price wise for those steel baskets is rediculous. Yeah, it'll probably last, but it may expose some other issues.