Banshee Porting DIY

BLOODRAGE

I just don't see any benefit to porting a motor when you don't know what you're doing.

you learn as you go.  ever wonder how much your builder really knows ? i doubt the worlds top GP tuners were calling packard or k&t for advice. regardless how much you think you know, theres always some with alittle more knowledge and bigger bank roll to fund the testing. but even the top dogs had to start at the bottom

Ive built/repaired more banshees than i can remember,and I watched someone port my 88lt250r cylinder from start to finish,And what i saw was nothing your ever going to learn from a template.     He said endless trial and error was how he learned.

Learning how to port from a template,is about like learning to paint a portrait with a stencil.

He was the same guy i took some ported banshee cylinders to,to check them out. The porting looked fine to me,but after he measured and pointed stuff out,he came to the conclusion that it wasnt even safe to run.

you learn as you go.  ever wonder how much your builder really knows ? i doubt the worlds top GP tuners were calling packard or k&t for advice. regardless how much you think you know, theres always some with alittle more knowledge and bigger bank roll to fund the testing. but even the top dogs had to start at the bottom

No, I don't ever wonder how much my builder knows..

He builds me motors and I run them.

I bet I have more 1st place finishes than anyone else on this website.

And it's not because I whipped out the Dremel on Friday night and went to town on some cylinders.

Sacrificial research isn't for every one. But I endorse it. If your kid says "I wanna play football dad." Are you gonna tell him he's not gonna be as good as the guys in the NFL? NO, you go sign his ass up for Peewee league and hope he can at least go to college on his skill.

Get some courage up, open some books, do some research and try it ..  if you dont/like it or cant do it, then dont... but trying to keep people from at least attempting to isnt doing anything to help the sport ..

I am not necessarily trying to keep people from doing it. I am just merely stating that for the time, money, materials and potential fuck up, you could just send them out and have them ported by someone who will get you the most power from them.

Sacrificial research isn't for every one. But I endorse it. If your kid says "I wanna play football dad." Are you gonna tell him he's not gonna be as good as the guys in the NFL? NO, you go sign his ass up for Peewee league and hope he can at least go to college on his skill.

Are you really sitting here comparing a kid playing football to porting your own cylinders? That is the worst fucking comparison I have ever seen.

Are you really sitting here comparing a kid playing football to porting your own cylinders? That is the worst fucking comparison I have ever seen.

How so? I didn't compare porting to football. I'm just making the point that if people say they wanna do something that everyone else shouldn't be such a fucking negative nancy about it. You have a kid, every time she says she wants to try something are you gonna just say " That's a stupid fucking idea, you won't be the best at it"?

At no point did I ever try to compare the two. It's important for people to be curious about this kind of stuff and I think if someone else is willing to spend their time and dollars to experiment with their motor it should be encouraged as long as they have the potential to do so. Obviously they should be cautioned, but every time this type of thread comes up someone always gets bashed and it's rediculous. Everybody started somewhere and the go from there. Ask every builder that has ever sponsored this site how perfect all their work was in the beginning and how many people told them to stop wasting their time and send it out. Ever talk to Eric gore about how he started? At the pinnacle of Two Strokes in super cross and Moto cross he was the it man to do the motors.

• Like 1

Why is there so much negative feedback to ppl wanting to learn or do there own porting??? If you have the patience then go for it! I can count on one hand the builders I'd trust my work with so if you have the ambition n money to spend/waste on learning n fuckin shit up then why no. A few more good builders sure won't hurt nothin in my book. Just be prepared to get 99 don't do it replies for every 1 that gives some useful advice.

Anyone want to answer a technical 'porting' question?

Specifically over @ THIS post in my fix-up thread

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5955/cuttrace.jpg

The paper template is a replica of my cylinder mating surface. the black is what I could potentially take out on the cylinder as well as the case. I still need to lay it on my case and mark it but I was just wondering about the transfers because I have seen them opened up before on other machines - but specifically not on the Banshee.

There is room - Any advice against hogging it out a bit more?