Banshee Porting DIY

BLOODRAGE

Okay, my question was answered once I was able to open the pdf.I couldn't open the pdf before because my connection is tempermental. Today its quick.

So, With a stock setup naw.

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/5296/leftjz.jpg

^this black is what you don't want to mess with.

Page 16

"This is what I call the lower transfer ports. You
want to match the port to the case and the gasket. Making them larger than the
case or the gasket at the bottom will not help you, it will cause unwanted
turbulence."

BLOODRAGE, on 11 Feb 2013 - 18:21, said:
For educational purpose only port at your own risk. if you have a set of cylinders to practice on then giver,remember to take your time and do it right !!
https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=5eNaltKS9ZOTGrp0FI7cGA

I had a question posted on page 5 but I found the answer in the pdf ( I couldn't load it). I wanted to open up the base gasket sealing surface because there is room and it won't leak but according to this guy who has more experience than me it will not help a stock application - need 'big bore' or stroker and even then I haven't seen it happen on the outside transfer. I suppose you want stuff mirrored on the cylinder like if you hog out the outside transfer too much you could cause ill-effects with the lack of fresh charge coming from the inner transfer. my guess.

I did some case-matching by hand today with a round hand file that I heated up and curved like Jennings suggested 36 years ago...

That was interesting and left the surface a little too rough.

I left extra room for me to hit it with some dremel wheels to smooth it out - reluctant to post photos until I'm done because of how it looks.

Tell you what I didn't do though - Didn't slip and run the bit all over my base gasket area. Plus+

Not entirely good. Being overly rich will create overheating issues as well.....

I realize that but I don't think overheating will be an issue when its 18 degrees out. I'm just happy that its not too lean and fry my pistons right off the bat. Now I can work down from the rich side. My blaster was the opposite. I jetted it by input of the builder and board members. My needle was way off lean. I had multi point seizers a few times and went through 2 pistons within a couple months.

that pic of the suzuki is old as hell!   ha ha..

if there is any doubt of my porting "skills"  i think my bike's performance speaks for itself..

hope brandon understands those power valved cyls..  hurry up and get that thing done.  i'd love to watch you and tanner race!

I realize that but I don't think overheating will be an issue when its 18 degrees out. I'm just happy that its not too lean and fry my pistons right off the bat. Now I can work down from the rich side. My blaster was the opposite. I jetted it by input of the builder and board members. My needle was way off lean. I had multi point seizers a few times and went through 2 pistons within a couple months.

Don't let the cold temps make you to comfortable. Rich can be just as bad as lean especially in the cold. The extra air helps burn that extra oil. Hence why it won't show much oil on the plug. In turn makes heat. This pic is of the head off my bike after tryin to run race gas to rich. O rings just melted.

F9684C61-F2B6-45A9-B1D4-9753B1CA5131-487

Don't let the cold temps make you to comfortable. Rich can be just as bad as lean especially in the cold. The extra air helps burn that extra oil. Hence why it won't show much oil on the plug. In turn makes heat. This pic is of the head off my bike after tryin to run race gas to rich. O rings just melted.F9684C61-F2B6-45A9-B1D4-9753B1CA5131-4876-00000A7B81E5B8B9.jpg

It may be just the pic but that is a very odd looking dome profile? Almost looks like fron the squish band to the bowl is a straight in cut? Am I correct or is it the lighting in the pic.

Probably the lighting. These are actually the same profile as the NOSS stuff. Only done by the fella that taught David. Nobody caught the crack in the dome till I posted it in the live section.

i only saw it in the live thread. as far as that dome, like ddu said in that thread the machining of the dome looks odd. ive cut all my domes for the past 4 years or so, none have the little bit of what looks like chatter that your domes have. with that being said i know you said it a wicked head/domes, they maybe be thin in general and when they were cut for your application it left very little material, especially with north of 180psi. since your mentioning heat in winter conditions we all know jetting plays into it but not all after market heads offer proper or even improved cooling.

bottom line is you need new domes :cheers:

Probably the lighting. These are actually the same profile as the NOSS stuff. Only done by the fella that taught David. Nobody caught the crack in the dome till I posted it in the live section.

I looked at that "crack" and figured it was oil or something? Wow I never knew you could crack a dome

i only saw it in the live thread. as far as that dome, like ddu said in that thread the machining of the dome looks odd. ive cut all my domes for the past 4 years or so, none have the little bit of what looks like chatter that your domes have. with that being said i know you said it a wicked head/domes, they maybe be thin in general and when they were cut for your application it left very little material, especially with north of 180psi. since your mentioning heat in winter conditions we all know jetting plays into it but not all after market heads offer proper or even improved cooling.

bottom line is you need new domes :cheers:

They are wicked domes, cut by Jim. There is just not enough material to take the abuse that the head was designed for. Spoke to a guy at wicked and he basically said that is why they are no longer make that style head/dome combo and are doing a new design.

In this pic look at how deep the fins are machined. Takes most of the supporting material away from the combustion area. So get it hit and put it under the stress of compression and CRACK!17067EE2-1DE0-4129-8221-305A8D85DCA8-487

Sorry to thread jack. Just trying to make a point that just because it's cold doesn't mean your bike is gonna run cool. In all actuality, more cooling system problems occur in the winter then in the summer.