Banshee Porting DIY

BLOODRAGE

first off i hope i didnt offend any builders,i know it is their trade and way to make money,i only posted this thread for educational purposes.some people might find this thread handy if they would like to learn how to port their own jugs.

ive personally seen cylinders ported by reputable porters and cant say i was impressed,but hey you get what you pay for i guess,fuck knows lol

"for the power is knowledge and the knowledge is free"

the fact of doing the portwork yourself even if it is just widening the exhaust port, opening up/bridging the intakes, cleaning up castings, you can still say you've done the work. But if your wanting to sve money, then definately send it to someone who does it for a living. It DOES take alot of trial/error and a steady hand to be able to consistently do good portwork, but its NOT rocket science.

I was hoping there was more DIY porting in here such as some proven portmaps that the public has developed. I looked back and found a couple threads but they were really old. There are far less people that do their own portwork than I thought and It seems there is a lot of people who send their stuff off to a builder. I see both arguments. The price gives you a great value.

I was hoping there was more DIY porting in here such as some proven portmaps that the public has developed. I looked back and found a couple threads but they were really old. There are far less people that do their own portwork than I thought and It seems there is a lot of people who send their stuff off to a builder. I see both arguments. The price gives you a great value.

I see no argument.

Considering the time involved, the tools and the research, a good builder is worth every penny.

the reason you don't see technical threads is all the haters and bullshit that usually gets thrown in on the mix.  let alone some of the so called ":builders" are just copying what they have seen done in the past ( you gots ta rember  these things started in 1988ish..  that's a LONG time to "develop" a motor)  

and most like to keep things secretive to keep them earning money  and why not?  SOME have spent tons of time on dyno's, testing, and development ( breaking shit) along with the so called proper tooling..   hell i got into porting because i had a cylinder ported by CT and it came back running the exactly same it went out.  what the fuck?  PLUS  i didnt have much cash  but lots of time ( back then)  plus i actually like to try different shit.. ( i mean really   who else runs PV cheetahs anymore?)  yea  i started with about 3 sets of my own cylinders and also 2 of my own cheetah's  and cubs are even another cylinder that if done right can make great power  even whats available out the box.   to me  it dosent take much "port work" to get a cylinder like that to be truly competitive. ( Cub)  but other cylinders and exotic motors take a real "builder and machinist not just a wrench turner..   hell i personally felt i told IMS wayyy to much on the PV cheetah's.  didnt tell him everything  but enough that i think he's heading in the right direction with it.   also i think the 2 of us can both agree that current dome shapes ( basically available) are total trash..  and if you have the machine's to do some of your own work  why not?  or you could just build steam engines for a hobby.....  naw  not yet!    i have tried to talk to some people who say they want to "learn how to port" and i felt they were just trying to do things to quickly or were not really understanding what the heck i was trying to say.  so anymore  i'm pretty selective on who i attempt to "help out"   

plus  nearly every "builder" and porter has his ways of explaining the same thing...   i mean really  i can quote the entire paragraph out of the many different books i have read on porting and sound like i absolutely know what the hell i'm talking about.   but showing up to a ride or the dunes or the track or whatever with something that PERFORMS, and stays together! is totally different... 

after reading through that PDF  that's a decent beginners guide.

the info on the transfers is a lil wrong  and all i'm going to say...

really  purchase as many differnt 2 stroke engine books as you can find/ afford.   what i learned in most of the better ones helped me understand things that you can never read about on the net.  also the info in them has made me think about the current available dome shapes and why they either don't work  or do work.    those books can also make you look more at the motor as a complete motor instead of just a "port job"//   i can have more time in prepping a crankshaft than porting if i did what some of these books suggest.   (and yea  it works) 

the reason you don't see technical threads is all the haters and bullshit that usually gets thrown in on the mix.  let alone some of the so called ":builders" are just copying what they have seen done in the past ( you gots ta rember  these things started in 1988ish..  that's a LONG time to "develop" a motor)  

and most like to keep things secretive to keep them earning money  and why not?  SOME have spent tons of time on dyno's, testing, and development ( breaking shit) along with the so called proper tooling..   

Good observations.

That was one of many argument differences from builders to DIY and reasons why someone would choose one over the other.

Can somebody attach the pdf please? Adobe is acting up.

I did my cylinders by my self with alot of help, reading and learning. They work good enough for me. Little too much topend, but helped me to  beat my friend.

Now I´m doing a set of stock cylinders for my friend just to have something to do.

It´s hard to find a professional porters here where I live. I found two of them. The other was 600€ for about 60 horses and the other one was even more expensive.

That´s why I DIMS.

I would like to see more DIY porting, but Like Camatv said, alot of shit will be right there.

wow some replys worth reading.

its just too bad when a member asks about porting he automatically gets gang raped by other members whom would rather send their jugs out.

so to those who would rather not share their porting experience/experiments on this thread,pm me i would like to hear your storys 

• Like 1