Banshee Porting DIY

BLOODRAGE

wow some replys worth reading.

its just too bad when a member asks about porting he automatically gets gang raped by other members whom would rather send their jugs out.

so to those who would rather not share their porting experience/experiments on this thread,pm me i would like to hear your storys 

i will be attempting my first set soon (not with the expensive, "pro" tools) but i will do a full before/during after write-up of the processes i'll be taking as well as multiple pictures .. im sure it will get trashed, but oh well, I know there are TONS of people out there who would love to learn to DIY, they just dont have the courage to attempt it.

yeah and i actually paid for that shit. had to fix it up myself.

Thats too bad. I had a great experience with KOR. My KOR stock ported cylinder kept up with a raptor 660 till I got to sixth gear.

Its also to bad that when ever someone wants to talk about DIY porting they are slammed for doing it. It doesn't bother me. Unlike most guys on this board I don't have unlimited funds to spend on my toy. I have bills, wife and kids to pay for first.

Unlike most guys on this board I don't have unlimited funds to spend on my toy. I have bills, wife and kids to pay for first.

Unlimited funds? A top of the line port job is like $500 at most. Your time must not be worth much. And by the time you buy the tools, do the research and it still doesn't run that good, you could've paid a builder to do it!

Unlimited funds? A top of the line port job is like $500 at most. Your time must not be worth much. And by the time you buy the tools, do the research and it still doesn't run that good, you could've paid a builder to do it!

i understand your wanting to get the sponsors more business..  but give the guy at least a glimmer of hope ..

$500 gets me several other parts I need to resurrect this 87 model. I'm sure my port job will be faster then stock. Its funny how guys with money look down on those who don't.

My story is too long, and almost impossible to translate.

But if I try to make it shorter...

Compression was low and I needed a fresh top end. My friend told me to do a home made clean up porting.

First I was going to send my cylinders to a site sponsor and I asked some things from Jeff (over seas shit ...).

But after some calculations I decided to try it with my left hand and my cheap ass chinese made copy of Dremel.. (heh)

After 2 long years and around 140 porting hours later I had a set of ported cylinders. ... And I did them myself...

I have collected serious amount of information from some good "backyard" builders.

Ans as you can understand it will take some time to translate them and understand what someone is trying to say.

Like I said above, now I´m doing to a set for my friend, and I will avoid those mistakes, what I did with my own set of cylinders.

My personal porting is more for Drag Racing, but a set of rusty T5´s and 93 pumppy-g´ass will take most of the excitement away.

Now I´m trying to do a midrange porting.

I am far far away from a decent backyard builder/porter so I can´t give any pointers to anyone.

All I can say is, that do not try to proof anyone that you can shovel all that aluminum away.

If the stock size intake ports can flow good for around 50 horses, you don´t need intake windows that looks like a fist fucked anus.

That´s about it...

I agree with the diy'ers, its not always about money. I can understand where you diy porters are coming from. I can drop off my entire bike and pay anytime, but why? Unless I dont have the ability to do it myself. Its about pride in your work and knowing exactly what you got when done. I always do as much as i can myself. So i feel like its mine and when people ask who did it. I say i did this and this and that. It is very gratifying, as well as im the type of person that wants things done a certain way, the right way. Or else i will redo it anyway. This goes for just about everything. House, cars, bikes, etc..

I agree with the diy'ers, its not always about money. I can understand where you diy porters are coming from. I can drop off my entire bike and pay anytime, but why? Unless I dont have the ability to do it myself. Its about pride in your work and knowing exactly what you got when done. I always do as much as i can myself. So i feel like its mine and when people ask who did it. I say i did this and this and that. It is very gratifying, as well as im the type of person that wants things done a certain way, the right way. Or else i will redo it anyway. This goes for just about everything. House, cars, bikes, etc..

Well said

$500 gets me several other parts I need to resurrect this 87 model. I'm sure my port job will be faster then stock. Its funny how guys with money look down on those who don't.

No one is "looking down" on you. I just don't see any benefit to porting a motor when you don't know what you're doing. Care to explain the tools you use and what kind of research you did/are doing to port cylinders? And any idea on time?

Yea, we've seen your work. You should have dropped the bike off.

I used a pneumatic die grinder with a variety of carbide bits. I didn't change the transfer ports just cleaned them up. I opened up the intake and exhaust with the race logic templets and then I added boost ports. I had my blaster cylinder done by KOR so I had that as a reference. I had read several articles and seen several pics on ported cylinders. I probably spent 10 hours on my cylinders. The time that was spent on them was spare time that I had in between a job or cancellation. Its not like I can chose to make $50/hr 8 hours a day 5 days a week. When you have to rely on the public to show up its a crap shot. Many don't show or call. Some are late and then it throws the rest of the day off.

It wasn't hard to port it. I have done several automotive heads in the past with good results, I don't see why this is any different.

I used a pneumatic die grinder with a variety of carbide bits. I didn't change the transfer ports just cleaned them up. I opened up the intake and exhaust with the race logic templets and then I added boost ports. I had my blaster cylinder done by KOR so I had that as a reference. I had read several articles and seen several pics on ported cylinders. I probably spent 10 hours on my cylinders. The time that was spent on them was spare time that I had in between a job or cancellation. Its not like I can chose to make $50/hr 8 hours a day 5 days a week. When you have to rely on the public to show up its a crap shot. Many don't show or call. Some are late and then it throws the rest of the day off.

It wasn't hard to port it. I have done several automotive heads in the past with good results, I don't see why this is any different.

I applaud your effort! Done it myself a few times. the problem is,you skipped the part were the majority of the power is found. So now you are back to more $$ for PROPER tooling.

Its just simple time VS money for me.

But hey , its a hobby,,,we all do it for the fun of it!

Done the road I will probably buy a nice set of ported cylinders done by a professional when I can afford it. For now I am in a scramble to get the bike trail ready by spring so I can test and tune and have it to ride in west virgina this coming July.