Help Me Decide on a New Truck

I feel perfectly fine in Dodge's. The 3rd gen's are a lot better than the 2nd, and I find my 2nd gen comfortable. No it doesn't have all the snazzy new features as the newer ones do. But then again I guess I don't need those :laugh: I'm just having a hard time understanding a few thing's about the new Super Duty(engine wise). They still only have put 10 bolts on the heads. Now the 6.0L had problems with the heads and or head gaskets(not saying all of them). And that was with a single turbo. Now the new 6.4L have a Sequential Turbo set up, having a max of 42PSI, and still only having 10 Bolts per head :ohmy: Sure they have made them a little beefier, but still. And I'm sure these new trannies will outlast the previous ones on our 2nd gen's. I guess I'm just saying most of this because our 2nd Gen has only given us 1 problem, and that was the VP44(Fuel Injector Pump), and nothing else has gone wrong with it :thumbsup:(Other than the normal maintenance) Just my .2 cents :laugh:

I am not really worried about anything with the Dodge trucks except for the transmission.

The new Fords are probably ok, but they have been notorius for having weird engine problems for awhile when they release a new model. The 6.4 lter engine will definitely be the "highest tech" diesel engine in the light truck market when it comes out. Ford has had some shitty transmission in their trucks in the past (it seems like it all went downhill, with regards to reliability and longevity, when the C6 was restired).

If you ever have any questions about engine design or technology give me a shout. :thumbsup:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I recently bought a 03 ram 2500 with the hemi. The wife is driving it now -- I want a diesel. I don't buy anything off the lot so I've been looking around at stuff a couple years old. After plenty of looking, driving, and research, I've decided on cummins with manual tranny. You just flat out can't beat that combo (if you can find them for sale, that is :ermm:).

Edited by GFB

I recently bought a 03 ram 2500 with the hemi. The wife is driving it now -- I want a diesel. I don't buy anything off the lot so I've been looking around at stuff a couple years old. After plenty of looking, driving, and research, I've decided on cummins with manual tranny. You just flat out can't beat that combo (if you can find them for sale, that is :ermm:).

I think the new Dodge trucks are probably the better looking trucks of the group. I am not sure if I want a manual trans. or not as I am afraid that I might get tired of shifting it and/or wear out the clutch in SoCal traffic. :wink:

I have tried out the ford, chevy, and dodge and really don't have too much of a gripe about any of them. Its all in what you want the truck to do. My dads company just bought three new duramax trucks and i tell you what that thing will run. i pulled a 550 john deere dozer on my gooseneck with it and it didn't even grunt. The only problem was stopping :biggrin: All the guys i know with a dodge cummins have no problems either unless they have an automatic tranny and my buddy has ford with a 6.0 in it and it seems to be pretty strong so i guess its whatever your preference is. You might talk to jeff from f.a.s.t. on here and he could give you some insight on some of the different models and the pros and cons of each one. I tell you though that duramax sure will smoke the tires :biggrin: Good luck with your decision!

I am not really worried about anything with the Dodge trucks except for the transmission.

The new Fords are probably ok, but they have been notorius for having weird engine problems for awhile when they release a new model. The 6.4 lter engine will definitely be the "highest tech" diesel engine in the light truck market when it comes out. Ford has had some shitty transmission in their trucks in the past (it seems like it all went downhill, with regards to reliability and longevity, when the C6 was restired).

If you ever have any questions about engine design or technology give me a shout. :thumbsup:

I say you go for a new Dodge :biggrin: And besides, if something goes wrong in the tranny, just get it built up, put some chips on her and have some fun :evil:

I say you go for a new Dodge :biggrin: And besides, if something goes wrong in the tranny, just get it built up, put some chips on her and have some fun :evil:

Yeah, that's sort of the way I am leaning right now. I am not sure that I will be able to decide on a transmission until I drove both trucks. :confused:

You might talk to jeff from f.a.s.t. on here and he could give you some insight on some of the different models and the pros and cons of each one. I tell you though that duramax sure will smoke the tires :biggrin: Good luck with your decision!

Thats bad advice... Jeff has been brainwashed somehow into thinking those D-max's are the way to go but Iam working on that.. :biggrin:

I personaly feel it comes down to D-max or Cummins.. Sorry but there really hasn't been a time when the power choke has been anything more than a joke.. :confused:

I have a couple buddies with new dodges and my brother has one as well.. Not one of them have had a problem yet. Granted they have only had them a couple years but trust me, they have been HARD years..

My brother pulls a 5th wheele all over the west coast and one of my buddies uses his to pull almost everyday for work.. On top of that we use it to pull on all of our dune trips which requires us to run up some SERIOUS grades to get on top of the mountain. Oh and they are all autos..

So what are you guys saying is wrong with the trans anyway??? I know they were having trouble with the converter but Iam not sure if thats the same problem... A place here in denver called ATS Diesel performance have some SICK shit and seem to have the solution to all the trany problems.. I have seen those trucks straight RIP. www.atsdiesel.com

RIPPEN

Thats bad advice... Jeff has been brainwashed somehow into thinking those D-max's are the way to go but Iam working on that.. :biggrin:

I personaly feel it comes down to D-max or Cummins.. Sorry but there really hasn't been a time when the power choke has been anything more than a joke.. :confused:

I have a couple buddies with new dodges and my brother has one as well.. Not one of them have had a problem yet. Granted they have only had them a couple years but trust me, they have been HARD years..

My brother pulls a 5th wheele all over the west coast and one of my buddies uses his to pull almost everyday for work.. On top of that we use it to pull on all of our dune trips which requires us to run up some SERIOUS grades to get on top of the mountain. Oh and they are all autos..

So what are you guys saying is wrong with the trans anyway??? I know they were having trouble with the converter but Iam not sure if thats the same problem... A place here in denver called ATS Diesel performance have some SICK shit and seem to have the solution to all the trany problems.. I have seen those trucks straight RIP. www.atsdiesel.com

RIPPEN

They're talking about the trannies in the 2nd gen Dodge's(1998.5-2002) The 4 speed auto's have been known to have a few problems here and there.

How are the new GM's, are they still having over heating problems?

Edited by Dinner

What else is a tranny suppose to do when it has all that power to get to the ground....I would have problems too haha. I would stick with a cummins, chevy is nice but just too plain and ford blows and with the new "twin turbos" it's just going to blow that much harder

I have tried out the ford, chevy, and dodge and really don't have too much of a gripe about any of them. Its all in what you want the truck to do. My dads company just bought three new duramax trucks and i tell you what that thing will run. i pulled a 550 john deere dozer on my gooseneck with it and it didn't even grunt. The only problem was stopping :biggrin: All the guys i know with a dodge cummins have no problems either unless they have an automatic tranny and my buddy has ford with a 6.0 in it and it seems to be pretty strong so i guess its whatever your preference is. You might talk to jeff from f.a.s.t. on here and he could give you some insight on some of the different models and the pros and cons of each one. I tell you though that duramax sure will smoke the tires :biggrin: Good luck with your decision!

It seems that each manufacturer has or have recently had some sort of issue with one of their transmission. I probably won't be working the truck very hard, so I might get away with not having any transmission porblems. :confused:

They're talking about the trannies in the 2nd gen Dodge's(1998.5-2002) The 4 speed auto's have been known to have a few problems here and there.

How are the new GM's, are they still having over heating problems?

I think the auto trans, the Dodge put behind the 1st gen. diesel trucks had some serious longevity issues. None of that really matters though, as I looking to a get a new truck. :thumbsup:

I think the auto trans, the Dodge put behind the 1st gen. diesel trucks had some serious longevity issues. None of that really matters though, as I looking to a get a new truck. :thumbsup:

Yea I really don't think you will have to worry about the OLD stories of the Dodge trannies. You are getting a new 07/08 truck, and all 3 trucks are coming out with their new technology. But for me, I would go with the Cummins. Can't beat the towing power of the Cummins. And I have been a Cummins person myself :biggrin:

I feel perfectly fine in Dodge's. The 3rd gen's are a lot better than the 2nd, and I find my 2nd gen comfortable. No it doesn't have all the snazzy new features as the newer ones do. But then again I guess I don't need those :laugh: I'm just having a hard time understanding a few thing's about the new Super Duty(engine wise). They still only have put 10 bolts on the heads. Now the 6.0L had problems with the heads and or head gaskets(not saying all of them). And that was with a single turbo. Now the new 6.4L have a Sequential Turbo set up, having a max of 42PSI, and still only having 10 Bolts per head :ohmy: Sure they have made them a little beefier, but still. And I'm sure these new trannies will outlast the previous ones on our 2nd gen's. I guess I'm just saying most of this because our 2nd Gen has only given us 1 problem, and that was the VP44(Fuel Injector Pump), and nothing else has gone wrong with it :thumbsup:(Other than the normal maintenance) Just my .2 cents :laugh:

there was never any issue of a head blowing off. the problem was overheating from faulty injectors in the 04-05 6.0 models..

the new 6.4 has virtually no turbo lag like you may feel on a few other diesels out there...im not too hot on navistars engines, but the cummins comes in a dodge..daimler-chrysler that is...?? id opt for the ford v-10...

its all personal preforance my friend..there isnt a diesel out there that cant do anything that the other cant do..and as for the cummins being more powerful? c'mon dude, on paper it says it is..how much more power is it putting out than a duracrap, or a powerchoke? and how much can you use this extra power?

www.ford-trucks.com

Edited by suzuki0702

there was never any issue of a head blowing off. the problem was overheating from faulty injectors in the 04-05 6.0 models..

the new 6.4 has virtually no turbo lag like you may feel on a few other diesels out there...im not too hot on navistars engines, but the cummins comes in a dodge..daimler-chrysler that is...?? id opt for the ford v-10...

its all personal preforance my friend..there isnt a diesel out there that cant do anything that the other cant do..and as for the cummins being more powerful? c'mon dude, on paper it says it is..how much more power is it putting out than a duracrap, or a powerchoke? and how much can you use this extra power?

www.ford-trucks.com

I agree with your regarding how all the engines compare to each other. I started this thread simply because I had become very out of touch with what was offered and what was good or bad about the trucks that are currently for sale. The 6.4 Ford is definitely the highest tech. light truck diesel on the market right now. :thumbsup:

This is completely off the subject, but is the lady in your avatar picture naked?

Problem solved, get a manual. It will last forever, take tons of abuse, handles lots more power, and puts more power to the ground. One of my buddies has an 06 cummins megacab with a manual, that thing makes enough torque that you can drive it just about anywhere in 6th gear, you never have to downshift, even when pulling a trailer.