Help Me Decide on a New Truck

Yeah, I think the 6.7 Cummins is probably the engine that I would be looking at getting in a Dodge truck. I have pretty much decided on a super cab w/ doors or a drew cab and a short bed.

I need to get out to a couple dealerships and drive some trucks. I am not sure that I want to deal with the GM front suspension. :confused:

whats wrong with the gm front suspension?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, if youa re serious about test driving and seeing i recommend at least try out the GMC. I'm at a GMC dealer, if you want i can give you my cell phone number and meet up with you there. I'll walk with you up to the front and tell the salesman you're a good buddy of mine.... give you no bullshit, test drive the truck and give you the 1 smokin low price.... no bullshiting.

I new GM front suspension hasn't had much of a reputation for longevity or being able to hold an alignment as the trucks accumulate higher mileage. I could all be a bunch of crap though as I don't have any recent experience with GM trucks. It may just be a myth that has spread across the internet based on all of the difficulty GM had in the late '90's with their IFS.

I may take you up on the offer to come look at GM trucks. I am certainly not ruling them out yet. :thanks:

I new GM front suspension hasn't had much of a reputation for longevity or being able to hold an alignment as the trucks accumulate higher mileage. I could all be a bunch of crap though as I don't have any recent experience with GM trucks. It may just be a myth that has spread across the internet based on all of the difficulty GM had in the late '90's with their IFS.

I may take you up on the offer to come look at GM trucks. I am certainly not ruling them out yet. :thanks:

cool, just send me a pm and i'll give you my cell. As for the alignment issues.... i don't see them. i am the diesel tech so i stick with heavy line and the diesels. I rarely see anything on the alignment rack but i am not confirming nor denying there is an issue with the front suspension, to my knowledge it works and holds up great. There is however 1 issue they DO have. Intermediate shaft. You will get a clunk felt through the steering wheel. there is a new updated shaft that is supposed to fix this completely though. What you could do is just go around and test drive then come to me and test drive and see what we offer you. It should be less then all the others. However, once you start working on a price it is very hard to leave. i know how salesman are. Also, please do not consider me a salesman. I work on the duramax's and thats it. I would like to help my dealer in any way because another sale is another tally on the board and just makes us look better. Just remember you are the one driving it and you are the one paying for it so get EVERYTHING you want. I just want you to be able to know everything we have to offer compared to the other guys.

And to be honest. If you asked for a gas truck i would recommend the new tundra. HANDS down, looks like the best truck available right now (gas).

cool, just send me a pm and i'll give you my cell. As for the alignment issues.... i don't see them. i am the diesel tech so i stick with heavy line and the diesels. I rarely see anything on the alignment rack but i am not confirming nor denying there is an issue with the front suspension, to my knowledge it works and holds up great. There is however 1 issue they DO have. Intermediate shaft. You will get a clunk felt through the steering wheel. there is a new updated shaft that is supposed to fix this completely though. What you could do is just go around and test drive then come to me and test drive and see what we offer you. It should be less then all the others. However, once you start working on a price it is very hard to leave. i know how salesman are. Also, please do not consider me a salesman. I work on the duramax's and thats it. I would like to help my dealer in any way because another sale is another tally on the board and just makes us look better. Just remember you are the one driving it and you are the one paying for it so get EVERYTHING you want. I just want you to be able to know everything we have to offer compared to the other guys.

And to be honest. If you asked for a gas truck i would recommend the new tundra. HANDS down, looks like the best truck available right now (gas).

I appreciate the advice and help. I think my first maneuver will be to get out and drive some trucks pretty informally. I would rather hear from a mechanic than a sales guy any day. With the intermediate shaft that you speak of is that between the steering column and steering box or is it the tie rod from the chassis pivot point and the steering knuckle.

I will special order a new truck before I settle for something off the lot that doesn't have what I want on it. I get a screaming deal on Toyota vehicles due to where I work. I think the associate lease deal for a Tundra is like $140/month including full coverage insurance through the company. I ahve not ever looked into buying a car through my company, but if I get that kind of deal on a lease, I am sure that I would get just as good of deal buying a vehicle. I really don't want a gas vehicle. A sensible vehicle for me would be a mid-size to 1/2 ton truck. I am kind of throwing sensibility out the window on this time around because I want a new toy.

As for dealing with the car salesmen, I heard a new line at the track this weekend that I have been anxious to use on some one since I heard it. The context that it was used in was someone making an excuse to not sit down. The line is: "I would love to sit down, but I think I just popped out a hemorrhoid. Could you help me tuck it back in?" That ought to make a salesman wan't to get away from me as wuick as possible. :yelrotflmao:

I appreciate the advice and help. I think my first maneuver will be to get out and drive some trucks pretty informally. I would rather hear from a mechanic than a sales guy any day. With the intermediate shaft that you speak of is that between the steering column and steering box or is it the tie rod from the chassis pivot point and the steering knuckle.

I will special order a new truck before I settle for something off the lot that doesn't have what I want on it. I get a screaming deal on Toyota vehicles due to where I work. I think the associate lease deal for a Tundra is like $140/month including full coverage insurance through the company. I ahve not ever looked into buying a car through my company, but if I get that kind of deal on a lease, I am sure that I would get just as good of deal buying a vehicle. I really don't want a gas vehicle. A sensible vehicle for me would be a mid-size to 1/2 ton truck. I am kind of throwing sensibility out the window on this time around because I want a new toy.

As for dealing with the car salesmen, I heard a new line at the track this weekend that I have been anxious to use on some one since I heard it. The context that it was used in was someone making an excuse to not sit down. The line is: "I would love to sit down, but I think I just popped out a hemorrhoid. Could you help me tuck it back in?" That ought to make a salesman wan't to get away from me as wuick as possible. :yelrotflmao:

int shaft is between steering column and steering gear.

Yota is supposed to have a diesel coming out sometime as well. I'm guessing a year from now it will be available. that should be killer. i heard they were questioning the use of a duramax as well. May have been a rumor but it wouldn't be a bad idea....

As for the car salesman... good luck with that. That would be a very interesting conversation to follow :blink:

I figured they would have fixed that intermediate shaft by now. They were having that problem in 01-02 when I was still wrenchin. First they wanted us to take them out and squeeze some "special" lubricant in there, then they decided to try a new shaft. Are they still having problems with the window regulators and door check links too?

On the front suspension comment, I never saw any issues with that either. Except it's more expensive to put a lift on.

int shaft is between steering column and steering gear.

Yota is supposed to have a diesel coming out sometime as well. I'm guessing a year from now it will be available. that should be killer. i heard they were questioning the use of a duramax as well. May have been a rumor but it wouldn't be a bad idea....

As for the car salesman... good luck with that. That would be a very interesting conversation to follow :blink:

I figure car salesmen are generally involved in the car buying process for my entertainment pleasure. I haven't met very many of them that I felt that I could actually respect. In fact, I can only think of one guy that I dealt with that I thought was a good, honest individual, that knew alot about his product line, and was good at his job.

With regard to Toyota rolling a diesel engine out in the U.S., it will probably be more than a years wait. Toyota puts diesel engine in everything they sell outside of North America. If fact outside of North America Toyota is primarily a diesel engine company (as opposed to gasoline). The reason you don't see many Toyota diesels in North America is that there diesel engines were not thought to be able to meet our emissions standards (most recent reason). In fact, I am not sure they even tried to make any of their diesel engines meet emissions standards. They thought it was best to develop a gasoline engine line instead which I suppose is traditional Toyota behavior.

I doubt Toyota was every looking at putting a Duramax (Isuzu) engine in their vehicles. In fact, in a different vehicle class market (Class 5 and 6 truck) Toyota (Hino) is a very large competitor of Isuzu. This just my own thoughts on the subject and I suppose stranger things have happened. I believe that Ford owns Cummins, but puts International engines in their light trucks all the while Dailmer Benz owns Detroit Diesel, but puts Cummins engines in their light trucks. :blink:

I figured they would have fixed that intermediate shaft by now. They were having that problem in 01-02 when I was still wrenchin. First they wanted us to take them out and squeeze some "special" lubricant in there, then they decided to try a new shaft. Are they still having problems with the window regulators and door check links too?

On the front suspension comment, I never saw any issues with that either. Except it's more expensive to put a lift on.

I don't know that I would be lifting a GM if a bought one. I have not had the best experiences with lifted GM IFS vehicles.

Is it safe to assume that the GM trucks that are at the dealer currently have this steering shaft shennanigans fixed? :confused:

Not sure about the steering shaft. I got out of wrenching in 04, now I sit behind a computer driving CATIA. I would sure think they have, but even if they haven't it's not a big deal. I was doing them in about 15 minutes, so a guy that hasn't done one before but has a little mechanical ability could easily do it in 1/2 hour. Unless you count bitch time.

I have a lifted dodge with cummin's 2500 with 37's and it rips. Haven't had any problems with it yet, and I also have a dually that I pull my 15,000 pound fiver with along with a 16 foot trailer behind that. Kinda looks like a train goin' down the road, and had to get a combinations license. It just depends on what you are planning on doing with the truck.............. :biggrin:

I have a lifted dodge with cummin's 2500 with 37's and it rips. Haven't had any problems with it yet, and I also have a dually that I pull my 15,000 pound fiver with along with a 16 foot trailer behind that. Kinda looks like a train goin' down the road, and had to get a combinations license. It just depends on what you are planning on doing with the truck.............. :biggrin:

You should post a picture up of that.

For the most part I plan on using the truck as a car. :biggrin:

The new 6.7 Cummins have 2 different versions. In the 3500 Cab/Chasis version the power output is 305HP and 610 torque. In all the other models(3500 Crew Cab, everything else) is 350HP/650 Torque.....

Couldn't edit my last post :confused:

Another thing I like about the new Cummins is the Variable Geometry Turbo, which works great for normal driving around,or hauling. The new Ford's are not a Twin Turbo set up, they are only a sequential turbo set up. And the new 6.4L Fords still only has 10 bolts for the head :shrug: So as long as you stay away from Ford :ohmy:

Edited by Dinner