Help Me Decide on a New Truck

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All I know is at $40 to 50gs for a new truck like that take your time on a pick. I just bought a 06' F-250 diesel 6.0 FX4 and have had no problems with it. I put 26000 mi on it in 6 months driving back in forth from LA to the IE everyday and I have to say that I am supprised with how many miles per gal I achieve (16city/20hwy)! I realy like the dodge truck, almost bought that one. Have fun with you pic :wacko:

All I know is at $40 to 50gs for a new truck like that take your time on a pick. I just bought a 06' F-250 diesel 6.0 FX4 and have had no problems with it. I put 26000 mi on it in 6 months driving back in forth from LA to the IE everyday and I have to say that I am supprised with how many miles per gal I achieve (16city/20hwy)! I realy like the dodge truck, almost bought that one. Have fun with you pic :wacko:

I am not a in a real big hurry. It has taken me since some time last year to get this far in the process. :banghead:

Also, another thing to consider is that diesels can often use alternative fuel sources, such as vegetable oil and biodiesels. They can save you a lot of money on fuel if you are willing to spend some time making them. However, if you ever plan on doing this, do some research on some of the diesel forums before you buy a truck. The fuel systems in each of the trucks responds very differently to different fuels. If I remember correctly, people were frequently burning up fuel pumps in cummins engines running on vegi oil.

Of course, this may not apply to you at all.

Damn, I can't believe this thread is still going...............

If you want a good info site on cummins? Go to Dieselram.com its a great forum with a lot of knowledgable people like here.............. :biggrin:

Yea, another is dieseltruckresource.com..all about the Cummins. You can read up on all the 3 generations, performance, etc, etc. I'm registered on there so if you would like me to ask anything, let me know :thumbsup:

Also, another thing to consider is that diesels can often use alternative fuel sources, such as vegetable oil and biodiesels. They can save you a lot of money on fuel if you are willing to spend some time making them. However, if you ever plan on doing this, do some research on some of the diesel forums before you buy a truck. The fuel systems in each of the trucks responds very differently to different fuels. If I remember correctly, people were frequently burning up fuel pumps in cummins engines running on vegi oil.

Of course, this may not apply to you at all.

Most of the new trucks injection pumps and piezoelectric injectors won't do well tih and thing over B20 biodiesel (the manufacturers say B5). :geek:

I will check out www.dieselram.com and www.dieseltrucksource.com . :thumbsup:

Most of the new trucks injection pumps and piezoelectric injectors won't do well tih and thing over B20 biodiesel (the manufacturers say B5). :geek:

I will check out www.dieselram.com and www.dieseltrucksource.com . :thumbsup:

Yea the new trucks are being made to handle ULSD Fuel, talk about no lubrication :down:

Yea the new trucks are being made to handle ULSD Fuel, talk about no lubrication :down:

The sulfur is being replaced by some additive package that it supposed to be as good or better than the old diesel #2 formulation. I have read that several place, but haven't had any experience first hand with it. Listening to me might not be worth while. :confused:

The sulfur is being replaced by some additive package that it supposed to be as good or better than the old diesel #2 formulation. I have read that several place, but haven't had any experience first hand with it. Listening to me might not be worth while. :confused:

I did not know that, learn something new everyday,lol. Yea the old fuel used to be like 550 parts per million of sulfur, it is now 15 PPM :blink: I know even now with #2 I will run 2 stroke oil, and Power Service :thumbsup:

I did not know that, learn something new everyday,lol. Yea the old fuel used to be like 550 parts per million of sulfur, it is now 15 PPM :blink: I know even now with #2 I will run 2 stroke oil, and Power Service :thumbsup:

Why do you run the two stroke oil? (I am assuming you don't have a two stroke diesel)

Why do you run the two stroke oil? (I am assuming you don't have a two stroke diesel)

Help keep my VP44 lubricated(they are known for failing), and to help keep everything else lubricated(that runs along with the fuel). And it also keeps the engine a little quieter, I like to hear listen to my turbo whistle :blush:

I've just been reading up on some new info about the Auto 6.7...Here you go

Just wanted to share with the group that I was able to drive a 2007 5.9 2500 Mega Cab 4X4 and a 2007 6.7 2500 Mega Cab 4X4 today. They were both automatic with similar options. I am in the market for a 2500 or 3500 and am a big fan of the Mega cab. I wanted to drive them both to see if I could tell any difference and which one I would like more.

I am 100% sure that if you were pulling most of the time the 6.7 would be a great combo, but I will say that not towing anything the 5.9 was much more responsive. I drove each one the same 9 mile route and had a chance to get on the freeway. The 6.7 was a much less responsive compared to the 5.9. I'm sure if you had a manual transmission this would be different but when I compared the two, the 5.9 had greater acceleration from many speeds. I believe this has a lot to do with the low rpms the 6.7 was shifting at. It was amazing that even when I had it floored you could barely hear the engine revving because it just kept shifting. (again I'm sure a manual would be different, but I want an auto)

I also want to make a discloser that I currently have a 1500 Quad Cab Hemi and this is the first Diesel purchase I am going to make. I understand that acceleration is not something most people think of when they buy a diesel, but with as many people Bomb their trucks I just wanted to offer this to the group.

This site has been a great resource for me over the last few days and has helped me narrow in on what I wanted. I've seen a lot of posts where people are in a similar situation to mine and not sure what to get. I would suggest trying to drive both at the same time. I'm sure if you were able to hook a trailer up to it that would be helpful too but I don't think the dealer would allow it.

I have to say that I'm going with the 5.9. I think this is also a good engine and although I'm not crazy about the 4 speed auto, I won't be towing but 10-12 times a year and don't want a manual.

I recently bought a 03 ram 2500 with the hemi. The wife is driving it now -- I want a diesel. I don't buy anything off the lot so I've been looking around at stuff a couple years old. After plenty of looking, driving, and research, I've decided on cummins with manual tranny. You just flat out can't beat that combo (if you can find them for sale, that is :ermm:).

And I found one. 2001, but it's got the 24v with full bank$ power pack and 2" skyjacker and for a decent price. Picking it up Thursday. Looks like I'm gonna have to drop a grand for a clutch that will handle 30psi though :confused:

Edited by GFB

I have to ask: Why do you need to get a new clutch to handle 30psi of boost (what I am assuming that you are referring to)? :confused:

Stock boost on the 2001 CTD was 18 or 19 psi max I think. The banks kit will allow the truck to run @ 30+psi (if needed, of course). The stock clutch won't handle all that extra torque. It all depends on how heavy your foot is though. :evil: