Help Me Decide on a New Truck

Problem solved, get a manual. It will last forever, take tons of abuse, handles lots more power, and puts more power to the ground. One of my buddies has an 06 cummins megacab with a manual, that thing makes enough torque that you can drive it just about anywhere in 6th gear, you never have to downshift, even when pulling a trailer.

I am actually thinking about getting an auto trans. as I think I will be going through clutches fairly quickly and having to shift all the time in the homo SoCal traffic. :ermm:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there was never any issue of a head blowing off. the problem was overheating from faulty injectors in the 04-05 6.0 models..

the new 6.4 has virtually no turbo lag like you may feel on a few other diesels out there...im not too hot on navistars engines, but the cummins comes in a dodge..daimler-chrysler that is...?? id opt for the ford v-10...

its all personal preforance my friend..there isnt a diesel out there that cant do anything that the other cant do..and as for the cummins being more powerful? c'mon dude, on paper it says it is..how much more power is it putting out than a duracrap, or a powerchoke? and how much can you use this extra power?

www.ford-trucks.com

I never said they were the MOST POWERFUL engine. I just ment comparing the two V-config diesels, to the Straight 6, it is very hard to beat the towing power of a straight 6. A straight 6 will make great torque right off the line, the two v-configs have to get the flywheel spinning a lot faster before they start to make their high torque. And I never said they were the highest rated HP truck either, the Duramax is currently at 360HP.....on paper.

And there is lag on those so called twin turbos on the new Ford, it's just a little quicker than the 6.0

I never said they were the MOST POWERFUL engine. I just ment comparing the two V-config diesels, to the Straight 6, it is very hard to beat the towing power of a straight 6. A straight 6 will make great torque right off the line, the two v-configs have to get the flywheel spinning a lot faster before they start to make their high torque. And I never said they were the highest rated HP truck either, the Duramax is currently at 360HP.....on paper.

And there is lag on those so called twin turbos on the new Ford, it's just a little quicker than the 6.0

Most of all the recent horsepower and torque figures that are published by the manufacturer are a product of the looming EPA regulations. I don't think it is worth trying compare numbers from that type of source at the moment. :down:

Most of all the recent horsepower and torque figures that are published by the manufacturer are a product of the looming EPA regulations. I don't think it is worth trying compare numbers from that type of source at the moment. :down:

Oh I agree with you, there are many guys that have put the 3 new diesels on the dyno to see what numbers they actually put out, and not what people say they do stock. :cool:

it looks liek you are in between the chevy / GMC or dodge (leaning more towards dodge). So if you have time read through this and see if there is any good info. http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136724

I couldn't sleep, so I got up and finished reading that thread. I learned several things about the new engines and transmissions, especially the Dodges.

I also learned that there are a bunch of douche bags that post on that forum. There were several people that were blatantly making things up and what was worse, people were agreeing with them. I am pretty sure I could go over there and post something ridiculous, like sticking a dead fish under your drivers seat gives you 100hp in Dodge trucks only, and somebody would probably agree with me. In fact, they might even go so far as claiming that it was either themselves or some guy they know that works at a dealership are the people that invented it. You would probably get another couple guys that produce dyno sheets proving that it works and then following it up by saying that the dyno was stingy and it actually makes 130hp. :banghead: :shoothead:

thats funny firehead, ya being a duramax tech i spent a lot of time on there talkign to people and yes there are quite a few idiots. So what did you learn? I did not want to read the whole thing. I am enjoying learning about the new dodges, Cummins is number 1 in my book but thats all dodge has, just ,my opinion. So please, tell us what you learned.

I didn't learn anything from that post, no offense to who posted it on here! :beer: Those guys were basically talking about how much horsepower the new Dodge's are suppose to have, and the two different trannies :shrug:

thats funny firehead, ya being a duramax tech i spent a lot of time on there talkign to people and yes there are quite a few idiots. So what did you learn? I did not want to read the whole thing. I am enjoying learning about the new dodges, Cummins is number 1 in my book but thats all dodge has, just ,my opinion. So please, tell us what you learned.

I learned about what some of the issues/features are that are found in either truck. If you read past all the bs in that thread you can figure out which engine and trans. combos folks have and what people are doing to/with them. I also found out about the GM IFS tierod issue. Now I don't know if it is as bad as anyone said it was, but it is a starting point for me to learn more about it. :geek:

I didn't learn anything from that post, no offense to who posted it on here! :beer: Those guys were basically talking about how much horsepower the new Dodge's are suppose to have, and the two different trannies :shrug:

That forum is the equivalent of Bluetraxx for the pickup world. :down:

oh i couldnt agree with you more dinner...there will be no v-8 diesal to beat the infamous cummins. but like said above..thats all dodge has...no offense to dodge owners...personal preforance at best! im jsut a ford kinda guy..

oh i couldnt agree with you more dinner...there will be no v-8 diesal to beat the infamous cummins. but like said above..thats all dodge has...no offense to dodge owners...personal preforance at best! im jsut a ford kinda guy..

Oh non takin :cool:

I may have asked this question before and it may have even been in this thread, but is the girl on the bike in you avatar naked? :blink: