Help Me Decide on a New Truck

Furthermore, 2007 -2008, 2009-2010, 2011-2013, will all be rough years for diesel trucks. The emissions technology will change completely each time period, there will not be much time for each in the market and it will be a shitty deal. If you daily drive a diesel truck, you need to buy a 2006 pre-DPF truck or older. I still don't know much about pickups from when I originally posted the question, but I certainly have drank from a fire hose on diesel engine technology and emissions........................It sucks, on behalf of the industry I apologize. :ermm:

post-14489-1184649741_thumb.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Furthermore, 2007 -2008, 2009-2010, 2011-2013, will all be rough years for diesel trucks. The emissions technology will change completely each time period, there will not be much time for each in the market and it will be a shitty deal. If you daily drive a diesel truck, you need to buy a 2006 pre-DPF truck or older. I still don't know much about pickups from when I originally posted the question, but I certainly have drank from a fire hose on diesel engine technology and emissions........................It sucks, on behalf of the industry I apologize. :ermm:

Mmm not trying to start crap :happy: From what I have read and seen...the Cummins Emissions technology will be good up into 2010, so no "upgrading" every year..which is good IMO :thumbsup:

And as well, 07+(Well technically 08+) have to run ULSD...due to their emissions crap. I However would like to stay away from this(though more and more pumps are changing over)

Mmm not trying to start crap :happy: From what I have read and seen...the Cummins Emissions technology will be good up into 2010, so no "upgrading" every year..which is good IMO :thumbsup:

And as well, 07+(Well technically 08+) have to run ULSD...due to their emissions crap. I However would like to stay away from this(though more and more pumps are changing over)

Running ULSD is no big deal and really doesn't matter as far the emissions equipment longevity goes. The ULSD has had an effect on the longevity of pumps and injectors, but for the most part, all of that has been solved. If you have an old truck, the ULSD might be an issue, but for a new truck, it's not a problem.

WIth regard to the CUmmins emissions equipment, the system up until 2008 will be roughly the same is it is for the late 2006 models, which is only roughly better than the brush fire starting, Ford system. The ATD for both of these trucks is made by the same company. Then after 2008, CUmmins will supply a completely different emissions package (no shared parts with previous year trucks) that includes/features urea injection. Urea injection is already on the market in some smaller cars, but the Urea refill process is still dealer-centric and expensive. Beyond that the larger displacement urea systems currently don't work so well. For 2008 you will see trucks with much higher warranty costs, which means alot more truck down time for emissions equipment. If I had to guess, I would say that you may even see a mid-year emissions package up grade to the 2007 engines in the form of a new EGR system and ATD, because both those items (systems) do not work well enough to the point the vendor has simply decided it's not worth the hassle and plans to stop making them. :geek:

My new truck has enough miles on it that I figure that I didn't get a dud of 6.0 litre engine.

?????how many miles to a dud??? nice truck I miss my 04 f350 well I miss mis the truck not the 6.0

My truck has 23k on it. From what I understand, the general rule is that if a 6.o liter engine makes 30k miles before repairs start being required, then it's more than likely a good engine. :confused:

Running ULSD is no big deal and really doesn't matter as far the emissions equipment longevity goes. The ULSD has had an effect on the longevity of pumps and injectors, but for the most part, all of that has been solved. If you have an old truck, the ULSD might be an issue, but for a new truck, it's not a problem.

WIth regard to the CUmmins emissions equipment, the system up until 2008 will be roughly the same is it is for the late 2006 models, which is only roughly better than the brush fire starting, Ford system. The ATD for both of these trucks is made by the same company. Then after 2008, CUmmins will supply a completely different emissions package (no shared parts with previous year trucks) that includes/features urea injection. Urea injection is already on the market in some smaller cars, but the Urea refill process is still dealer-centric and expensive. Beyond that the larger displacement urea systems currently don't work so well. For 2008 you will see trucks with much higher warranty costs, which means alot more truck down time for emissions equipment. If I had to guess, I would say that you may even see a mid-year emissions package up grade to the 2007 engines in the form of a new EGR system and ATD, because both those items (systems) do not work well enough to the point the vendor has simply decided it's not worth the hassle and plans to stop making them. :geek:

Sounds good to me :laugh:

And I agree with the ULSD..the new trucks will run good with it..it is the older trucks(like my own) that I'm a little iffy to run it in..that's why I run 2 stroke oil through my truck :thumbsup:

I'm hoping that the Big 3 will get all the emissions stuff figured out and so there isn't a lot of down time. People are looking to buy new Diesels to tow/haul/play/or daily drive, not to sit in a shop because of engines throwing flames out the exhaust, leaky injectors, things like that.

Have fun with your new truck though Fire, you will enjoy it..Diesel are so much fun :beer:

nice truck you got there, and you are right about the 6.0 engine. I was talking to my father in law about it actually the other night (he's a senior master tech) and he says most problems started showing up in those engines between 10-30 thousand miles. He said if they make it past 30, then they are pretty safe. It was just bad lines of engines coming into the plant. metal issues, wiring issues, fuel injector issues were the main problems.

Right now I'm saving to get a f-350 quad cab with an 8 foot bed. People tell me I shouldnt because its too long, but hell, I drive a 39,000 lb recycle truck all day so. I'd look into other brands but I get my father in laws discount so there is no other choice

Sounds good to me :laugh:

And I agree with the ULSD..the new trucks will run good with it..it is the older trucks(like my own) that I'm a little iffy to run it in..that's why I run 2 stroke oil through my truck :thumbsup:

I'm hoping that the Big 3 will get all the emissions stuff figured out and so there isn't a lot of down time. People are looking to buy new Diesels to tow/haul/play/or daily drive, not to sit in a shop because of engines throwing flames out the exhaust, leaky injectors, things like that.

Have fun with your new truck though Fire, you will enjoy it..Diesel are so much fun :beer:

I am afraid that there is going to be alot of warranty work associated with the new emissions equipment, but maybe someone will work it out for the better, but it's npot going to be anyone who has anything to do with Mercedes, Audi, BMW, or Volvo :geek: . If you see any glowing semi-truck ATD cans out there on new rigs, get away from them..................

nice truck you got there, and you are right about the 6.0 engine. I was talking to my father in law about it actually the other night (he's a senior master tech) and he says most problems started showing up in those engines between 10-30 thousand miles. He said if they make it past 30, then they are pretty safe. It was just bad lines of engines coming into the plant. metal issues, wiring issues, fuel injector issues were the main problems.

Right now I'm saving to get a f-350 quad cab with an 8 foot bed. People tell me I shouldnt because its too long, but hell, I drive a 39,000 lb recycle truck all day so. I'd look into other brands but I get my father in laws discount so there is no other choice

FYI: I get an employee discount of dealer cost at any Dodge dealer and you don't see me riding around in anything of theirs. Granted I would roll a 2005 Ram diesel, but I couldn't find one that wasn't beat to hell.

As for size, this truck handles better than my old F150, but it feels alot bigger. If you are used a recycling truck, I doubt the size will bother you. :ermm:

also turbo, egr coolers, coolant problem not sure if they make it past 30,000 there okay my major blowup was at 61,000

FYI: I get an employee discount of dealer cost at any Dodge dealer and you don't see me riding around in anything of theirs. Granted I would roll a 2005 Ram diesel, but I couldn't find one that wasn't beat to hell.

As for size, this truck handles better than my old F150, but it feels alot bigger. If you are used a recycling truck, I doubt the size will bother you. :ermm:

yeah, his discount is 1% over what it costs to make the vehicle. It's cheaper than what the dealer can get it for, they just get to chaulk it up as another sale. It's pretty hard to turn down the discount, especially when you know you can sell it down the road after a year I believe, and its still worth more than what you paid for it.

I'm not planning on buying one until the truck has been proven. Probably still 3-4 years out maybe even longer. I plan on paying cash, and drop some money in the account for it every week, thats why I'm saving now. I have an 89 suburban and an 86 Bronco 2 both with low miles (about 110,000) and both run like a top. Between the 2 I have less than 1500 into them besides regular maintenance.

I plan on getting a 2003 f-150 HD to add to my stable sooner than the diesel. I have no car payments anymore, and all I have is my mortgage payment, so I need something to work towards my credit. Planned on financing like 10 grand

yeah, his discount is 1% over what it costs to make the vehicle. It's cheaper than what the dealer can get it for, they just get to chaulk it up as another sale. It's pretty hard to turn down the discount, especially when you know you can sell it down the road after a year I believe, and its still worth more than what you paid for it.

I'm not planning on buying one until the truck has been proven. Probably still 3-4 years out maybe even longer. I plan on paying cash, and drop some money in the account for it every week, thats why I'm saving now. I have an 89 suburban and an 86 Bronco 2 both with low miles (about 110,000) and both run like a top. Between the 2 I have less than 1500 into them besides regular maintenance.

I plan on getting a 2003 f-150 HD to add to my stable sooner than the diesel. I have no car payments anymore, and all I have is my mortgage payment, so I need something to work towards my credit. Planned on financing like 10 grand

A mortgag payment is the next thing on my horizon. Actually, I am going to sell my Harley because I don't ride it much any more, that comes first.

THere will be a FOrd F150 with a deisel engine in it after 2008 I believe if you are waiting around to buy a truck, it might not be that bad. :ermm:

A mortgag payment is the next thing on my horizon. Actually, I am going to sell my Harley because I don't ride it much any more, that comes first.

THere will be a FOrd F150 with a deisel engine in it after 2008 I believe if you are waiting around to buy a truck, it might not be that bad. :ermm:

Yea, I believe Ford and Dodge are coming out with a F150, Ram1500 Diesel...what about GM...any news on them?