Help Me Decide on a New Truck

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt Toyota was every looking at putting a Duramax (Isuzu) engine in their vehicles. In fact, in a different vehicle class market (Class 5 and 6 truck) Toyota (Hino) is a very large competitor of Isuzu. This just my own thoughts on the subject and I suppose stranger things have happened. I believe that Ford owns Cummins, but puts International engines in their light trucks all the while Dailmer Benz owns Detroit Diesel, but puts Cummins engines in their light trucks. :blink:

One thing Ford does not own Cummins, As for the engine ford uses I have no clue as to who it is built by, And yes you are correct about the Detroit Diesel.

If you can wait a couple more years Dodge is supposed to have a Cummins V8 in their 1/2 ton trucks.

Couldn't edit my last post :confused:

Another thing I like about the new Cummins is the Variable Geometry Turbo, which works great for normal driving around,or hauling. The new Ford's are not a Twin Turbo set up, they are only a sequential turbo set up. And the new 6.4L Fords still only has 10 bolts for the head :shrug: So as long as you stay away from Ford :ohmy:

I am not in the market for a Chassis/Cab version, so I am safe there. It seems like I hace heard just as many bad things about the Dodge engines as I have about the Ford engines. I still don't have really good feel for what is bs and what isn't. :thanks:

One thing Ford does not own Cummins, As for the engine ford uses I have no clue as to who it is built by, And yes you are correct about the Detroit Diesel.

If you can wait a couple more years Dodge is supposed to have a Cummins V8 in their 1/2 ton trucks.

Is it CAT that Ford own then? It's one of the two. International makes the diesel engines that currently come in Ford light trucks.

If Cummins light truck diesel engine introductions are anything like their class 7 or 8 truck engine introductions, then I would just assume not wait a year or more to be involved in another one of their new engine disasters. :down:

Yes the GM's come with more power from the factory, but the Cummins is way easier to hop up, has tremendous reliability at super high power levels, and the sky is the limit for power.

For potential: In the quad world I'd compare the Cummins to a banshee, and the Duramax to a 450.

i agree with this statement, however.... dodge still doesn't have a proven transmission. Only time will tell. Cummins is a very well known name and is of great quality. The fords are built by navistar which is owned by international. And yes they still do have the horrible bolt set up....

Engine wise i rate it like this......best to worst

Cummins

Duramax

Poop

Powerstroke

Engine and tranny combos in this order

Duramax / Allison

Cummins / New 6 speed whatever it is

Runny / Poops

Powerstroke / Ferd 5 speed

Is it CAT that Ford own then? It's one of the two. International makes the diesel engines that currently come in Ford light trucks.

If Cummins light truck diesel engine introductions are anything like their class 7 or 8 truck engine introductions, then I would just assume not wait a year or more to be involved in another one of their new engine disasters. :down:

Navistar(International) is producing 40% of Fords Engines, well was. Navistar was producing the 6.0L and the new 6.4L for Ford. But Ford and Navistar are having problems with eachother. Navistar was making the warranty costs for their engines too high, and having the warranty's go on for longer or something like this. Due to this, and since most 6.0L suck, Ford did not liking having to pay for all these repairs. So Ford decided to file a lawsuit against Navistar. And since they are still having a pissing match with each other. Navistar has stopped sending their engines to Ford right now(6.4L), so this is obviously a bad thing for Ford.

Check out the new Deisel Power Magazine they have an article on a 800 horse cummins and a 600 horse power stroke. I have personally seen people get more power for less money out of a cummins than a powerstroke............... :evil:

I think that may be one of the magazines that I have. I have to go by the dry cleaners, which just happens to be by Barnes and Noble, tonight on the way home from work so I will have to stop in and see if they have any new magazines.

It kinda seems like the Cummins engine is the way to go, which means a Dodge is the way to go. I need to probably learn more about the Dodge transmissions. Is there a chance that I am going to have a choice between a 5.9 and 6.7 liter Cummins engine (I'm not sure when the new engine was introduced and how dealers handle that sort of thing)?

I am not in the market for a Chassis/Cab version, so I am safe there. It seems like I hace heard just as many bad things about the Dodge engines as I have about the Ford engines. I still don't have really good feel for what is bs and what isn't. :thanks:

Yea so you will be looking at 350HP and 650 Torque(if you get the 6.7). There are two different types of tranny's you are able to get with the new 6.7's as well. There is the 68rfe and the new Aisin. With the 68rfe in tow/haul mode it does not automatically downshift for you, you have to manually downshift it with the gear selector switch on the gear shift. The 68rfe will run in 6th gear in Tow/Haul, the Aisin will not. The Aisin doesn't have the manual shift option, but it does shift down on its own in tow haul.

I think that may be one of the magazines that I have. I have to go by the dry cleaners, which just happens to be by Barnes and Noble, tonight on the way home from work so I will have to stop in and see if they have any new magazines.

It kinda seems like the Cummins engine is the way to go, which means a Dodge is the way to go. I need to probably learn more about the Dodge transmissions. Is there a chance that I am going to have a choice between a 5.9 and 6.7 liter Cummins engine (I'm not sure when the new engine was introduced and how dealers handle that sort of thing)?

Yup, you should have the choice between the 5.9 and the 6.7 Cummins :thumbsup: Are you looking at a 2500 or 3500?

Edited by Dinner

Yea so you will be looking at 350HP and 650 Torque(if you get the 6.7). There are two different types of tranny's you are able to get with the new 6.7's as well. There is the 68rfe and the new Aisin. With the 68rfe in tow/haul mode it does not automatically downshift for you, you have to manually downshift it with the gear selector switch on the gear shift. The 68rfe will run in 6th gear in Tow/Haul, the Aisin will not. The Aisin doesn't have the manual shift option, but it does shift down on its own in tow haul.

How does that all work with the exhaust brake? What is the best way to tell which transmission a truck has if I am wandering around a dealer lot. :thanks:

Yup, you should have the choice between the 5.9 and the 6.7 Cummins :thumbsup: Are you looking at a 2500 or 3500?

A 2500 probably makes more sense for me, but either would be fine. Like I said, I am buying this thing as a primary mode of transportation and toy. I currently don't own anything heavy that needs to be towed or hauled, but I do like to be able to tow my friends trailers every once in awhile or pull their motorhomes out of the sand. :cool:

How does that all work with the exhaust brake? What is the best way to tell which transmission a truck has if I am wandering around a dealer lot. :thanks:

It should say on the little piece of paper on the window what tranny it has in it. If not, then you should be able to look onto the gear selector and see + and - on it. This will tell you that it is an 68rfe tranny, if there is no +, - buttons on the gear selector, then it is probably a Aisin.

Are you wondering how the Exhaust Brake works in tow/haul mode?

Forgot to say: But since you are not looking at a C&C Dodge, you will have the 68rfe tranny :thumbsup:

Edited by Dinner

It should say on the little piece of paper on the window what tranny it has in it. If not, then you should be able to look onto the gear selector and see + and - on it. This will tell you that it is an 68rfe tranny, if there is no +, - buttons on the gear selector, then it is probably a Aisin.

Are you wondering how the Exhaust Brake works in tow/haul mode?

Ok. I haven't seen a transmission model number on any of the window stickers I have seen so far. I will keep an eye out for +/- button on the shifter. Does that gaurantee it to be an Aisin transmission with the +/- in the shifter or could it be something else as well?

I was wondering how the exhaust brake ties in with the transmission doing it's thing.

Ok. I haven't seen a transmission model number on any of the window stickers I have seen so far. I will keep an eye out for +/- button on the shifter. Does that gaurantee it to be an Aisin transmission with the +/- in the shifter or could it be something else as well?

I was wondering how the exhaust brake ties in with the transmission doing it's thing.

Ok the 68rfe is in the 2500 and 3500 trucks, The aisin is in the cab chassis only. And about having a choice of engine, (Not really) if you order the truck it will have the 6.7 for sure, if you happen to find the earlier 07's you will get the 5.9 and the old 48re four speed auto. unless you get a stick.