Help Me Decide on a New Truck

I have recently decided that I need a new truck and after picking up a couple diesel truck magazines I have come to the conclusion that I am decidedly out of date when it comes to knowledge about current model 3/4 - 1 ton diesel trucks.

Like I said, I am looking to get a 3/4 - 1 ton diesel truck with four wheel drive. It will be my daily driver and it will spend most of it's time on-road. The truck will need to be new (2007 or 2008 model) and I do not really have any brand loyalty any more, so that's wide open. Price really doesn't matter within reason. Additionally, i will not be regularly towing anything.

With all of that said, what make, model, options, cab configuration, bed length, etc. would you get and why?

Thanks for the help in advance. :thanks:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If i were to buy a new truck with a gas engine i would buy a new ford F-250 with the V10, XL, crew cab, short bed, 4x4 with the manual transfer case and standerd transmission ( ford has a problem with the automatic tranny after about 95,000 miles), now if i was looking at a new diesel truck i would get a dodge ram 2500 with the cummims that is one awsome truck. stay away from the ford trucks with the 6.0 liter diesel they had a lot of trouble with them. for 2008 ford came out with a new 6.4 liter twin turbo diesel, it might be a good engine but then again it might not because it's only the first year for the 6.4 so i would wait a year or two for ford to work out all of the bugs before i would buy it.

Edited by TREELIZARD

I have quite a few friends with diesels, and I've looked into getting one myself. Yes definately stay away from the Ford 6.0L, and I'm a Ford guy. The new twin turbo is unproven, so I'd avoid it also. The cummins in the Dodge is by far the best engine, especially if you intend to hop it up. The Dodge auto tranny's are subpar though. The Allison in the GM's is great and the Duramax is a good engine as well. The GM's also offer the smoothest ride of the bunch.

I think the Dodge Megacab is the best cab, it is huge. The rear seat reclines, and there is even quite a bit of room behind it.

I would get a 3/4 ton unless hauling a very heavy trailer all the time. I would also get a 6ft bed because you can still haul just about everything, but the shortened wheelbase makes parking much easier.

My first choice would be a Dodge 2500 Megacab with the 6 spd manual tranny...that is one hell of a bulletproof combo. Second would be a GM 2500 with the Allison Auto.

Personally I would get a Dodge 2500 with the cummins and their new six speed automatic. I have owned a duracrack and a powerjoke before i went to the cummins. The cummins is a whole lot better that the rest.

ford is doing a lot of testing and research on the new 6.4 unlike the 6.0. so it should be coming out with very few bugs.

personnally the cummins is the best motor but dont like the dodge body, cab, trannies. their crew cab is the same size as my chevy ext cab. that mega cab is huge but they need to redesign the looks of it. that cummins is putting lots of torque down and was told their automatic were not lasting pulling a bunch. they might have worked this over.

ford has a nice cab lots of room, just got to get the motor bugs worked out.

chevy are very nice. nice interior, ride, duramax and allison run and pull good. but those fucking front ends are just awful. who ever is designing them must be asian.

if things go well im looking into a stroker crewcab end of the yr. will have to see.

i say dodge cummins. mines a 6 speed with an edge attitude chip and monitor. it fuckin runs hard. itll pull anything i want and gets pretty good fuel mileage. suspension is easy to work on also.

i dont care for the look of the chevys at all. they sit way too low and seem to be way overprices compared to ford and dodge. their motors and stuff might be good, but i cant get over the looks of them. ford would be my 2nd choice.

heres my 2005. im a gangster so i put 20's on it with some pretty meaty tires so it would still look like a truck..

n108001394_30335441_1983.jpg

n108001394_30335442_2242.jpg

n108001394_30335443_2548.jpg

Id roll with a new duramax, throw a little lift and some 35's, they look tits. Plus the new duramax has the most torque/HP than the others I believe. Here is a pic of a buddies 3500 duramax with 20s and 35's::

P1010697.jpg

P1010696.jpg

P1010695.jpg

What a beautiful Chev!!

I'd go with a new chevy or GMC. The "new" LMM motor is the same as the previous LBZ only it has all the emissions garbage on it now. All 07's will have the new emissions stuff so keep that in mind. Gm has been testing their new stuff for a few years now and are the only ones that are on track to pass the 2010 emissions. So keep in mind GM tests their stuff. Ford threw out the 6.0 to get by with the emissions for those few years, the 7.3 wouldn't make it (excellent motor by the way). Ford is now stepping up with the new 6.4 to meet current emissions (bit them in the ass last time). Keep in mind too that caterpillar came out with dual turbos for their big rigs and that had many many flaws. Ford is nowhere near the abilities of CAT. So keep in mind, you get a ford with a new motor you may not drive it much. Now the dodge has a great motor, obviously. But thats it, interiors are nasty and exteriors are not my style but look decent. Trannies are garbage, they have had the 4 speed for a while now and are finally stepping up with an all new tranny ( i wouldn't trust it yet). Keep in mind too if you go with a dodge mega cab, 90% of fifth wheels are now out of your range, they do not fit with the tiny ass bed.

So, my opinion is to go with a GMC / Chevy. They have the new body style, allison tranny that can handle another 100 horses on top of what it comes with, Very nice interior with the exterior begging for a lift and bigger tires. 100,000 mile powertrain warranty that nobody else can touch.

My next truck would be the dodge for the simple fact that they have a cummins.

Third and dead last would be the ford for the simple fact they finally got rid of the 6.0 and anything will be better then a 6.0. Plus you can tell everyone you have a twin turbo, it may be in the shop but you have one :-)

i'd go for a 3/4 ton crew cab regular bed. 1 ton will be a stiffer ride and is only needed if you are towing very big.

Just so you know i currently drive an 05 GMC Sierra SLE with the dura/alli combo. It's lifted 6" with 35s and is a ton of fun to drive. Duramax motor is a proven motor has been changed every two years and gets better each time. Oh and also i'm a duramax tech so i am partial to the duramax but i do my research. I also worked at a ford dealer and those trucks are garbage !!!!

I'm a GM guy, but I don't like the new body style either. I'd say go with a 05-06 GMC, their front ends better looking than the Chevy's. And I don't think you can beat the Duramax/Allison combo. Oh, and get the crew cab, short bed.

Edited by dave95.1

If i were to buy a new truck with a gas engine i would buy a new ford F-250 with the V10, XL, crew cab, short bed, 4x4 with the manual transfer case and standerd transmission ( ford has a problem with the automatic tranny after about 95,000 miles), now if i was looking at a new diesel truck i would get a dodge ram 2500 with the cummims that is one awsome truck. stay away from the ford trucks with the 6.0 liter diesel they had a lot of trouble with them. for 2008 ford came out with a new 6.4 liter twin turbo diesel, it might be a good engine but then again it might not because it's only the first year for the 6.4 so i would wait a year or two for ford to work out all of the bugs before i would buy it.

I am pretty sure that the Ford 6.4 liter engine is based around the same architecture as the 6.0 liter engine. I have heard that the new Ford automatics transmissions are ok now, is that true? I really like the new new Dodge tucks if for no other reason that you can get an exhaust brake on the engine as a factory option.

I should probably add that I am planning on keeping the truck for awile after I buy it (I have had my current truck for 7 years). :geek:

ford is doing a lot of testing and research on the new 6.4 unlike the 6.0. so it should be coming out with very few bugs.

personnally the cummins is the best motor but dont like the dodge body, cab, trannies. their crew cab is the same size as my chevy ext cab. that mega cab is huge but they need to redesign the looks of it. that cummins is putting lots of torque down and was told their automatic were not lasting pulling a bunch. they might have worked this over.

ford has a nice cab lots of room, just got to get the motor bugs worked out.

chevy are very nice. nice interior, ride, duramax and allison run and pull good. but those fucking front ends are just awful. who ever is designing them must be asian.

if things go well im looking into a stroker crewcab end of the yr. will have to see.

I don't really like any of the new body styles, hence one of the reasons that I started this thread.

The GM front end it definitely a strike against them. :down:

How does everyone feel about the new emissions equipment on the 2008 models?

Keep in mind too if you go with a dodge mega cab, 90% of fifth wheels are now out of your range, they do not fit with the tiny ass bed.

So, my opinion is to go with a GMC / Chevy. They have the new body style, allison tranny that can handle another 100 horses on top of what it comes with, Very nice interior with the exterior begging for a lift and bigger tires. 100,000 mile powertrain warranty that nobody else can touch.

My next truck would be the dodge for the simple fact that they have a cummins.

The fifth wheel issue is interesting. I will probably wind up with a mild lift on the truck as I don't think I have learned my leeson about lifting trucks yet. :biggrin: