Help Me Decide on a New Truck

Stock boost on the 2001 CTD was 18 or 19 psi max I think. The banks kit will allow the truck to run @ 30+psi (if needed, of course). The stock clutch won't handle all that extra torque. It all depends on how heavy your foot is though. :evil:

How much more power are you figuring the extra 10psi of boost is giving you?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it's not just he extra boost, but the whole package that makes the numbers. Here's their dyno sheet. This truck has the whole power pack system.

http://www.bankspower.com/test_results_AD01.cfm

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ok I'm sorry, but is that saying a stock Cummins is only putting out 146Hp at the rear wheels?

Ok I'm sorry, but is that saying a stock Cummins is only putting out 146Hp at the rear wheels?

No, it's saying the best gain was 146hp. Stock peak power was 179. That kit was put on a 215hp model. 15-20% power loss through the drive train is normal.

No, it's saying the best gain was 146hp. Stock peak power was 179. That kit was put on a 215hp model. 15-20% power loss through the drive train is normal.

Oh ok, thanks

I thought it was saying they were only putting out like 130-146HP, I get ya now :thumbsup:

So you know how we have been talking about the Lift Pump and Injector Pump going on the 24 Valve 5.9's FireHead...Well pretty sure my Lift Pump took a dump last night :down: Driving around all day, truck was running fine. Go to leave out of a friends yard, 100ft away truck has no throttle response, RPM's just drop starts sounding horrible. So I pull to the side of the road and shut her off. Try to start her back up, no go. Get a flashlight and look around the Fuel Lines, Fuel Filter/Canister, Injector Pump, Lift Pump, everything, couldn't see anything. So we tow it back to my friends place and leave it there for the night....This morning I started working on the ol girl, bled all the lines that run into the Injectors, no go. So I bleed the lines running to and from the Injector Pump, Still getting a little bit of fuel, but no start. So I take of the Head so I can take a look at my injectors, they are good to go. Put everything back together and still just turns over and over without starting....

The Lift Pump could have gone a week ago or last night. But I'm hoping it went last night when it started to die so that my Injector Pump still has a good chance of being able to use again :happy: The Lift Pump is like $150(US Funds) so that is no biggy, I could probably replace that myself given a full days work. But now I will be ordering a Fuel Pressure Gauge as well so I can watch for these kinds of things :ermm: Now she is sitting in my yard, no where to drive :sad:

Just sharing a story with you about what the major problems are with the 24 valvers..this it the one, your lift pump can go, then your injector pump can go(or it might not, like my incident). Cause the Lift Pump is about $150, and the Injector Pump, well they range from $1100-$1800(US Funds), and I'm Canadian :sad:

firehead- I just got back from a road trip from nebraska to montana and I was surprised to see the majority of light diesel trucks on the roads were duramax. My dad drives a semi cross country and he has also noticed this trend over the years. I didnt keep count or nothin like that but jus somethin I noticed. There was a handful of cummins and powerstrokes (more cummins than powerstrokes) pullin there snowmoblie trailers and campers but most were duramax, I was surprised, used to be the other way around in the late 90s. If you want my opinion get a duramax, but its each to his own.

Oh ok, thanks

I thought it was saying they were only putting out like 130-146HP, I get ya now :thumbsup:

So you know how we have been talking about the Lift Pump and Injector Pump going on the 24 Valve 5.9's FireHead...Well pretty sure my Lift Pump took a dump last night :down: Driving around all day, truck was running fine. Go to leave out of a friends yard, 100ft away truck has no throttle response, RPM's just drop starts sounding horrible. So I pull to the side of the road and shut her off. Try to start her back up, no go. Get a flashlight and look around the Fuel Lines, Fuel Filter/Canister, Injector Pump, Lift Pump, everything, couldn't see anything. So we tow it back to my friends place and leave it there for the night....This morning I started working on the ol girl, bled all the lines that run into the Injectors, no go. So I bleed the lines running to and from the Injector Pump, Still getting a little bit of fuel, but no start. So I take of the Head so I can take a look at my injectors, they are good to go. Put everything back together and still just turns over and over without starting....

The Lift Pump could have gone a week ago or last night. But I'm hoping it went last night when it started to die so that my Injector Pump still has a good chance of being able to use again :happy: The Lift Pump is like $150(US Funds) so that is no biggy, I could probably replace that myself given a full days work. But now I will be ordering a Fuel Pressure Gauge as well so I can watch for these kinds of things :ermm: Now she is sitting in my yard, no where to drive :sad:

Just sharing a story with you about what the major problems are with the 24 valvers..this it the one, your lift pump can go, then your injector pump can go(or it might not, like my incident). Cause the Lift Pump is about $150, and the Injector Pump, well they range from $1100-$1800(US Funds), and I'm Canadian :sad:

I think the lift pump is going to be a wear/service item on any diesel truck that you get no matter who made it. I think the newer vehicles will show a check engine light if pressure to the injector system drops to a certain pressure. If you get the truck fixed for $150 in parts, I think your probably doing pretty well. :thumbsup:

firehead- I just got back from a road trip from nebraska to montana and I was surprised to see the majority of light diesel trucks on the roads were duramax. My dad drives a semi cross country and he has also noticed this trend over the years. I didnt keep count or nothin like that but jus somethin I noticed. There was a handful of cummins and powerstrokes (more cummins than powerstrokes) pullin there snowmoblie trailers and campers but most were duramax, I was surprised, used to be the other way around in the late 90s. If you want my opinion get a duramax, but its each to his own.

The Cummins are considered a Medium Duty truck...

I think the lift pump is going to be a wear/service item on any diesel truck that you get no matter who made it. I think the newer vehicles will show a check engine light if pressure to the injector system drops to a certain pressure. If you get the truck fixed for $150 in parts, I think your probably doing pretty well. :thumbsup:

Yea, but doing more reading...Both are gone, I cracked the Fuel Lines right open and the fuel was coming out with barely and pressure. Looks like we'll be buying both parts :down: I'll probably fix it myself, save up on labor costs.

If I were buying a new diesel truck 4 years ago, I would be buying a Duramax without question, but now because GM changed the body style I don't find the truck as appealing. Now, I don't really find any of the body styles that appealing, so it's going to come down to the drivetrain for me to make my decision. :ermm:

If I were buying a new diesel truck 4 years ago, I would be buying a Duramax without question, but now because GM changed the body style I don't find the truck as appealing. Now, I don't really find any of the body styles that appealing, so it's going to come down to the drivetrain for me to make my decision. :ermm:

07 classics are readily available everywhere... Also right now there are $2500 in rebates for the 2500hd's with LBZ's.

• 3 months later...

................so, I finally bought a new truck yesterday. I went up to visit my parents in WA and wound up buy a new (actually used) truck from the Ford Dealer. I hadn't had much luck finding anything worth talking about here in Portland and the Dealer in Auburn had something that caught my eye. I'll post pictures later, but what I woung up getting was an '05 Ford F350 with a 6.0 diesel. I have to go to the Oregon DMV and get it licensed today...............I think I would rather go to the dentist. :banghead:

Mark, im assuming that your going to be towing right?

look into the new Dodge. the 6 speed with exhaust break and the bigger motor, that things no fukin joke!

if i had the money id trade in my Dodge to get the new one for sure!

EDIT: well i guess i should have read before posting :) i noticed after i did that you said you got a truck just one post head of me.

Edited by Bansh-eman

Good luck with the 6.0, hopefully you got a good one out of the batch and it doesn't give you much trouble :thumbsup:

Mark, im assuming that your going to be towing right?

look into the new Dodge. the 6 speed with exhaust break and the bigger motor, that things no fukin joke!

if i had the money id trade in my Dodge to get the new one for sure!

EDIT: well i guess i should have read before posting :) i noticed after i did that you said you got a truck just one post head of me.

The 6.7 Cummins with the internal Jakes are great, but the emissions package is not. I bought a 2005 as I could not find a suitable 2006 new truck. My new truck has enough miles on it that I figure that I didn't get a dud of 6.0 litre engine.

post-14489-1184649441_thumb.jpg