Banshee Porting DIY

BLOODRAGE

The gain just isnt worth the time. I finish mine with 320grit emery cloth on a slotted mandrel.

A few years ago i watched a deal on acceleration enrichment theory (automotive) which talked about cylinder wall and port wall wetting. One thing that was mentioned was port surface texture.

The texture is there to keep the fuel in suspension NOT to atomize it as is so commonly repeated on this forum. If the shit isnt atomized when it comes out of the carb you have other problems.

I've actually seen the carbon build up on a set of polished cylinders.so that is why I'm a lil shocked to hear it doesn't produce much power to even bother polishing the exhaust.but that is why we are here in the first place is to learn and share idea's.damn thing is I just polished one jug on a Athena kit and not so sure about doing the other lol

Heat transfers best between to polished smooth pieces.

Reason for less carbon build of on a rough surface would be air turbelance doesnt allow carbon to reallt come in contact with walls?

what does 2 polished pieces have to do with anything ?

we are talking about why people polish the exh port. some say it accumulates less carbon. im not convinced though. maybe its a negligable amount less buildup ?  carbon collects on the pipe walls and theyre smooth. maybe it has something to do with the wall temperature. i really dont know 

from what ive seen it takes years for anything to build up in the port anyways, regardless what texture or smoothness is on the wall. by then youll have taken the engine apart several times for a new piston and clean out the port so it dont matter anyways

I've personally seen very few cylinders with carbon built up in the port. I see it more in the exhaust. Have to be running pretty lean, or just pumping constant heat out to really build up carbon. The unburnt mixture is a nice barrier on the port. We don't have power valves that change flow and direct heat and mixture. It's a constant at all times.

I know those aren't done, but please tell me that's not your work!

That´s the best I can do. We all need to start somewhere. OK, I need some Moroso A+B here and there, but these should make desent power when they are done.

my personal results with polished ports resulted in going to a very rough exhaust.

carbon builds up in low heat area's  if the exhaust port wont get hot enough to burn the shit off  it will collect.  i have in years past had to clean many many moped exhaust ports out becahuse they had become so restricted the motor wouldnt even run.

just cause its on the net  dosent mean its true..  i also cannot rember ever reading any reputable magazine article that suggested polished exhaust ports.  to me  they are there because it looks good  and it seems to me most people buy according to looks instead of performance.  

the things that recently got me thinking were the changes in 4 stroke swirl patterns and using wet tech to change the way fuel. air enter'd the ports.  some of these things i think can be transfer'd into 2 strokes.  to me  2 strokes are very very hard to suggest use a flow bench on.  the flows are constantly changing and there is no way a flow bench can duplicate what the dome is doing and what the pipe effect has on the cylinder.   at least as far as i know. 

• 2 weeks later...

80% of people that ride nowdays (not serious racers) will buy for looks over performance even though it costs more. i've never read anything that suggested POLISHED exhaust ports, but Mazdizzy is the one that comes to mind when talking about a SMOOTH exhaust port .. no polished

Guest mumshouldaswallowed

dont let enybody stop you from doing whatever! ive changed pistons on my rm85! painted my car with 2 pac! design and made a rear bar body kit from fibre glass! 1st time playing with fibreglass too! plastic weld, crash pad on cars for airbags ect! built my own computer from scrach! took out and replace fuel pump on diesel forklift! built a shed! change timing belt, crank seals, on my car! engine swap! tattooing! waiting for an gsx wreck bike so i could pop the engine into my yzf450 rolling chassic! just because i can! cus i want! cus i could! ect ect ect ect kinda out of ideas! atm iam getting ready to rip my banshee engine apart in the near future for the 1st time ever! IF THEY CAN DO IT! SO CAN U! enybody want prove me wrong!?!

from every corner to every street. money is power! knowledge is power!

in my opinion. porting wouldnt be that hard. i have cham. knife edge my rm85. its not that hard. the only thing i would be concern is knowing were to widen or extends the ports. in what place. ect.

just my 50c haha.