Coolant?

Eazy

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guy told me that car antifreeze has a gritty type of shit in it and it will not effect a cars water pump because of its size but in a 4 wheeler it will eat up the waterpump barings...ever heard that???

497895[/snapback]

Sounds like bullcrap to me.

Get some prestone 50/50 and mix in some water wetter.

Works good in my banshee.

Or go to the grocery store and get a gallon of demineralized, drinking water.

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt water transfer heat better than ethylene

glycol (antifreeze)?

:cheers:

Sounds like bullcrap to me.

Get some prestone 50/50 and mix in some water wetter.

Works good in my banshee.

Or go to the grocery store and get a gallon of demineralized, drinking water.

Correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt water transfer heat better than ethylene

glycol (antifreeze)?

:cheers:

497956[/snapback]

Yes but it won't keep it from freezing on a cold day. That is why it is called antifreeze.

ENGINE ICE - HANDS DOWN.

I've ran it in my last banshee, will run it in this one. Don't care how much it cost, after I'm done with it I can dump it in the yard, its non-toxic, and it does its job to perfection.

ENGINE ICE - HANDS DOWN.

I've ran it in my last banshee, will run it in this one. Don't care how much it cost, after I'm done with it I can dump it in the yard, its non-toxic, and it does its job to perfection.

497977[/snapback]

WORD !! :cheers:

Have used watter wetter in the past. Use Engine Ice now. Runs so much cooler.

497899[/snapback]

Does Auto Zone's & Advanced Auto carry this stuff? Maybe cycle shops? Or do ya have to get it online?

Oh by the way I'm a ex Iowian. I know you might find it hard to believe but I miss it sometimes. The people down here in TN. can be soo red & stupid. lol.

When you say you're low. Do you mean in the resevoir? it should be at the low level. Your radiator is fine.

I just use standard ATV coolant premix stuff. I run without the resevoir. I ride in the middle of summer at Glamis no problems. I only know a few guys that run engine ice. Must just help for freezing because we get hot as shit out here. You guys with freezing weather might need somethin else.

there is alotmore in antifreeze than just lowering the tempature at which it freezes. modern antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors which protect the steel, aluminum and brass parts in the cooling system from corroding or rusting. modern antifreeze also raises the boiling point to that which is beyond the cope of running only pure water. now you may think that sence water boils off at 100C than there is no need to run a coolant which boils at 130C or above, but this is not true. this is important because banshees, as well as ANY other liquid cooled engine have hot spots in the coolant passages in the engine which have a significantly higher tempature than the cooler parts and create localised boiling points. youre coolant passages in the cylinders may very well run at 90C, but the cylinder head could be at 110C and small hot spots on the head could be as high as 120-130C.

even with a pressurized cooling system, running antifreeze to eliminate these localized hot spots is very well worth it. no matter what you do, you should not run pure water with nothing else in it. you need the corrosion protection if nothing else.

conventional "green" ethelene glycol is a silicate based coolant. this doesnt mean there are bits of sand in the coolant. it means there is a silicate based corrosion inhibitor that is emulsified into the coolant and yes, after years of use it can drop out of suspension and form deposits. 5thats why yamaha recomends changing the coolant every 2 years or so.

personally, i like the engine ice, or evans coolant. they are the exact same product. what they offer over conventional coolant is an extremly high boiling point, so those localised hot spots in the head wont create small boiling points. they also dont need any cooling system pressure, you can drill a hole in the radiator cap so that the system becomes non pressurized. this greatly prolongs waterpump life as well as radiator hose life. the stuffs expensive, but you get what you pay for.

our banshees also do not have radiator fans. they are at the mercy of the wind speed. running a coolant with a high boiling point is a huge advantage in a banshee. it has a lesser advantage in engines with radiators eqipped with fans.

there is alotmore in antifreeze than just lowering the tempature at which it freezes. modern antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors which protect the steel, aluminum and brass parts in the cooling system from corroding or rusting. modern antifreeze also raises the boiling point to that which is beyond the cope of running only pure water. now you may think that sence water boils off at 100C than there is no need to run a coolant which boils at 130C or above, but this is not true. this is important because banshees, as well as ANY other liquid cooled engine have hot spots in the coolant passages in the engine which have a significantly higher tempature than the cooler parts and create localised boiling points. youre coolant passages in the cylinders may very well run at 90C, but the cylinder head could be at 110C and small hot spots on the head could be as high as 120-130C.

even with a pressurized cooling system, running antifreeze to eliminate these localized hot spots is very well worth it. no matter what you do, you should not run pure water with nothing else in it. you need the corrosion protection if nothing else.

conventional "green" ethelene glycol is a silicate based coolant. this doesnt mean there are bits of sand in the coolant. it means there is a silicate based corrosion inhibitor that is emulsified into the coolant and yes, after years of use it can drop out of suspension and form deposits. 5thats why yamaha recomends changing the coolant every 2 years or so.

personally, i like the engine ice, or evans coolant. they are the exact same product. what they offer over conventional coolant is an extremly high boiling point, so those localised hot spots in the head wont create small boiling points. they also dont need any cooling system pressure, you can drill a hole in the radiator cap so that the system becomes non pressurized. this greatly prolongs waterpump life as well as radiator hose life. the stuffs expensive, but you get what you pay for.

our banshees also do not have radiator fans. they are at the mercy of the wind speed. running a coolant with a high boiling point is a huge advantage in a banshee. it has a lesser advantage in engines with radiators eqipped with fans.

498564[/snapback]

yeah, what he said :)

ENGINE ICE - HANDS DOWN.

497977[/snapback]

Exactly....

RIPPEN