DeTuning cub motors...

:huh: i thought loco was just messin around sayin how crazy woods riders are for gettin the cub thing modded...

382561[/snapback]

Think about what they are doing. It makes no sense.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about what they are doing. It makes no sense.

382562[/snapback]

No JKJK isnt me.

I got emailed about this thread. At first I didnt want to reply to such BS...but I thought- hey why not...certainly cannot bring the conversation any lower with any I have to say.

Im not sure why there is such a problem with taking a product and modifying it so that it works in more than one application. Its done all the time with various engine set-ups, but for some reason- its been declared that you're not allowed to do that with Cheetah Cub cylinders. Anyone care to explain why you cant modify this cylinder so that you have the latest technology to work with? Not every motor that is built has to be built for all out top-end performance. You dont do that when porting stock cylinders- so whats the problem when doing that with a Cub cylinder?

The Cub cylinder is a great cylinder to work with. If we can take it and have it make awesome top-end power and then modify it so that it works for a awesome woods motor- why not have a win win. Simply from the standpoint of having a plated bore- a Cub cylinder makes sense. You'll save $100 every time you would have had to bore up your old iron bore cylinder- seems they'll pay for themselves. Couple that with the fact that clearances are tighter and the engines tend to run considerably longer between rebuilds- again you are saving money and it kind of pays for itself.

Now add in sub exh ports that this cylinder features you can have good exhaust area so that motor makes good power up top, but you have that area with a longer power stroke. Course there is the added transfer area that lends itself to better mid range power. So if we take a motor that has plenty of exhaust area, bring those port timings down so they work with your pipes- doesnt that make sense?

Ive never claimed to have the fastest stuff- never will either. Any chimpanzee can make a peaky all peak power motor- it takes talent to make a wide power spread and have good power as well. Thats what we have always focused on- will continue as well, its what the market wants. Name recognition means nothing to me- my work load does- Ive got plenty to keep my shop busy. Thats my gauge of how things are going- how much work and how many repeat customers I have. Talk all the smack you want, frankly I dont care. Its all free advertising. If Im guilty of building custom motors to fit each customer's needs and not building cookie cutter motors- damn that sure sucks. We'll continue to develope the Cub motor and expand our sales with satisfied customers.

BHQ has always been an "interesting" site, and to most in the ATV community the bastard step-child that everyone pointed and laughed at. I used to frequent the site quite a bit and helped out. Definately have little desire to be associated with the shit splattering around here.... Sure are going to attract a knowledge base of forum users who want to share thier knowledge with the junior high insults and bashing. Pretty classless- but I dont care- the site will continue to go downhill on its current track. Thats too bad for those who like coming here to read about their Banshee.....

Peace out- ride hard and ride often

-Dan

Sandstar,I was at Glamis pres day.Yes my bike ripps+i had the the strongest running bike in our group. I do'nt need to prove shit to anybody,this bs is'nt worth my time.

Edited by JKJK

BHQ has always been an "interesting" site, and to most in the ATV community the bastard step-child that everyone pointed and laughed at.

382569[/snapback]

Glad you feel that way.

No JKJK isnt me.

I got emailed about this thread.  At first I didnt want to reply to such BS...but I thought- hey why not...certainly cannot bring the conversation any lower with any I have to say.

Im not sure why there is such a problem with taking a product and modifying it so that it works in more than one application.  Its done all the time with various engine set-ups, but for some reason- its been declared that you're not allowed to do that with Cheetah Cub cylinders.  Anyone care to explain why you cant modify this cylinder so that you have the latest technology to work with?  Not every motor that is built has to be built for all out top-end performance.  You dont do that when porting stock cylinders- so whats the problem when doing that with a Cub cylinder?

The Cub cylinder is a great cylinder to work with.  If we can take it and have it make awesome top-end power and then modify it so that it works for a awesome woods motor- why not have a win win.  Simply from the standpoint of having a plated bore- a Cub cylinder makes sense.  You'll save $100 every time you would have had to bore up your old iron bore cylinder- seems they'll pay for themselves.  Couple that with the fact that clearances are tighter and the engines tend to run considerably longer between rebuilds- again you are saving money and it kind of pays for itself.

Now add in sub exh ports that this cylinder features you can have good exhaust area so that motor makes good power up top, but you have that area with a longer power stroke.  Course there is the added transfer area that lends itself to better mid range power.  So if we take a motor that has plenty of exhaust area, bring those port timings down so they work with your pipes- doesnt that make sense?

Ive never claimed to have the fastest stuff- never will either.  Any chimpanzee can make a peaky all peak power motor- it takes talent to make a wide power spread and have good power as well.  Thats what we have always focused on- will continue as well, its what the market wants.  Name recognition means nothing to me- my work load does- Ive got plenty to keep my shop busy.  Thats my gauge of how things are going- how much work and how many repeat customers I have.  Talk all the smack you want, frankly I dont care.  Its all free advertising.  If Im guilty of building custom motors to fit each customer's needs and not building cookie cutter motors- damn that sure sucks.  We'll continue to develope the Cub motor and expand our sales with satisfied customers.

BHQ has always been an "interesting" site, and to most in the ATV community the bastard step-child that everyone pointed and laughed at.  I used to frequent the site quite a bit and helped out.  Definately have little desire to be associated with the shit splattering around here.... Sure are going to attract a knowledge base of forum users who want to share thier knowledge with the junior high insults and bashing.  Pretty classless- but I dont care- the site will continue to go downhill on its current track.  Thats too bad for those who like coming here to read about their Banshee.....

Peace out- ride hard and ride often

-Dan

382569[/snapback]

Good post Dan, glad to see im not the only one who feels this way

Glad you feel that way.

382583[/snapback]

That was some of the feedback that I heard people mentioning- thats why I started posting over here- to try to change that perception....one man's crusade I guess....The site has alot of good content- but some absolute terrible BS too that isnt found on some of the sites I frequent.....

Glad you feel that way.

382583[/snapback]

I try to stay out of most of this, but this site tends to like conflict more than content lately. We all know Loco is opinionated and that's what makes him, him. Does that make him good or bad, no.

But Sandstar, what I don't get is that you have taken this negative attitude toward Patriot(Dan) just because he is trying something different with a motor. Wow, just because he happens to feel a Cub can be made to run more than one way, he know doesn't know shit about motors. You might want to do your homework before spouting off. I don't think Dan is trying to drum up work here. Try making an appointment to get wotk done and answer your own question. Nobody ever said he built the fastest motors out there(including him), they just said that him and his motors are "very respected".

I know, Glamis, this Sand Mountain that, Take a Cub, throw a big crank in, and just about anyone can go fast, that's the beauty of these jugs. But not all of us ride dunes all the time, some of us have to have a meaty powerband, not a wide open monster.

Hell, I took a set of jugs off a street bike, added some stroke and had the shit ported out of it, does your way of thinking mean I should have never done it because that's not what the cylinders were intended to do "originally". That's absurd, as soon as someone quits trying to build a better mousetrap, progress stops. Progress isn't always made by success, it sometimes comes from failure.

whoa, whoa, whoa now...i absolutely was not bashing anyone. that quote was directly from dans mouth. i was not trying to start any shit. i just thought it was funny we had a 10 page post about "de tuning" cub motors and here dan says "de tune" in his post...where did i bash him exactly? i have heard great things about his motor and wouldnt hesitate to send him stuff to work on..

SDD, where did i bash him or his work?? did i say something there that implied he didnt know what he was doing? and yes i am a member of PS. i go over and read and on occasion post something. if i had a question about building a big drag bike id go there and ask a question, simple as that. right now im content with what i am running and i got it built with no help from anyone here or PS. i am not as incompetent as you think i am...im not sure why you think im so stupid. i have a bike that hasnt been touched on the hill this year, and can also run pretty well on the flats. i do all my own motor assembly, tuning and every other aspect of setting my bike up..that makes me an idiot? im not quite sure what your problem is. perhaps you dont have a SDD fan club and that makes you mad?? :confused:

odaen, where did i bash im once again?? i didnt post anything there becasue thats not where the original thread about "detuning" the cubs was at. it was right here on HQ and i thought that it was funny someone said "de tune" over there. thats all. i dont see what class has to do with what i posted. once again, i just thought it was funny and never wanted to start any shit again. if i wanted to start shit again id bring back the original topic.

dan, in no way was i bashing you or anything of the sort..we had a pretty heated debate about "detuning" cub motors a while back and saw that you said "de tune" and thought it was funny..in no way am i discrediting what you do or anything like that. i have heard a lot of good things about your work and i even contacted you last year about doing a 4mm for me. so dont take this as a shot at you or whatever these guys think i was trying to do...

hey Sandstar, keep it clean, and oh by the way shut the FUCK up. All i gotta say is all of you guys fighting with words you sound like a bunch of pussies, oo my shee will walk all over your anyday, a quad is a quad a builkder is a builder, they know a lot and they wouldnt say shit if they didnt know it

I think removing material from the bottom of the cylinder is a bad idea.

1. cylinders are now oddball. You are tied to the guy that decked them. Replacement parts will not match up.

2. Seems to me that now you have a head clearance problem. More milling/fabrication needed to fix that problem.

3.No more warranty. Better hope these mods hold together.

Oh, and where do you get a plated cylinder bored?

All in order to give the Banshee a more manageable power curve.

I'm sure you'll have a good answer to these issues, but these were the reasons I called BS.

Why don't those cubs come in a low performance model from the manufactuer?

Because DETUNE and BANSHEE don't belong in the same sentance.

Get a honda and quit trying to make a Banshee's power curve like a 400ex.

Just my opinion.

There is nothing wrong with this site.

Edited by SANDSTAR

hey Sandstar, keep it clean, and oh by the way shut the FUCK up. All i gotta say is all of you guys fighting with words you sound like a bunch of pussies, oo my shee will walk all over your anyday, a quad is a quad a builkder is a builder, they know a lot and they wouldnt say shit if they didnt know it

382634[/snapback]

Set the cool-aid down, man. I know alot of people that have been promised the moon from many different builders. Reality is a whole nuther' thing.

A builder is not a builder, and a quad is not a quad.

Get your head outta your ass.

If you are a patriot fan, great for you. Dosen't mean I have to be.

382634[/snapback]

Ok guys hopefully we have all settled down some. Thanks Tyler for posting in a sensible manner in which you explain yourself. As far as me needing a fan club.. no thanks I don't want or need one. The few people I help out on a regular basis keep me busy enough.

This is the reason I posted what I said before. Tyler you seemed to have brought up and talked about the cubs in many topics and each and every time you say stupid shit like "Oh cubs will make the best trail motor" blaa blaa blaa. Now tell me is that not beating a dead horse? I left that post alone and haven't even touched any of the other cub posts since it's not worth arguing about it. Now when you insult someone directly that I have had the oppertunity to talk with on a couple of occasions, I feel that person should have the chance to retort on your post. Is this not fair?

I'm sorry the rest of you guys had to try to come in here and take sides on such a stupid topic but hey... it's only an opinion.

Sandstar I don't know who the hell you are or what you ride but I sure as hell didn't meet you out at Glamis on Presidents weekend when all the other HQ members from back East where here (John "JKJK" sure as hell did have the fastest banshee at Olds the whole time we were there out of all the people I saw at the hill). If you want to take on Dan lets be fair about it... Thanksgiving 05 lets see you start with a set of nonported stock cylinders on say a 65mm bore size. You buy yourself a 4mm stroker crank and what ever exhuast and intake parts you want. You port this motor yourself and do all your own work. Dan will build up a simular motor and lets see whos motor is fast. I'll place the farm on Dan.

PTT guys on this board do know what I ride and I more than a couple have ridden with me at Glamis. Do I need to post a video of me riding to make you happy? Get a life dude...

02bluemxshee what were you saying about why don't builders post... I think Dan Freakin Wade just told you why...

Shit this site is out of hand... I have nothing else to say

I don't know you either, nor do I care to. Nor do I plan my trips to Glamis around you or anyone else.

Did I claim to have the fastest bike? NO.

Did I get called a fuckhead in this thread by someone who had no points to argue?

YES. Rip on me, I rip on you.

My opinion stands. Bad to deck the bottom of yer' jugs.

:wacko: