DeTuning cub motors...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thata cool. Nothing wrong with going against the grain.

For me, I see a destination. If I am trying to get to viper level performance and I have $80,000 to spend, I won't be going to the subaru dealer. Because what I will have in the end is a subaru. It may be all jacked up, but a rose by any other name...

For $80,000, I for damn sure want somthing WORTH $80,000. I'll take a Viper anyday over any WRX you could put together for the same money. Just because you spend the cash, that doesn't mean you have somthing thats WORTH what you spend.

If that means I am a "sellout", oh well. I'll be able to get most of my 80 back for my next toy, while you are true, but sitting in a subaru that you can't sell.

As for the banshee, it's gonna take alot more than raising ports to be a great all around technical trailbike. You have to admit this point.

One things for sure, good electricians are hard to find. Wanna come to Az and pull a house for me? I pay cash.....

Edited by SANDSTAR

Tell me this.... Who says you HAVE to deck the cyls to lower your port timing? I know of other ways, but why should I share my secrets? On another note. Who says that by lowering your exh duration a few degrees will hurt your top end THAT much? With the overall port layout on the Cubs, I honestly think you could get a much more ridable power curve without sacraficing top end.

Just my 2 cents worth

Tell me this.... Who says you HAVE to deck the cyls to lower your port timing? I know of other ways, but why should I share my secrets? On another note. Who says that by lowering your exh duration a few degrees will hurt your top end THAT much? With the overall port layout on the Cubs, I honestly think you could get a much more ridable power curve without sacraficing top end.

Just my 2 cents worth

383230[/snapback]

Uh oh. :notworthy:

Opinions are always appreciated and in this case since it's a new product being dicussed all opinions count. When you have a build up like that you need to deliver at least enough of your "secrets" to keep us interested. You know when you are just enticing people and when you are giving away an actual secret. This thread been about 25% informative, which is better than most. I think alot can be dicussed here with out giving away anything that could potentially take money away from you or your business. Hell, if you know something that nobody else has figured out yet, you could possibly get some business from this thread alone.

Uh oh.  :notworthy:

Opinions are always appreciated and in this case since it's a new product being dicussed all opinions count.  When you have a build up like that you need to deliver at least enough of your "secrets" to keep us interested.  You know when you are just enticing people and when you are giving away an actual secret.  This thread been about 25% informative, which is better than most.  I think alot can be dicussed here with out giving away anything that could potentially take money away from you or your business.  Hell, if you know something that nobody else has figured out yet, you could possibly get some business from this thread alone.

383341[/snapback]

i didnt start this thread for it to be informative or argumentative. i just thought it was funny that the term "detune" was used. thats it...but carry on anyway!!

This may not have been your intention, but all the argueing and bashing on this site could inevitably lead somewhere. The trouble with thsi site lately is noone is entitled to their own opinion. It has come down to I have this and that and this is the only way to do it. This is where Planet Sand shines above the HQ. They still have there fair share of bickering, but it "almost" always leads somewhere in the end.

I guess this site just needs a little more time to grow up, but hopefully in the end it will become what it always should have been.

;)

I got an email about this post much like dan and i want to put my voice in here as well. I dont post here much, often because of these childish bitching contests, but if anybody on here has a problem with Dan you can keep them to this forum and you will NOT return to PS. He is a good friend of ours and he is a huge asset to our sport.

When he talks about toning down a cub cylinder to be more woods friendly. He is referring to decking the cylinders to lower the ex. and trans timings. Leaving a less peaky motor. Why would somebody do this?

You can now run a trail-friendly pipe with a lower ex.

You have the benefit of a chrome bore

Lighter cylinders

Better Cooling

Better port layout

Easier to port (saves end user money)

Decking a cylinder .050 wont effect any part matching. Domes need to be cut reguardless.

It wont affect reliaibility

There is NO warrenty.

Being that the builder told YOU that the cylinder was decked leaves you the responsibility at a later time to notify your new builder (if you so choose to have one).

Throughtout the entire PS community Dan is by far one of the most knowledable people i have gotten to talk to. It is one thing when a builder can copy a cylinder setup and reproduce it and have a great running motor, but it takes another type of person who designed that cylinder and KNOWS why and how it runs how it runs; that is Dan. His name isnt as well known as some of the other builders, but that is simply because he turns work away, and on a frequent basis. He doesnt want to be a large shop because he does work by himself and he chooses to stay small. He is a family man; and I as well as everybody else should respect that.

BTW, Dan does more then port motors. He builds pipes, builds custom domes from scratch and can even answer the phone when you call! How many in house builders do you know that can do all that? Few and far between. Last 350 motor that i saw of dans did 93hp on alk with inframe cpi's...

Edited by Koolguyson

I really get tired of hearing Planet Sand testimonials on here. If I wanted a Planet Sand indorsement of dan, I would post there.

Don't threaten me or anyone else with being banned from another site because of what was posted here. Thats just stupid on your part.

Keep your reliability cool-aid to yourself until you can prove 3 seasons of hard riding and no problems on multiple engines.

Decking .050 won't affect any other aspect of the engine??

Remind me to stay away from whatever you are selling.

Let's say you have a workmanship flaw like a jacket crack or a loose sleeve.

You can return them.

You can't if you decked them and then found the problem.

And what is the great benny to a chrome bore???

Seems that would make for an expensive rebuild if you had problems. And last I checked, twin carbed two stroke engines can be a pain to keep properly jetted at all times. This is one of the biggest causes of two stroke failure. You can plate it with kriptonite if you want, if your too lean or rich, your gonna have problems.

If BHQ is so bad, why are you getting emails about it? Furthermore, why did you feel the need to respond to "childish bitching" as you call it.

It's because a few people here have open minds and speak their piece without being worried about what the "builders" think.

Try THAT on ps.

well put kool guy

due to constant dick measuring contests with pricks like sandstar who act as if they are all knowing gods

my ass is going to read up over at planetsand much more often

then hey i can at least find out what good ole WALT has been up to

after all he got tired of the same sort of thing

Brockfuzzy,

Planetsand has with out a doubt the smartest and the fastest guys around. I still consider BansheeHQ the site I hang out at most of the time, but Planetsand is the one I learn the most from. Shit like our 80hp dyno slips are a good girlfriends quad over there. It's a shame, but this site will neveragain be what it once was. Just the attitude of some here that think they are the "end all, be all" of Banshees have driven away those that really are. I would love for Calvin to comment in this thread, but I don't think he ever visits this site.

Some may not believe what Kool or Dan have to say, but they really don't have clue what they are talking about anyway.

Isn't detuning more like making a Viper into a WRX? :confused:

383869[/snapback]

Agreed. ... If you want the benefits of a WRX in a Dodge Viper shell, then go for it. (Based on the {guessed} opinion that there must be something that a WRX does better than a Viper).

If my Banshee (modded the way I got it plus more) was 'DeTuned' I would go faster in MX! But I put that down to inexperience. ... I'm learning the hard way! :lol:

Rare.