Critique my 4mm woods build

MLack

Good luck with that man, he recently setup my banshee and it has nothing but problems. I dropped off my entire bike to him so that he could do a stock stroke, stock carb, dune port build. I told him if it needed a top end to do it. He calls me a few days later and lets me know that he did a compression and leakdown test and that everything was fine. So i get my bike back and decided to change the plugs, first thing i noticed was that the threads were really tight and it took forever to remove just one plug. After that I decided to do a compression check and it only put out 90 psi on both cylinders. We checked the same gauge on my dads 98 dodge ram and that was putting out 135-140 psi. I decided to squirt some oil in the cylinders of my banshee and the psi went up 5-10. Bike ran like shit at dumont and couldn't launch for shit in 2nd gear this past weekend. It kept bogging even with a 180lb rider. First was better, but still pathetic. I call him back and he says that the bike had 145psi stock and 150 after the shaved head. How is 145 psi on a worn top end with a stock head possible? makes no sense. Also I checked my plugs and after just one day they were black and wet. My mix was at 32:1 so It wasn't that rich, he told me to lean it out to 40:1 and mess with the jetting and carburetors. So to sum it up, he said he will try and fix it, but he's going to charge me all over again. The bike obviously left like that from his shop, but he seems to disagree. I had some high expectations based on all of these reviews, but they were far from met. Also the bike doesn't fire right at part throttle, cylinders fire randomly and pop like crazy. Also the timing was only set at +2 and not +4 like he said he left it. I will now look into another builder to set my bike up because the last thing I want to do is go in circles driving back and forth from LA to SD. I'm very disappointed with HJR.

You're the first person I've ever heard of having a shit motor come out of there, but You should have given him a build plan other than just do what ever if your gonna port atleast get a hone with new rings why on earth would you give your motor to a builder and do it half ass??? Idk maybe he did jack it up but I seriously doubt it

He did the entire setup in 1 week exactly. Seems like he just wanted to get it out of there asap. I don't know, but my bike was better off stock with just a K&n and pipes than how it's now. I called another builder and he told me that people go to him with Hjr motors that aren't running right because of improper dome setups. So I doubt i'm the first one with problems.

Hard to say what happened there. Pull it apart and have someone else look at it and report back with their findings. 

For now I have full confidence in what he can do. From talking to him, and a few members here with this port; I don't anticipate any problems. 

CAMATV: Thanks for the input and the PM about the trans. Ill be sending you the trans once funds allow after the crank and porting is done. 

If a compression test is good, i personally wouldnt of did a new top end either unless it had a lot of time with him.

After all of this is settled, go to another builder if you arent happy. That's the beauty of different shops. Keep going until you find a one you like.

i think alot of shops nowdays are nothing more than parts changers working out of a 10x10 shed behind the house. half the work is probly farmed out to a third party so all they really doing is assembly. rarely is everything done in house these days

5a8esujy.jpg

We've actually moved the engine program to the kitchen. It's cleaner and closer to the parts washer. The shed is still used for all chassis prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• Like 1