Critique my 4mm woods build

MLack

However earlier it was mentioned to pay up a little more and get the brand new Hot Rods crank........way better idea.  No offense to kevin....but we have heard of more than a "few" of the cranks that he builds fail....and fail terribly.  Mainly I believe it has been conceived that he is using weaker connecting rods, and they are failing hard. 

Call Jeff at fast.....one hell of a stand up guy!

Thanks for all the replies. 

Running 20" rear tires and will probably go back to stock gearing and go from there. 

Suspension is taken care of so so no worry there. Plus I'm kind of stuck building the motor as it grenade'd last year. 

Now you guys have me worried about the crank. A quick search has yielded mixed results. Its not a china crank but it isn't a Hotrods either.  Hmmmm..... Guess I have some more research to do. 

Just send your cylinders and top case half to HJR if you want for porting, boring and case matching.

Hit up other shops like Redline, Wildcard or FAST and see what they can do for you.

IIRC, Wildcard ports a wicked Trail/MX cylinder...

Kevin's trans work is bank compared to what camatv does for us.

Suspension is key.

I can't ride my 2002 Banshee any harder or jump it any higher because my stock suspension sucks ass.

My buddies on new KTM XC's can go way faster thru rough stuff and jump way higher because of their badass stock suspension.

But that will soon be handled with Fireball LT A-Arms and LT Elkas.

Suspension is taken care of so no worry there.

What do you have for front suspension?

I'm kind of stuck building the motor as it grenade'd last year.

Now you guys have me worried about the crank. A quick search has yielded mixed results. Its not a china crank but it isn't a Hotrods either. Hmmmm..... Guess I have some more research to do.

You should be worried.

You'll end up paying $60 more for the HotRods.

http://www.herrjugsracing.com/Cranks_Pistons_Cylinders_Cases.html

I wouldn't chance it.

2nd and 4th lines of text on the following page are all that matters.

$450 4mil HotRods crankshaft w/Extra Weld.

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=78

What do you have for front suspension?

You should be worried.

You'll end up paying $60 more for the HotRods.

http://www.herrjugsracing.com/Cranks_Pistons_Cylinders_Cases.html

I wouldn't chance it.

2nd and 4th lines of text on the following page are all that matters.

$450 4mil HotRods crankshaft w/Extra Weld.

http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=78

Ill be looking into that crank for sure and I'll call Wildcard about their MX port. I liked what Kevin had to say about his MX port so.......IDK. 

+2+1 A-Arms w/ Elkas and a revalved and new spring on the rear. Stock swing arm. 

I have the same motor your looking to get from HJR, I have not had any issues what so ever with it! I got the chariot's reed cages and im running pro circuit platinum with 304 silencers! Runs like a champ, Kevin does good work and is always willing to answer questions for you!

Ill be looking into that crank for sure and I'll call Wildcard about their MX port. I liked what Kevin had to say about his MX port so.......IDK. 

+2+1 A-Arms w/ Elkas and a revalved and new spring on the rear. Stock swing arm. 

I am looking into HJR's 4mil MX Port too.

But IDK.

I've read horror stories about incorrect 4mil stock cyls domes.

Dig a little deeper and you will see.

Nice suspension.

I'm going to respring/revalve my stock rear shock for now as well.

Eventually I'm going to go with the rear Elka LT Link and rear Elka LT shock, but that's after I part out my 87 of course...

4mm MX port is going to be a brutal woods combo. I will have HJR do the porting and the domes but I may source the crank elsewhere. I'll give Kevin a call and see what the sticky is on his crank. 

Can anyone elaborate on this "promod" transmission from Redline? Their website didn't tell me much. I called them today but no answer. 

Edited by MLack

Another thing that is commonly done to help the trans shift better is install a roller bearing into the case where the other end of the shift drum twists.

The OD of the bearing pops right into the bore in the case.

Then in a lathe, precision machine the end of the shift drum to fit the inside diameter of the roller bearing, you follow me?

Sourcing the proper roller bearing is the first step...

Another thing that is commonly done to help the trans shift better is install a roller bearing into the case where the other end of the shift drum twists.

The OD of the bearing pops right into the bore in the case.

Then in a lathe, precision machine the end of the shift drum to fit the inside diameter of the roller bearing, you follow me?

Sourcing the proper roller bearing is the first step...

I got you. I've read a few threads about it. Found one link to a specific bearing that should fit. Seems like all of these little things should add up to a decent shifting trans.