To Port or not to Port ... Help with build !

BumpaD_Z28

Hello, after WAY TOO MANY hours on a stock cylinder 1999 Banshee, it finally "burned down" and needs a rebuild ...

The non cosmetic mods were:

Pro-Tec boost bottle (going to eliminate that)

Toomey's T-5 pipes, and Cascade billet exhaust clamps

K&N POD filters w/ outerwear's

K&T performance:

Milled head (don't know how much?),

Lightened flywheel, and +4 timing

plus 2" rear swing arm w/ braided rear brake line

Boysen power reeds W/ spacers

CASCADE Clutch Disengagement Adjuster

CASCADE Modified Shift segment

Pro Design Billet water pump Impeller

I had no problems running with my friends 450's and Raptor 700's up the hills ... But now some of them have gone to Hi-comp pistons and Hot cams ...

So my plans are:

NOSS cool head with 19 or 20 CC domes (I ride at St A. ID and Little S. UT both ~5000 ft)

The stock head got a lot of "damage" from the rings being slammed into it

So now do I have F.A.S.T or Herr Jugs do a DUNE port job on it along with the bore (I think .010 will clean it) and Wiseco pistons / rings / etc. ???

-OR- just have it bored locally, throw some pistons in it and hope it is as fast as it once was ....

I'm worried about having only a "light switch" top end, I do only ride the dunes, but the quad always seemed to have excellent mid/low end performance. Also I can't imagine how, but will porting effect reliability ? I rode 2 years with less problems than some of my 4 stroke friends with NEW quads !!! (I do routine maintenance religiously)

Any thoughts appreciated !!! THANKS ~DaVe

post-24164-1233171796_thumb.jpg

Easy......port that bad boy. You will wonder why you didn't do it earlier. You can get power from top to bottom. Its up to you and what you want.

So from your site:

Dune/Hillshoot $300.00 + Full rebuild $295.00 = 595.00

+ The cool head / domes (keeping them seperate as they are BOLT ons) ...

Correct ?

~DaVe

Edited by BumpaD_Z28

So from your site:

Dune/Hillshoot $300.00 + Full rebuild $295.00 = 595.00

+ The cool head / domes (keeping them seperate as they are BOLT ons) ...

Correct ?

~DaVe

That's correct. You tell me your pipes and where you want the power. The dune port name is just generic for full port job from me. I can fix you up. 2 week turn around time.

I agree.. Port jobs can bennifit MOST everyone!

RIPPEN

PSHH.....I haven't even ported yet. I just like those CP Industries cylinders....... :biggrin:

Definitely get a port job bro, you'll love it and as Kevin said they can port them to get the power where you want it and to compliment your pipes. I'm even holding on to my stock cylinders to get them ported someday and build myself another motor. Gotta have a spare right?

z28 I have ridden at both places you ride at and know what it takes to make power at your altitude. Do your research and you will be happy with porting. Seems alot of people are getting porting from others and not getting the bottom end they want. ANyone can make top end power, so discuss with whomever is doing your work and make sure to get what YOU want/need.

yeah i would defo recommend porting, i had a pretty stock shee last year and i thought it was the nuts, i did a couple of little things like vf3's +4's and pods with outerwears and it blow most 4 bangers away, i got this new one wuth paul turner porting and huge carbs and its f*cking insane

That's correct. You tell me your pipes and where you want the power. The dune port name is just generic for full port job from me. I can fix you up. 2 week turn around time.

z28 I have ridden at both places you ride at and know what it takes to make power at your altitude. Do your research and you will be happy with porting. Seems alot of people are getting porting from others and not getting the bottom end they want. ANyone can make top end power, so discuss with whomever is doing your work and make sure to get what YOU want/need.

Well it looks as if it is unanimous, get the porting done ...

Now the age old battle of Jeff or Kevin :) ...

Thanks everyone !!!

~DaVe