Your very first Quad

Kayleigh

so i'm looking to get MY FIRST quad ever in the next few weeks and i was talking to my buddy dan about banshees (cuz he worships them).

well since i dont have hardly any experience on quads in general, my friends have all made it loud and clear that i shouldnt start off on a banshee....i guess i would kill myself, they've told me :confused:

well i've been doing some research on quads and i've found a few that seem to suit my needs. BUT i would love to hear from you guys on your VERY FIRST QUAD/QUAD RIDE.

what would u recommend to a beginner who's completely in love with these machines???

mucho gracias

u can also IM me on yahoo: stylinsilver2000

or email me: stylinsilver2000@yahoo.com

Edited by Kayleigh

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 strokes are naturally easier to learn on. Even big 4 strokes like the yfz450 are very beginner friendly. I don't think a banshee makes a bad first quad, as long as you understand the machine's capabilities and your own limitations you'll be fine. What kind of terrain are you planning to ride on? That'll have more bearing on your first quad choice than any other aspect.

lol, come on guys... ive been riding quads for 5 years and racing for 2 and the first time i jumped on a banshee it scared the shit outta me, i dont think a banshee would be a good quad at all to begin on. I think a 400ex would be a great choice. That quad has so much potential as a B class racer but not too much power. Just my opinion.

Josh

yea my bud dan suggested a 4 stroke but i dont know wat would be the best kind to "grow on"...

i read a lot into honda raptor's but everyone is telling me they're slow.

i would gladly jump on a banshee right now and fly away, but i don't think i'd survive...not with my inexperience!

:rotflmao:

my first quad was a banshee, I didn't have much experience either. What you could do is get a stock banshee and as your experence grows you can start to modify it to keep up with you instead of buying something else and "working" your way up to the banshee. It's really up to you though. Just go with whatever you are cofortable with.

yea my bud dan suggested a 4 stroke but i dont know wat would be the best kind to "grow on"...

i read a lot into honda raptor's but everyone is telling me they're slow.

i would gladly jump on a banshee right now and fly away, but i don't think i'd survive...not with my inexperience!

:rotflmao:

455594[/snapback]

Your primary objective shouldn't be to go fast. It should be to learn. My wife grew up on 4 wheelers, but hadn't ridden one like a banshee ever. She was scared at first, then soon she was jumping with us, and flying through the dunes (as opposed to flying into the dunes).

I've seen a few other girls swing a leg over a banshee only to be scared to death to click it into 2nd gear. Fear will be your friend on one of these. Respect the bike, learn the bike, and know the terrain you will be riding on. You don't just jump on it and take off like a bat out of hell your first time. Thats a great way to die.

I've ridden 4 wheelers since I was 10, and the first time I got on my Banshee I hit some sort of weird bump in a trail too fast, I wasn't expecting anything, and my helmet slammed into the handle bars hard enough for me to see stars. Actually I had that happen twice before I got it figured out. It should have happened the first time but I was caught up in the "holy shit I'm flying" moment.

I think if you use your head you can grow into a banshee but you have to keep it in the front of your mind what you are doing at all times. Not thinking about last nights episode of Desperate Houseflys n shit like that. Gain the experience in baby steps as well.

lol, come on guys... ive been riding quads for 5 years and racing for 2 and the first time i jumped on a banshee it scared the shit outta me, i dont think a banshee would be a good quad at all to begin on. I think a 400ex would be a great choice. That quad has so much potential as a B class racer but not too much power. Just my opinion.

Josh

455573[/snapback]

thats what i was thinking. a modded 400ex will fly. then when that doesnt fly fast enough get a banshee.

my first quad was my banshee, before that i had a little ttr-125 dirtbike, so it was a big jump, i just kept the throttle screw in for the first few weeks and unscrewed it a little a a time, and after about 3 months i unscrewed it completely and threw it in the tool box. i wouldnt reccommend doing what i did unless you learn to respect the machine, i was scared at first, which is a good thing. but now i actually scare myself because i think now im getting a little TOO comfortable with my shee.

its all up to preference and skill i guess, we cant really choose for you... i would suggest try and find a rental place if you can, or find a trusting friend that will let you take their bike out for a test ride...

Edited by jeepman137

buy a banshee. On the thumb throttle there is a screw that you can turn in so you dont get full throttle. If you are affraid of hurting yourself or going too fast then you just turn the screw in more. Once you gain trust in yourself then you can set the screw where ever you want it. You could turn the screw in so far that a 5 year old could ride it to 10mph max. Dont waste your money buying one quad you dont want then in a month you will be bored and have to sell it and buy what you really wanted in the first place.

my first quad was a yamaha breeze :headbang: good times funnest damn quad ive ever owned as far as street riding goes

as for a beginer quad i would sugest a 4 stroke i would say a 450 would be good even a little quad just till you get the basic concepts of riding my turing point from to begginer to intermediate was on my 250 ex preatty good quad not much power but a great learners quad

My VERY first quad was my Banshee, my wife gave it to me for my birthday, before that I only rode a honda 300 4trax down a parking lot. So as you can imagine, when I got on my Banshee and cracked the trottle open (expecting it to react like the honda) and it stood on the grab bar, your damn right I shit myself but I learned my lesson and in three weeks I was doing small jumps and crashing like a pro. If you ask me I think its a great beginner Quad with endless potential towards any form of racing! It can defiatley grow as you do!