Your very first Quad

Kayleigh

My first was a banshee, if you are thinking about getting a banshee then do it. No use wasting money buying something else so you can learn because the banshee is a whole different ballgame from most 4-strokes and it takes a different riding style & mentality.

Also, the banshee can be very reliable if you maintain it properly. If something does break though its soooo simple to work on them.

So no use learning to ride something else if the banshee is where you want to be eventually. A stock banshee is fast, but not tooo scary yet. So if you are worried about it learn on a stock banshee.. then start modding the shit out of it!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first quad was a banshee, I didn't have much experience either. What you could do is get a stock banshee and as your experence grows you can start to modify it to keep up with you instead of buying something else and "working" your way up to the banshee. It's really up to you though. Just go with whatever you are cofortable with.

455604[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing, a stoke banshee shouldn't be THAT big of a hand full even for someone starting out. I had only ridden on 4X4's and a Mojave before I jumped on a Raptor and gave it hell. Wasn't that big of a deal... Me personaly i wouldn't buy a bike just to learn on and then go buy another later. Have your friend show you how to ride a bit and have him help you decide. After seeing you ride he would probably have a good idea of what you can handle :shrugani: Oh and I saw the Honda Raport thing too-- :lol: gotta love the newbies!!!

RIPPEN

I've ridden dirt bikes for almost 40 years (keep the jokes to yourself), and I never thought I would ever want a 4 stroke. After riding some newer 4 stroke MX bikes, I eventually bought a well-built YZ400F. 4 strokes are so much easier to ride, and are much more forgiving of mistakes due to the wide powerband. All the manufacturers have figured out how to build high-performance 4 stroke engines.

I never really wanted a quad until I rode a friend's 300EX at Pismo a few years ago. Plenty fast enough for an "experienced" beginner, but very easy to learn on. Of course, the year-round green sticker is also a plus.

Of course, now I'm hooked on the dunes and own a Banshee, but I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner, especially for trailriding. A Honda 400EX or a Suzuki/Kawasaki 400 would be a much better choice, IMO.

I wouldn't recommend one for a beginner, especially for trailriding. A Honda 400EX or a Suzuki/Kawasaki 400 would be a much better choice, IMO.

455961[/snapback]

This is the big thing. I have no problem with reccomending a teenager get a banshee for a first quad, as long as they are smart about how they ride it. But it depends on terrain. I don't think a banshee is anywhere near a good bike for a beginer if they are mostly going to be riding in tighter trails. Not only will it be a handful for them, but they aren't going to have as much fun as they would on a torquey four stroke that they can ride slower. Just my .02

Edited by ogre03

Ya but from where she is Glamis and Dumont dunes are only about 3 hours away. I'd have to guess but I think the nearest trails are about 1-1.5 hours. If you were that close to both of those places would you even think about anything other than a shee?

Don't get me wrong, my yfz450 is a great bike for beginners or experts, and I actually prefer it on tight trails. But if you're a banshee lover and you're near dunes, I say just go for the shee from the start. If you do go with a 4 stroke, I wouldn't go any smaller than a 400. My wife had a 300ex and she couldn't follow me up every hill. Even piped it just didn't have the ponies. Now she has the 450 and tears it up!

oh god......sorry.......

nobody kill me please.

yes, i said Honda Raptor. COME ON cut me some slack this time....i've only just started learning these things.....

i meant a yamaha raptor.... :cry:

my apologies... :flush:

I just found this web site a couple of hours ago, and just have to respond to this as my first post

My Y2K Banshee is my first quad which I bought from my son last April. My first ride on a quad was last Feb when I rode a Honda Utie 4 wheel drive for a couple of hours and then a Polaris Scrambler for a couple of more hours the same day. 1981 to 1985 I rode and occasionally raced motocross on a Yamaha IT 250 dirt bike. Once I sold the dirt bike in 1985, I had not ridden anything off road until the Honda Utie last Feb.

My oldest son was upset with his brother for selling me the Banshee as he had put some major power mods in the engine plus pipes, and said I would kill myself on it. Compared to the It 250, it does have a kick a$$ power band. I easily beat new Honda 450s with factory pipes and stock DS 650s climbing Olds on my first trip to Glamis recently. With my It 250, to climb a steep hill I would take a run to it upshifting on the flat and then down shifting to keep it in the power band. Climbing with this Banshee, I UPSHIFT all the way to the top! At Glamis, I always started out behind all my friends on their Honda 450 and DS 650s, and passed them easily before getting to the top. What a blast!

I now have ridden the 4 strokers, and while they are easier to manage they seem boring to me, the sheer fun of the Banshee just can't be beat. The more I ride it, the more fun it is. I now would not trade it for anything (before I had put much time on it, I was going to sell it and buy a new 4stroker). I also use it to trail ride, and have been able to go anywhere the Uties go, and have more fun doing it. I am sure on the very technical trails I would want a 4 wheel drive utie, but the trails we ride are not that difficult, plus I like the challenge.

So, in my opinion, the Banshee is a fine 1st machine, but go at it easily and learn as much from other Banshee riders as possible. You need to really stay on top and ahead of this machine as it can really kick you in the butt if you let it. Don't ask me how I know. Oh by the way, I am 58 years old.

Have fun and be Safe!

Chips 2000

My first was my Banshee too. I had ridden dirt bikes for several years prior (two strokes) so I had a decent idea what to expect. But like everyone else has said, as long as you are aware of the capabilities of the bike, and more importantly yourself, there is no reason why you couldn't start on a Banshee. A friend of a friend's (kind of thing) 11 year old daughter rides a Banshee. They have the throttle limited so she can't go ape on it, and it is stock, but she wings that thing around. Another plus to the Banshee, as many have mentioned, is that you can continue to build and build so that the bike will keep up with your ability. I will say that I think a lot of people outbuild their ability, but hey having the baddest bike around is still cool, even if it is too much for you really. :cheers: