How To Install YFZ450 Shocks On Your Banshee...

Stinger

I got my YFZ450 shocks mounted. Very nice write up here. I also used "Gimmeabeer's" advice about removing the springs. That made taking them off and on very easy while test fitting everything. I also used a large phillips screw driver to slip into the lower shock mount to hold the shock in while checking the clearances. For modifying the mounts I used an air powered cutoff wheel and it made the cutting and clearencing a cinch.

Everyone's comments about these shocks are right. They raise the front end up (which I wanted), they are stiffer (which I can live with), they aren't that hard to install (if you have the tools) and I'll add my own: they are a lot lighter in weight than the stock shocks.

I got mine for $210 shipped. This was a deal to me for aluminum adustable shocks with resi's.

Good Luck with yours,

Gears

I also used "Gimmeabeer's" advice about removing the springs.

I got mine for $210 shipped. This was a deal to me for aluminum adustable shocks with resi's.

glad to be of help. and they arent only alum, but rebuildable too!

glad to be of help. and they arent only alum, but rebuildable too!

Hey, I am new to this site and new to Banshee's so bare with me.I am a very capable mechanic and do all my own work but I don't know everything and I am very eager to learn.I have a 99 that i rode for the first time this sat and is was awsome.I have 450 shocks with stock a-arms no problems but I want to put on 450 a-arms but want to keep stock hubs ,spindles ect.I did do a search but could not find the answer.So can I use 450 a-arms with stock spindles and hubs.I have been lurking around for a while and it seem;s like you people know you stuff.

Hey, I am new to this site and new to Banshee's so bare with me.I am a very capable mechanic and do all my own work but I don't know everything and I am very eager to learn.I have a 99 that i rode for the first time this sat and is was awsome.I have 450 shocks with stock a-arms no problems but I want to put on 450 a-arms but want to keep stock hubs ,spindles ect.I did do a search but could not find the answer.So can I use 450 a-arms with stock spindles and hubs.I have been lurking around for a while and it seem;s like you people know you stuff.

Hey Badley, welcome to the bhq! Yes you can convert your shee to yfz a-arms. If you go to the 2nd page in suspension and look through "yfz 450 shocks" you'll find some useful help. Bump steer might be a negative.

Hey Badley, welcome to the bhq! Yes you can convert your shee to yfz a-arms. If you go to the 2nd page in suspension and look through "yfz 450 shocks" you'll find some useful help. Bump steer might be a negative.

I read that post many times but I guess not close enough.I found my answer. :thanks: for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

You have to mod.

The YFZ shock is shapped different, it has a resi attachment built outward.

You have to make room for it! Just shave it a bit. Take close look at my pic above.

Also had to shave the shock bottom. I smoothed it out good with the grinder.

Banshee47.jpg

Some say they're too stiff & bike sits high.. I don't think that's the case with extended A Arms. Shocks were set hard. I was running my Banshee thru rocky trails & rolled right over everything really smooth. I was impressed by the performance! I'm going to Dumont this weekend & I'll see how they do.

TexasCyn004.jpg

the only thing i have read about is "upgraded valving" in the '06-'07's

should physically be the same

im taking a machining class next semester, and im getting my job back at the machine shop next semester also, so ive been thinking. i wonder if i could take the Racetech gold valve out of my rear shock, and scale it down the make some ones for the fronts. RT makes a kit, but its like $200 each side, kinda pricey. plus it would be a good project, but maybe not until i take my class on fluids. i dunno.

im taking a machining class next semester, and im getting my job back at the machine shop next semester also, so ive been thinking. i wonder if i could take the Racetech gold valve out of my rear shock, and scale it down the make some ones for the fronts. RT makes a kit, but its like $200 each side, kinda pricey. plus it would be a good project, but maybe not until i take my class on fluids. i dunno.

lol i dunno either.

go for it tho. the wheel wasnt invented without trial and error

lol i dunno either.

go for it tho. the wheel wasnt invented without trial and error

ya, thats true also. im getting a band saw for x-mas from the rents, so maybe then ill throw together some boxed plate arms like rx7500hpt2 has on one of his quads. they look super trick and they are for yfz450 shocks. that would keep me from modding my PC'ed frame to get the full travel from the longer shocks.

• 1 month later...