How To Install YFZ450 Shocks On Your Banshee...

Stinger

• 1 month later...
So how are the ball joints holding up and will this mod help for the dunes? I try not to jump to often but occasionally I do. Do you think the 450 shocks would be good for me? I pretty much just haul ass and climb hills.

well, my $0.02. if thats how i rode mine, i would probably stick with stock and put the money towards something else...

-my .02 cents on the YFZ Shocks... I weigh about 170, and I think the yfz shocks are setup for someone 200+. Their pretty stiff even when put to their softest setting.

-Now I put on a pair of Work's shocks that were setup for someone around my weight and THATS when I could feel the difference in riding. Much better. Im absorbing alot more then I was. Big Big difference.

-I just dont want someone, like me, to go buy they yfz shocks that arent setup for someone my weight.....

• 2 weeks later...
so is it neccisary for me to mod my top shock mount or can i get away with out

I got away without modding anything when I put my shocks on. This is not the case for everyone though.

My shocks are soft and not stiff like other people's are. Of course, I run next to no preload on them and I way 220 .lbs. Judging by peopls's comments about the stiffness, I am prompted to wonder if something is internally different in the shocks between different years. I suppose it could be a quality control issue as well. :thumbsup:

For those of you that say they are too stiff and the compression/rebound adjustments don't make them soft enough, loosen the spring nuts and run them all the way to the top (remove the preload). This will make them softer than stock if the compression is also set all the way soft. I'm only 140lbs and I can get them softer than stock or harder than stock using the three adjustments (preload, compression, rebound).

• 1 month later...

The difference between the 04 and 05 shocks vs the 06 and 07 shocks is that the 06 and 07 have one more coil on the spring than the 04 and 05's do. That could be why some of you are experiencing a stiffer shock than others. The other huge difference in results is most likely due to wieght of rider/bike/tires/etc. and of course proper tuning of the shocks. All I know is that before the 450 shocks were installed I would hit the 75ft table top in my yard and clear about 50 ft and bottom out my dual rate works valved for a 200lb rider. Now I can clear the 75ft table and not bottom out the 450 shocks. It just took some tweaking of the adjustments. As for all the whining about grinding the shocks or the mounts and a-arms, you're better off grinding the a-arms and not the shocks, that way if you sell the shee you can swap out the shocks and have a pair of unmolested 450 shocks for you next ride or to just ebay.

• 2 months later...

can someone please tell me......if i have extended a-arms will this yfz 450 shock mod work and/or do the shocks have to be revalved and/or resprunge for extended a-arms??????.......sorry if i missed the answer in this thread somewhere

Edited by qboronyrican

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
they should fit j arms.. i dont see y not..

and alot of people use them on +2+1 a arms..

yea i have j arms also.. when i push down on my front end my shocks are really friggin stiff. why is this.. they are set at the softest setting for stock shocks.. they are proabaly orginal 20yrs old. is i put on new-yzf 450 shocks will i have some up and down play in my front end or will it still be super stiff.

yea i have j arms also.. when i push down on my front end my shocks are really friggin stiff. why is this.. they are set at the softest setting for stock shocks.. they are proabaly orginal 20yrs old. is i put on new-yzf 450 shocks will i have some up and down play in my front end or will it still be super stiff.

Stinger I want to thank you for your slide show on the shocks, saved from figuring it out myself. I put mine on Monday took me about 2 hours total, and thats because I took my time.