Pics of my attempt at cheap HP

I'm finally getting started my project that I've been wanting to do for the past 10 years, turbocharge my banshee. I don't have the money for a Cheetah motor so turbo and fuel injection is cheap enough so I'm going to attempt it. I got the motor and frame for cheap off my buddy who needs the money cause he just bought a 400 Cheetah motor. Sorry for some of the blurry pics and sizes, my camera sucks:

Here's the bike, it needs some TLC, a tierod and other little stuff but its straight and has potential:

DSC00481.JPG

The motor is pretty new. The motor came out of a mangled frame from a kid who ran a stopsign and got broadsided by a tractortrailer. The frame was basically twisted around the motor. Its punched .30 over and I got some prodesign reeds and cages for it:

DSC00476.JPG

The ECU is a megasquirt DIY kit. Its got a 2.5bar map sensor, only costs $140 and does a really good job controlling fuel. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about timing but for right now I just got an adjustable timing plate.

When I got it:

DSC00382.jpg

completed:

DSC00489.JPG

I'm using CBR throttle bodies, I still need to get a fuel pump I'm not decided yet on which one:

DSC00498.JPG

DSC00487.JPG

And for the money shot, my collection of powerbands. I'm probably going to start out with the one second from the left and see how it pulls than upgrade if I don't like it.

DSC00492.JPG

So thats it. I still need to rewind my stator and buy a 2into1 pipe. I just bought an RZ350 side cover becuase I'm going to use that oil injection gear to spin an oil pump to lubricate the turbo. The oiling system for the turbo is going to be the most difficult part of this project but I think I'll be able to handle it. Let me know what you think and if you got any questions.

Here's some pics of my old 92' sold her a long time ago. :cry:

banshee.JPG

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The motor is pretty new. The motor came out of a mangled frame from a kid who ran a stopsign and got broadsided by a tractortrailer. The frame was basically twisted around the motor. Its punched .30 over and I got some prodesign reeds and cages for it:

:blink: dang, did it kill the kid?

and btw, very killer what your riggin' up and keep the updates comin :clap:

should be a pretty interesting project, cant wait to see the outcome.what's all of this going to charge you?  keep us updated.

The cost so far:

Turbo: $60.00

Throttle bodies: $110

ECU: $180

RZ350 side cover: $65

Stuff still needed:

Ricky Stator rewound stator, timing plate, flywheel and rectifier: $300

2into1 pipe: around $200

CBR oil pump: about $50

Fuel pump: $110

Total: $1075

When its all said and done it'll probably be around $1200 which isn't too bad since I can really tune the powerband by changing turbos and the power potential is crazy since I can keep upping the boost. But for right now I'm going to

I'm building it in stages. First I'm going to try and get it running with just the fuel injection kit and throwing on a set of Toomey T5's. I think I might make another fuel injection kit and sell it if it turns out good.

:blink:  dang, did it kill the kid?

Nah he lived he was just in the hospital for a couple weeks. If he didn't bail out he would have probably got killed.

$60.00 Turbo...??? in working condition?

Intake plumbing and exhaust plumbing cost will be what?

Waist gate cost ???

And many more beers to show up on your table.

Good luck, and I too would like to see the end results.

I really think you can add 300% in cost to your project and a whole lot more time.

$60.00 Turbo...??? in working condition?

Intake plumbing and exhaust plumbing cost will be what?

Waist gate cost ???

I really think you can add 300% in cost to your project and a whole lot more time.

I turbocharge things as a hobby so I can pick up good turbos for cheap. All of the turbos are in good working order and they are all internally gated. Except for the last one but I have an extra 38mm wategate so thats not a problem.

Piping costs next to nothing since I have all the material for flanges and pipework I got from scrap from doing other cars. There actually isn't much piping involved at all with this project. The intake maniold will be made of 1.5inch pipe, the intake pleum will be a 3.5inch pipe, downpipe will consist of one 90 degree 2.5 inch bend out the back and one 2.5inch 180degree bend for the air filter.

Trust me this isn't my first turbo project. On a budget of $1500 we built a 4 door pig of a Ford Taurus that ran a 12.5@117mph, my Acura Integra with a stock motor ran a 12.9@113mph and I've done a countless number of Civics, so I have a pretty good idea of what pipework for a turbokit costs. I added I've added $200 to the budget for small stuff but besides wireloom and the wire, there absolutely no way its going to be 300% more than $1200 unless I plate everything in gold and hire some strippers to put it together.

are those turbos alittle big a couple look like t2 turbos from a 2.2 dodge or a 2.3 ford.

you might be better off with a turbo from a seca 650 road bike

lol, that first turbo if off a 1.0 liter 3cylinder Geo Metro, I wouldn't put it on anything bigger than a 5hp briggs and straton. The third one from the left is a T3 .42/.48 and the biggest one is a T3/T4 57trim .60/.63. The T3/T4 is probably going to be too big but I have it in case I want to try it out.

Remember, a 2-stroke pulses twice the amount of a 4stroke and has tons more mass flow rate to spin a turbo than a 4-stroke.

I would think you could biuld a Cub for 1200.  Well i have all the other stuff.

Possibly. But I'd need to buy pipes and jets which alone are $600 so that leaves me only $600 to put in the motor. My Buddy is building a Cheetah motor and he's up around $2000. I'm not a machinst who can build bigass motors, I'm just a regular asshole who knows a little something about turbos. With a turbo I have tons of flexibility in my powerband. And also this has been a project I've wanted to do for a long long time. I've always wanted to hear a turbo Banshee and I just want to feel what a 2-stroke powerband feels like under boost. My buddy's cheetah motor is going to be done on soon, they'll probably be about the same HP but two totally different powerbands which I think is just going to be badass to see the difference.

I didn't post this on here to start shit or anything, I just thought you guys would like to see this project and what it takes to put one together. I'm sure its not going to be perfect out of the box but thats what a project is, getting it to be perfect. This is my first attempt at a turbo 2-stroke so its a learning experience for me, but I'll never learn anything if I don't at least atempt it.