Pics of my attempt at cheap HP

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your IAT's are high enough to melt the reeds than you've got bigger problems to worry about. The Geo turbo's turbine A/R is way to small for the amount of exhaust a Banshee puts out.  It would be like trying to breathe through a straw.  Also compressors maps are a good thing to get a general idea about a turbo but they are no way a good way to pick a turbo.  Most great turbo sizing is done by trial and error.  If you think the seca turbo is the best one to use than go ahead and use one.  I've got my turbo choices and they are the one's I'm going to use, I've been planning this out for a while. 

Progress is slow becuase I'm out of welding gas.  Airgas closes at 4:30 and I work till 5:30 so its tough to get the supplies to start building.  If this week I get done the intake manifold, fuel rail and draw up a wiring diagram I'll consider it good progress.  Its tough to make progress when you don't have supplies.

370227[/snapback]

im sure you have.let me know how they work out.im sure you will have yours done before i even start mine.

I really don't understand what your saying about compressor surge being caused by bigger turbos, all turbos get compressor surge without a blow off valve no matter what size the turbo.  Compressor surge is caused by the backspin of the turbo after the throttle plate is closed.  Simply run a bypass valve or a blow off valve and the problem is solved.  turbo lag is also not an issue at all. 

370052[/snapback]

Actually, compressor surge is caused by the airflow characteristics of the engine being on the "left side" of the surge line on a compressor flow map. This causes the compressor wheel to "cavitate" in the air. In most cases, it destroys itself rather quickly.

The surge caused by closing the throttle body is a completely different matter (and you where right about it's description).

I've been meaning to get hold of a guy that lives about 15 minutes from me...he built the turbo Banshee that set the sand drags record at Little Sahara about 5 years ago.

Stinger

Actually, compressor surge is caused by the airflow characteristics of the engine being on the "left side" of the surge line on a compressor flow map.  This causes the compressor wheel to "cavitate" in the air.  In most cases, it destroys itself rather quickly.

The surge caused by closing the throttle body is a completely different matter (and you where right about it's description).

I've been meaning to get hold of a guy that lives about 15 minutes from me...he built the turbo Banshee that set the sand drags record at Little Sahara about 5 years ago.

Stinger

370610[/snapback]

thanks for clearing that up

thanks for clearing that up

370682[/snapback]

i just figure that bigger turbo would be inefficient.but go with the turbo you picked we will never know untill its tryed.but personally im gonna use something built more for a bike not a car

you figure the t2 flows up to 275 hp you will never come close to needing that one.the geo would probabaly be no more than 150-175hp at the most.and were taliing on bigger motors how will a geo choke it up

Edited by bogart

i just figure that bigger turbo would be inefficient.but go with the turbo you picked we will never know untill its tryed.but personally im gonna use something built more for a bike not a car

you figure the t2 flows up to 275 hp you will never come close to needing that one.the geo would probabaly be no more than 150-175hp  at the most.and were taliing on bigger motors how will a geo choke it up

You seem to be pretty set in your beliefs so I'm just going to drop the subject. Again, I personally like the higher CFM turbos and choose to run them for many many reasons. Lag does not bother me at all so thats not an issue. Just remember that stock turbos for turbo cars are really undersized, don't base your decision of what turbo to use on if it came off a bike than its a great turbo to use and if it was on a car than its probably too big. Most of these small turbos usually have great response (which is mostly wasted becuase of tire spin) and a big turbo has some lag (but only turbo initial spool up) but runs like a raped date in the top end and thats what I want. If I have a lop sided powerband where it has no bottom end but top end rips your arms from your sockets, than I'll consider this project a sucess.

You seem to be pretty set in your beliefs so I'm just going to drop the subject.  Again, I personally like the higher CFM turbos and choose to run them for many many reasons.  Lag does not bother me at all so thats not an issue.  Just remember that stock turbos for turbo cars are really undersized, don't base your decision of what turbo to use on if it came off a bike than its a great turbo to use and if it was on a car than its probably too big.  Most of these small turbos usually have great response (which is mostly wasted becuase of tire spin)  and a big turbo has some lag (but only turbo initial spool up) but runs like a raped date in the top end and thats what I want.  If I have a lop sided powerband where it has no bottom end but top end rips your arms from your sockets, than I'll consider this project a sucess.

370732[/snapback]

no need to drop it in trying to see your side of using a bigger turbo.not trying to argue with you would know if i was.just trying to see what the best way to do it is

just let us know how it work.i know when you put to bog of a turbo on it your gonna regret it.how many turbo set up have you done on cars.what size were they and what turbo did you use.remember im not trying to be a dick having a conversation.

what are all the specs of the turbo your using

the Geo Metro turbo would choke out the motor its way too small, I know that for a fact.    I really don't understand what your saying about compressor surge being caused by bigger turbos, all turbos get compressor surge without a blow off valve no matter what size the turbo.  Compressor surge is caused by the backspin of the turbo after the throttle plate is closed.  Simply run a bypass valve or a blow off valve and the problem is solved.  turbo lag is also not an issue at all.  With the v32 turbo I'm pretty convinced that lag is going to be relatively low.  I also always tend to oversize turbos as well.  I like the efficiencies of the  higher CFM turbos anyways.  Whats the specs of the Seca turbo?

370052[/snapback]

one would think that a metro car being 1000cc displacement which is almost 3 times a much as a banshee, the turbo would be plenty big.

i know from dicking with my turbo buick you cant slam a big turbo in for the power unless you have a 3000 + stall convetor cause of the lag.

i would run a some what smaller turbo that boosts fast, and more boost to it, but dont get to carried away with boost. 7 psi is 50% more power.

i like the idea of a computer setup up, really smart way of doing it. how are you going to do a fuel pump and what is your fuel pressures going to be at.

i would port it, so its more effecient, it will me mostly mid to top and ways i would just drag port it with a good exhaust dur. to get the gases out.

best of luck

im sure it will fly