Pics of my attempt at cheap HP

one would think that a metro car being 1000cc displacement which is almost 3 times a much as a banshee, the turbo would be plenty big.

i know from dicking with my turbo buick you cant slam a big turbo in for the power  unless you have a 3000 + stall convetor cause of the lag.

i would run a some what smaller turbo that boosts fast, and more boost to it, but dont get to carried away with boost.  7 psi is 50% more power.

i like the idea of a computer setup up, really smart way of doing it.    how are you going to do a fuel pump and what is your fuel pressures going to be at.

i would port it, so its more effecient,  it will me mostly mid to top and ways i would just drag port it with  a good exhaust dur. to get the gases out.

best of luck

im sure it will fly

370808[/snapback]

thats what i was saying.a geo is a small motor and is just over 1000cc.i cant see why that geo one would starve the motor.i think that one would still have turbo lag.the t2 which came from a older turbododge 2.2 or a ford 2.3 they dont start to spool intill 2200rpms and full voost untill 3400(full boost being stock 12psi.

im not trying to argue im just trying to find out what turbo your using spec wise.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats what i was saying.a geo is a small motor and is just over 1000cc.i cant see why that geo one would starve the motor.i think that one would still have turbo lag.the t2 which came from a older turbododge 2.2 or a ford 2.3 they dont start to spool intill 2200rpms and full voost untill 3400(full boost being stock 12psi.

im not trying to argue im just trying to find out what turbo your using spec wise.

370890[/snapback]

You can't compare engines of different types cc for cc. Diesel's and gas engines don't compare that way as a 12 liter diesel and a ~6 liter gas engine would use roughly the same size turbo. I would assume the same could be said for a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke. The 2 stroke would "double" in size which would mean a Banshee would be considered ~700cc in turbo sizing compared to a 4 stroke.

Also, a metro makes about 35hp to the wheels without a turbo...about the same as a stock banshee.

You can't compare engines of different types cc for cc.  Diesel's and gas engines don't compare that way as a 12 liter diesel and a ~6 liter gas engine would use roughly the same size turbo.  I would assume the same could be said for a 2 stroke vs a 4 stroke.  The 2 stroke would "double" in size which would mean a Banshee would be considered ~700cc in turbo sizing compared to a 4 stroke.

Also, a metro makes about 35hp to the wheels without a turbo...about the same as a stock banshee.

370940[/snapback]

were also talking about something that is 2 cylinders using a turbo thats made for 4-6-8 cylinders.i just thing there will be spooling problems.i cant wait to get mine going this makes me want to do it faster.

and the turbo on a diesel is bigger than one on a 6cyl.the deisel would be a upgrade more than likely.but what do i know i only had 10 turbo cars in the past 4 years.i cant remember the last time i had a car without a turbo

no need to drop it in trying to see your side of using a bigger turbo.not trying to argue with you would know if i was.just trying to see what the best way to do it is

just let us know how it work.i know when you put to bog of a turbo on it your gonna regret it.how many turbo set up have you done on cars.what size were they and what turbo did you use.remember im not trying to be a dick having a conversation.

what are all the specs of the turbo your using

How many turbo kits have you done? If you build kits using stock turbos you'll know that they have no top end and they fall on their faces. I'm not an amature so I know what I'm getting into and I'm not going to regret anything.

were also talking about something that is 2 cylinders using a turbo thats made for 4-6-8 cylinders.i just thing there will be spooling problems.i cant wait to get mine going this makes me want to do it faster.

and the turbo on a diesel is bigger than one on a 6cyl.the deisel would be a upgrade more than likely.but what do i know i only had 10 turbo cars in the past 4 years.i cant remember the last time i had a car without a turbo

371008[/snapback]

Like I said before just becuase a turbo came on a V8 doesn't mean its too big for a 4 cylinder. I'm going on my experience of building custom kits, I know what works and what doesn't work so thats what I'm going to use to build this kit. I really didn't want to get this thread off topic but since you called me out on it, here's a some kits that I've built in the past:

Twin turbo Honda Civic:

TTpic5.jpg

My current kit, with a T3/T4 60 trim:

DSC00277.JPG

DSC00160.JPG

V6 Ford Taurus with a T04E .70 compressor 1.32 turbine, a turbo much bigger than any of the turbos on the powerstrokes, cummings or duramax V8 diesels:

SHOturbo1.jpg

Most of these kits you would say the turbos are way too oversized but my experience showed that they just kick ass

one would think that a metro car being 1000cc displacement which is almost 3 times a much as a banshee, the turbo would be plenty big.

i know from dicking with my turbo buick you cant slam a big turbo in for the power  unless you have a 3000 + stall convetor cause of the lag.

i would run a some what smaller turbo that boosts fast, and more boost to it, but dont get to carried away with boost.  7 psi is 50% more power.

i like the idea of a computer setup up, really smart way of doing it.    how are you going to do a fuel pump and what is your fuel pressures going to be at.

i would port it, so its more effecient,  it will me mostly mid to top and ways i would just drag port it with  a good exhaust dur. to get the gases out.

best of luck

im sure it will fly

370808[/snapback]

I'll be running around 45psi of fuel pressure. On a Taurus I did we originally had a Grand National turbo on it, V6 3.2 liter. When we upgraded to that bigass turbo at the same boost pressure we gained 8 tenths of a second. The name of the game is CFM's

I don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal about the size of the turbo I'm going to use.

wow sorry you think i called you out for some reason.and i am in no way talking trash i wont say anything about the twin turbo civic.

i never sayed you cant use a turbo from a v8 on a 4 cyl were did i say that.im just owndering what turbo your suing you still never said the specs of it

also when do you think your gonna get full boost or even start to spool for that matter.

i just cant justfy putting on a turbo capable of 250-300 hp just to push 5 psi.unless your looking to max the turbo out and try for 200hp that that sounds good to me

im sure you can slam a huge turbo on it and get it to work.

i know when i put a p-51 turbo on my buick, it pulled like a bitch compared to stock but had more lag somewhat.

so what ever floats your boat.

i can hook you up with a turbo off an big cam 4 cummins 400. 855 cubic inch

i fyou want a bitch of one

later

wow sorry you think i called you out for some reason.and i am in no way talking trash i wont say anything about the twin turbo civic.

i never sayed you cant use a turbo from a v8 on a 4 cyl were did i say that.im just owndering what turbo your suing you still never said the specs of it

also when do you think your gonna get full boost or even start to spool for that matter.

i just cant justfy putting on a turbo capable of 250-300 hp just to push 5 psi.unless your looking to max the turbo out and try for 200hp that that sounds good to me

371107[/snapback]

The reason for the bigger turbo is that I plan on running more boost down the road so I want a turbo with potential. But mainly with a bigger turbo will put out less heat and therefore less detonation and less chance for gernading the motor. Turbo lag really doesn't bother me, I actually like it. Lag is almost like a traction control. I'm willing to sacrifice some bottom end to have a killer top end powerband and thats what the larger sized turbos do. So basically I also went with a bigger turbo becuase of personal preferance, its the powerband that I want. Also lag doesn't bother me becuase as soon as its spooled up lag is no longer an issue. The turbo isn't that big to the point that its falling out of boost inbetween gears. Trust me, lag is not going to be a problem at all.

Also, when the kit is all together and done it'll take a maximum of a half hour to change out turbos so if the turbo I chose is too laggy than I'll just switch it out. But I do know that the Geo turbo is way too small. Remember cars are designed by accountants, not engineers. Most stock turbo are really undersized for car so they get better gas mileage, pollute less and have more low end response all of which I don't care about.

Turbos are the hotness for all out horsepower. I cant wait till you get the bugs worked out and test it out. I am big into the turbo honda scene and my turbo is too big for my engine, but that is good for drag racing. Here is a pic of my honda project. its a 1992 hatch with complete 2001 integra type r engine / tranny / suspension / 5 lug conversion. it dynos at 398 hp at the wheels with pump gas tolulene mix. 15psi

f4109bb0.jpg

Whitey, keep up the project for sure... I want to see the progress. About time we got some new projects on the hq.

Hey whitey, I was looking at the wiring diagrahm for that fuel injection box you put together. What are you going to do about the tps and 02. Is ther there a certain o2 you have to use with the 2 strokes becasue of the oil ?

Edited by fixitrod

371008[/snapback]

Turbos don't care how many cylinders there are, just that it gets enough exhaust flow to spin the turbine which will in turn spin the compressor and create boost.

Bottom line is each turbo has a flow/horsepower range, stay in that range and all is well, get below that range and you'll run into compressor surge, get over that range and you will be chocking off the flow of the engine and if bad enough, loose boost pressure as rpm increases, all of which kill power to varying extents.

I'm no internet bullshitter either, I currently own 6 turbo cars and have 2 more that I'm in the works of building. I'm currently running 24psi in my Mustang. I also designed a turbo header that I sell, as well as turbos, turbo exhaust systems, intercoolers, intercooler tubing, etc.

Turbos don't care how many cylinders there are, just that it gets enough exhaust flow to spin the turbine which will in turn spin the compressor and create boost.

Bottom line is each turbo has a flow/horsepower range, stay in that range and all is well, get below that range and you'll run into compressor surge, get over that range and you will be chocking off the flow of the engine and if bad enough, loose boost pressure as rpm increases, all of which kill power to varying extents.

I'm no internet bullshitter either, I currently own 6 turbo cars and have 2 more that I'm in the works of building. I'm currently running 24psi in my Mustang.  I also designed a turbo header that I  sell, as well as turbos, turbo exhaust systems, intercoolers, intercooler tubing, etc.

371492[/snapback]

completly agree.dpesnt matter the cylinder,but you need something that adequate for your set up.

imjust thinking he is gonna use one outside the range and compressor surge will be there but we wont know untill he finishes it

my last turbo i did.my 85 omni glht ran 11.89 at 118mph.i have about 8-10 extra turbos for my turbododge cars.

completly agree.dpesnt matter the cylinder,but you need something that adequate for your set up.

imjust thinking he is gonna use one outside the range and compressor surge will be there but we wont know untill he finishes it

my last turbo i did.my 85 omni glht ran 11.89 at 118mph.i have about 8-10 extra turbos for my turbododge cars.

371497[/snapback]

Alright already. You already mentioned you opinion on the turbo sizing many times in this thread. I know what turbo I want to use can we just drop it banghead