R Cheetah cubs trail friendlyl

Im not knocking your CUBS my friend...definately not. I just cringe at the act of de-tuning anything from where it already is in power output...sacrolige at its finest. Its basic economics in my book...build a trail port for trails for cheap, and buy CUBS for balls out.  Alot of riders would find themselves in trouble with such explosive power in the tight stuff and could actually run faster with a broad, predictable less explosive power delivery.......Jim

356466[/snapback]

AMen! Jim, but it sounds if you want a nice all around engine with occasional trail riding(tight technical) cubs may be the way to go.depends on what,and how you want the engine to perform.

scott

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22" drag tires, 20" 8 paddle haulers and 18" holeshots. 15 tooth front 41 rear.

356373[/snapback]

Seems like you could easily gear for more speed Hott, you've got a high HP motor and I'm running the woods port on 20" tires strictly for trails setup with a 16/40. I'm questioning these trails maybe I've got a different idea of what these trails are. I'm thinking of rutted up, single lane can't pass without making a new trail through the brush, logs and branches in the way trails. :confused:

I'm still amazed when you guys talk about trail motors that you think a woods ported set of Banshee cylinders are the ticket.  I can speak from experience that my RZ jugs are smoother and come on lower than ANY Bahsee cylindered bike that I have ridden EVER.  I sold all my Banshee parts for $500, bought some RZ jugs for $200, another $150 in electronics and $250 port job from Patriot and have what I consider to be a superior "woods" motor to any stock cylindered bike for $100. 

The port arangement of an RZ is built more for top end than the Banshee came stock, yet mine pulls harder down low and then rips on top.  Just because someone has tried something different doesn't mean it won't work outside an environment it was inteneded for.  I think a properly set up Cub could make an excellent trail motor, after all a buzzard ass set of cylinders from an early 80's street bike can do it.

Heres a 92 HP, 52 ft lbs of torque single carbed cub on PS.

http://www.planetsand.com/ubbthreads/showf...rt=1#Post307435

Just because it shouldn't, doesn't mean it won't.

356454[/snapback]

i do agree on those rz cylinders.i got the complete rz motor swapped.it has a trails port 34mm carbs and rockets.with a top end pipe and port you would think the rocket wouldnt be good.i couldnt be more happier with my set up.i built it for all around riding.i usually am always at wot and i hit 5th and 6th in the trails maybi im just stupid

Same trails I'm talking about but the only place your gonna get outta first is at the entry/exit points.  Those maybe 30yard stretches are the only place to open it up into second/third.  Not including the field seperating the trails.  These trails are tight with bends left and right, small stumps, branches in the trails.  I've rode them more than once in second and it holds up fine except when its gets to where your down damn near at idle moving through some of the trails which happens pretty often depending on the trail section your in.  So I keep it in first. 

same kind of trails i ride...

Loco you guys are running 85HP 4mills in the trails,  I'm runnning estimating high 80, low 90 cub in the trails.  Are you switching out the rockets to a different pipe when you go ride in the trails?  You know the Rockets shine at 6500+ so your setup has to be close to mine.  I'm not skilled by any means, but I have the power I can muscle the quad around which most dont.  That in and of itself may be the deciding factor.

my 4mm has seen the trails once and thats it. i dont ride it in the trails. it only sees the hillclimbs and thats it. my 450 is what i ride in the trails. way back when i had a stock banshee i rode it in the trails but thats been several years ago. the last banshee i rode in the trails was my bros when he had the woods ported gorr cylinders. you are 100% about rider. a skilled rider can ride anything anywhere for the most part. i consider myself to be a very highly skilled rider. thats why i take my stock 450 and beat a lot of modified banshees and whatever else. its because i know how to ride it. its obvious that that you have some skill to be able to ride your cubs in the trails because you know the average trail rider prolly wouldnt be able to do that.

cylinders are only half the equation, pipes, compression, reeds, stroke, fuel, gearing and tire selection all are deciding factors.  If you can't get them to work in unison to get the power where you want it you wont be happy.

very true. there are so many other factors to this its not even funny. alot of ppl think porting will solve their problems but it wont.

Look at Jims 12 port.  Some people got it right where it needs to be and absolutely love it.  While others can't get it tuned for shit and hate it. 

thats no shit.. :wacko:

As much as I'm about to be called crazy, running the -2 helps get the low end power to the ground, pain in the ass in the sand.

356518[/snapback]

you arent crazy. if youve got tons of low end and are running a +4 in the trails you are gonna be spinning your ass off. besides id rather be stock length in the trails anyway..

Damn right. I'll throw on a -4 swing arm first though so I an turn a little better than with a +10.  I might put on a massive front bumper too so when I slam into that first tree it wont hurt so bad.

hahaha stan i wanna be there to get that video. better buy one of them huge prm bumpers so you dont destroy the front of your banshee when you come into the trails in second doin a buck ten... :lol:

I want to thank all of you who answered my post. I have learned a lot of valuable information from you guys. will the cubs work fine with the T-5's? I am trying to get my bike a lot faster, and am trying to create an all around bike. Most of the riding I do do is in the sand, and I like to drag against other riders (for fun, not competition). I wanted to build the bike up and not have it over-heat with the increased power.

From what it sounds like I will be gaining better water circulation with a NOSS head and a set of cubs. I love sand carving and racing around in the sand, but we also desert ride and at times we are not running balls out. My whole family goes for these rides and not everyone is running full tilt. Not only that, but there are places where there are rocks and boulders that will really do a number on you if you fly through them, or tear your bike up. I just want to have an all around bike, but with power on demand to bury 450's..................

Edited by Animalman294

will the cubs work fine with the T-5's?  I am trying to get my bike a lot faster, and am trying to create an all around bike.  Most of the riding I do do is in the sand, and I like to drag against other riders (for fun, not competition).  I wanted to build the bike up and not have it over-heat with the increased power. 

From what it sounds like I will be gaining better water circulation with a NOSS head and a set of cubs.  I love sand carving and racing around in the sand, but we also desert ride and at times we are not running balls out.  I just want to have an all around bike, but with power on demand to bury 450's..................

356980[/snapback]

This is pretty much the same type of riding I do, mostly sand etc, and basically the same thing I want to get out of my bike.

I have been debating on having my stock cylinders ported or going with the cubs.

Will the cubs work with stock carbs, or would they NEED to be upgraded?

Cubs or build on the stock platform? decisions, decisions...

:yank:

This is pretty much the same type of riding I do, mostly sand etc, and basically the same thing I want to get out of my bike.

I have been debating on having my stock cylinders ported or going with the cubs.

Will the cubs work with stock carbs, or would they NEED to be upgraded?

Cubs or build on the stock platform? decisions, decisions...

357012[/snapback]

im sure they will run on stock carbs but they wont make huge hp with them.

if you have the money get the cubs, post an actual dyno and video. its not rocket science, run the stock jugs or get what you want. :yank::yank:

Those of you who are using cubs, do you have problems over-heating if you are not riding balls out? My stock set-up does that now and am thinking that maybe my jetting is wrong and producing too much heat. I was wondering if the power was increased does that increase the heat factor, or because of the better circulation does the motor stay cool? Thanks again...............

Those of you who are using cubs, do you have problems over-heating if you are not riding balls out?  My stock set-up does that now and am thinking that maybe my jetting is wrong and producing too much heat.  I was wondering if the power was increased does that increase the heat factor, or because of the better circulation does the motor stay cool?  Thanks again...............

357855[/snapback]

mine never overheated. the cubs hold an insane amount of coolant. i bet its damn near twice as much as stock cylinders. its like they just keep filling and filling and filling.

• 4 weeks later...

well im thinking of getting cubs for trails and drags.

i ride alot of trails and love to drag also.

so why spend even more on 2 banshee to have one for drag and one for trails.were i ride mio there is bulls gap.the main trail head that is a few miles long is 3 quads wide.then about 30 mins of the tight trails i still fl in.but to get to bulls gap you have to ride the trails.so now when i get there to drag were it really counts a trails port wont cut it.

now if your gonna go all out draging why couldnt you swap on diffent pipes carbs or whatever you wanted.and if you wanted to just trail ride swap gearing and tires pipes whatever you prefer.

just because you dont like the cub for trails dont act like no one will.i bet it wasnt geared for trails eather swap on a 12-13 tooth on the front

now if your gonna go all out draging why couldnt you swap on diffent pipes carbs or whatever you wanted.and if you wanted to just trail ride swap gearing and tires pipes whatever you prefer.

368951[/snapback]

That's sounds like a big pain in the ass to change all that shit out for a drag race or trail ride :huh:

just because you dont like the cub for trails dont act like no one will.i bet it wasnt geared for trails eather swap on a 12-13 tooth on the front

If you ask for an opinion, that's what you get...and as far as putting a 12 tooth front sprocket on a cub engine :blink::rotflmao: