Transmission Oil

badbonz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To reply to my own question....ive done some research and synthetic oils in the tranny do in fact cause slipping which leads to the question that was posted earlier.  Synthetics are suppose to be the best...hmmmm.

Anyway, apparently Amsoil is the worst for slipping clutches.

Thanks to all for your answers.

Bonz :blink:

It's amazing how someone can make a retarded statement like this and then when asked to prove it there's NOTHING.

Amsoil makes dozens of different oils and if someone simply puts "Amsoil" in the transmission it may just slip.

When you select an oil for your transmission make sure of 2 things.

1- The oil does NOT have friction modifiers or is labeled as Improved Mileage.

2- The oil will work with wet clutch applications.

I use tractor oil in mine. I love it. It's dirt cheap and works much better than what was in there some guys use Amsoil and some guys use 99 cent oil from Walmart. The important thing is use what you want and if it's no good, tell us and if it's great tell us. But DON'T Bash something that YOU haven't tried.

Thank you Holyman

i'm with zodo. the honda stuff is the best. seems like it works the best in the summer and the winter up here. seems to have the most consistent texture and color when i change it as well.

Think Honda refines their own oil? Its Mobil 1.

Synthetic oil IS the best for protection, but you CANNOT use synthetic oil with friction modifiers in a wet clutch. Please understand this.

I have used ATF for about 10 years in all of my 2 stokes and have never had a problem. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is very thin. Thus it can seep from old seals. A heavier oil will tend not to leak...

I recently have switched to Castrol GTX 10x-30. Castrol GTX is the only motor oil that I have found that does not have friction modifiers in it...

Remember clean cheap oil is always better than dirty expensive oil. So if you can't afford the 6.00 bucks a bottle stuff then use ATF or Castrol and change it after every ride...

Almost any oil you put in there will be fine for the tranny... It's the clutch that tends to be picky. So if you try an oil, and it causes a slipping clutch, then try a different one...

Viscosity means nothing with transmissions, only film strength matters......

ok this is what ive been told. some people use automotive oil in their cases and i was told they have an additive that reduces friction. wich is good on the tranny but plays hell on the clutch fibers. wether its good or not i use the pro honda 2-stroke tranny oil. love it shifts smoother than the bel-ray i used to run. this is my own personal opinion mind you. as far as a premix i run amsoil 2000 at 32 to 1. ive always been a little leary of mixing it any leaner. i know i know leaner= performance but richer= longer life. i hope.

I'm with Holyman on this one. I went down to the local Ford-New Holland dealer and bought a gallon of Ford 134 oil. This stuff was designed to hold up to the Powershift transmissions in their tractors, which utilize wet clutch packs. If it can stand that kind of toqure, I was sure it would hold up in the banshee. I brought my own gallon jug in and walked back out the door with it full for under six bucks. So far it's working great. It has the same consistancy as like Bel-Ray 75 wt gear saver.

i'm not gonna say use this or that, or yours is bad either.  but i've been using bel-ray gear saver since my 1st oil change almost 3 years ago.  haven't had any trouble yet.  but frequent oil changes, with any oil, is the ticket.  oils a lot cheaper than tranny rebuilds.

i would have to agree.. gear saver is the shit . not one problem yet ..