High compression for race fuels worth it?

What is your compression? Although not a definite indicator of needed octane, it is usually a reliable indicator. Increased octane is used to prevent donation due to increased compression and/or timing.

120 is up there. Are we talking RON or MON octane numbers? It is gonna take a lot of compression to light that kind of fuel. So, the next question is what type of riding and how wide open do the rpms stay? If you’re running long stretches, a two stroke with that much compression won’t stay happy for long. 

• 5 months later...

I know this topic is old but at one time I went from 130 on 97 pump gas to 190psi 113 octane klotz on a 4mm long rod with 35mm PWKs and slightly wild port. I could ride a balanced wheelie to a crawl but my top end really suffered. Trails were slightly better,  mx track was slightly better,  up the dunes at glamis in 4th or 5th it actually suffered more than I liked. My times were faster with the right head and pump gas than an over compressed expensive fuel requiring head because I liked riding "in the power" at those high rpms. It was disappointing for me but some people really like gaining that lower end.

It also blows me away how different every banshee seems to ride so differently. A mod on one person's quad may not feel the same on yours. 

Bottom line, it depends what your main riding is, can you afford to go back or try something different if you don't like it and can you afford the now insane race fuel prices? 

Here in Canada,VP fuel is off the chart for someone who actually ride his Shee.

Too much comp and the engine will fight itself...

I run 100LL fuel, i find it a good compremise vs expensive race fuel.

I run it at 160-165psi.

Race fuel will always be the best fuel for racers.

Envoyé de mon SM-G965W en utilisant Tapatalk

22 hours ago, fixitrod said:

I know this topic is old but at one time I went from 130 on 97 pump gas to 190psi 113 octane klotz on a 4mm long rod with 35mm PWKs and slightly wild port. I could ride a balanced wheelie to a crawl but my top end really suffered. Trails were slightly better,  mx track was slightly better,  up the dunes at glamis in 4th or 5th it actually suffered more than I liked. My times were faster with the right head and pump gas than an over compressed expensive fuel requiring head because I liked riding "in the power" at those high rpms. It was disappointing for me but some people really like gaining that lower end.

It also blows me away how different every banshee seems to ride so differently. A mod on one person's quad may not feel the same on yours. 

Bottom line, it depends what your main riding is, can you afford to go back or try something different if you don't like it and can you afford the now insane race fuel prices? 

i will never run race fuel again, unless I ever built a drag bike.   The gains are minimal, especially on a play bike.  running 93 in mine and ill never change it.  I ran 110 in my old 4 mil with 35s and clearly spent an arm and a leg on a motor that drank gas like ddq drinks whiskey.   On my 7 mil i have it setup for pump gas (155 psi) and have  a stronger torque curve (a few more peak hp) on this motor than my race fuel 4 mil did, i say bigger stroke on pump gas and save money overtime. 

Edited by Ayesully810
  • Like 2

Pump gas to race gas gains are not minimal.

What you gain overall from increasing compression and timing and running race gas is a huge increase in power from top to bottom.

What does a pump gas 4mm Serval make, 85HP?

My race gas 4mm Serval is at 100. 15HP is a very noticeable difference. You will especially feel it when you’re in the trails, where you need that grunt down low. The compression will shine there.

There’s a fine line in compression for a drag motor. Yes, you want that RPM, but you also want the torque to get you out of the hole.