Pods and there effectiveness

This started in the live thread and I've had this discussion with a lot of people a lot of times.

Well I have filters for 39 pwk carbs on my 35s as per cam. He said there a little bigger and it may cause a slight bog if I snap the throttle switching to them. Don't see why the air inside the filter should matter. They breathe.

Now I see a filter only failing when the vacuum becomes so great, the filter collapses.

Picture drinking from a straw.

If it's a wide straw that is long, it will take more time to get fluid up to your mouth.

Smaller and narrow will get it to you quicker.

The interior space of a filter holds a volume of air. This is a time buffer to air needing to flow thru the filter material and into the filter to replace the original air.

This can cause a hiccup in the flow as the motor now stumbles in the transition from easy to use air to having to suck the needed air thru the filter material.

Hence the use of pod style filters on bikes you ride. (Like on and off the throttle type riding) You don't want a little bog each time.

Drag bikes tend to get reved up enough that the really big filters are drawing air before a clutch is released so it doesn't really effect them so they run monster filters.

I put some 6" PVC pipe extentions on my carbs on time to move some pods back for more clearance for some BB CPI pipes.

Right away I had a bog.

Edited by WINDYCITYJOHN400

Like on those filters tyler, if you put 6-8 inch would you notice?

Why did you get those filters?

You wanna know if running a 6" pod on a 20mill DM will make a difference?

Ummm Tyler.....