Snapped a small bolt in side case

My 4mil threw a bearing so I ordered another one and split the cases to get ready. I snapped a small screw off in the lower case that holds a thin bracket of some sort. I'm not sure what the piece is actually called but there are two pieces that connect the halves together and for some reason they were red locktite in or something causing the Phillips head to break off.

What are my options here as far as needing that piece or tapping and re-threading. uhegu6y2.jpg

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I would heat it up really hot with a torch to melt the lock tight. Then grab it with vice grips if enough bolt is protruding out, and turn it out.

If not,drill the middle of the soft bolt with a drill bit, then get it hot with the torch, then tap in a bolt extractor, and back it out slowly.

If you have access to a drill press, use it so that your hole is perfectly centered and straight.

Take your time.

These style work the best I've found.

http://m.harborfreight.com/12-piece-screw-extractor-set-40349.html?utm_referrer=direct%2Fnot%20provided

I've had that exact thing happen many times. Some folks just gorilla tighten shit that doesn't need it. Try heating the surrounding aluminum with Map gas and use a punch to give it a good whack. More often then not, that'll make 'em come out of there if you can grab on to them with some pliers. If it still needs motivation, use a small sharpened punch to tap it counter clockwise after the map gas. The only thing that still defeats me on occasion are the fucking upper case cylinder studs.

Use sharp masonry bits on broken easy outs and taps. Works suprisingly well. Also ball tip dremel to make a nice dish in broken bolt makes it super easy to center your hole. Heat should get the out pretty easy. Look into getting an impact screwdriver as it might prevent that in the future. Also i think the broken bolt held on a catch tray for lube the never needed to be removed in the first place

I dont think there enough bite to grab with pliers to get the remaining amount out so it looks like a left handed bit might be the first option as well as heat.  The other screw for the same piece was damn near impossible to get out as well.  The larger screw in the pic was barely even tightened down.

If there is enough protruding you can use a dremel with a cutting disc to grind a slot into the top. Then get a flat driver to unscrew + some heat. Worked for me a few times but may not have been as tight as yours.

• Like 1