TRANSMISSION OIL

JSHEE34756

Why delete it we are just having a discussion / debate.

As far as tight shafts and seals and what not on the banshee, They are the same as a regular high performance manual trans.

Your absolutely right the only difference it that the High Performance transmissions specify atf which is a light weight oil. The only transmissions that specify are the older transmissions from the 70's (non synchronized) and Heavy Duty (not to be confused with High Performance). Like in semi trucks and maybe 1 or 3/4 ton pickups. The Tremec transmission in my Mustang GT specifies Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF. The newer ones specify a special GM ATF.

Also this oil is highly recommended with limited slip rears which itself has a very similar type wet clutch,

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=402508&S=N

That is because it contains a Friction Modifier that keeps the clutches in the limited slip differentials from chattering. This is why it isn't good with a wet clutch. You can buy that additive to be used with any 80w90. You cant say that that is good for a wet clutch because the clutches in a limited slip differential do not ever disengage. The additive keeps them from chattering and causing wheel hop when you turn a corner. So it lets them slip vs. not slipping and you get wheel hop (chirping tires) on your street car as you turn.

Why delete it we are just having a discussion / debate.

Your absolutely right the only difference it that the High Performance transmissions specify atf which is a light weight oil. The only transmissions that specify are the older transmissions from the 70's (non synchronized) and Heavy Duty (not to be confused with High Performance). Like in semi trucks and maybe 1 or 3/4 ton pickups. The Tremec transmission in my Mustang GT specifies Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF. The newer ones specify a special GM ATF.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=402508&S=N

That is because it contains a Friction Modifier that keeps the clutches in the limited slip differentials from chattering. This is why it isn't good with a wet clutch. You can buy that additive to be used with any 80w90. You cant say that that is good for a wet clutch because the clutches in a limited slip differential do not ever disengage. The additive keeps them from chattering and causing wheel hop when you turn a corner. So it lets them slip vs. not slipping and you get wheel hop (chirping tires) on your street car as you turn.

I don't want to offend anyone or anything so I hope no one took me like that, I only posted this topic as my personal experience with it now and just wanted to share, BTW, I have a typo above, 35 hours I meant 25 hours but still that is enough for results. I just hate getting bashed about somthing when I am only trying to maybe help and they have not even gave it a shot yet. The spectra I will try to. This brand I am diehard over though. The only reason I am pointing out the #267 80-90w is that its universal which I now know and is all my local dealer ever carrys, otherwise I would use there other gear oils. The company history and lack of advertiseing aswell as only truckers and farmers mostly knowing about this stuff is what I like. That tells me somthing, there is no need to push a oil if its good, And truckers and farmers are the real testers not us, They make a living off there equipment so they know somthing. Also I wanted to clarify, The part above about moly and its extreme pressures where the rear wheels hoping off the ground under full thorttle and landing, The correct word for that where gears see 95% of there wear would be shock loading, And our banshees have alot of shock loading when we ride. Whoever has time research it. Its interesting.

Now i have not read up on these products but I will note that some synthetic companies will "rate" their lubes as say an 80-90 in way of protection, but the actual viscosity is much less. This is where they are able to claim HP gains. Lighter fluids make power. It is also very important to select a non-detergent lube that is rates for wet clutch packs. I have no idea how many clutches I have done because people go buy car oil at wal mart...

By the way, Spectra Gold is a very good oil.

BTW, I forgot to mention, This oil pours like 20-50w so your probably right. I think people are thinking it must pour like lucas oil stabilizer which is like gooey slim. Also since I could not add above to my reply for some reason, My 95 dodge stealth r/t TT which has to handle 320hp is high performance, It calls for gear oil 75w-90. So much newer cars than 70's cars call for gear oil still.

Edited by JSHEE34756

I don't know if it has been thrown out there yet because I dont feel like reading everything but 75w80 gear oil has about the same viscosity as a 10w30 motor oil.80w90=20w40. They are rated different. Just throwing that out there.

Your correct, Oil expert agrees which I had a chat with, Its equal to 10-40w motor oil and he said motor oil or atf in a atv with a high shockload rate which I explained is suicide on a geared trans, He said he sees why I switched, However he does recommend I step back to a GL4 gear oil, No matter what brand, STOP USING MOTOR OIL! Ur killing ur gears and clutch prematurley! I will still go on myself to tell you to use a moly based oil for shock loading protection. This topic should be dead now unless we have some feedback on glitter results.

Edited by JSHEE34756

ive been running this for years and never had a problem.. its like $2.49 a quart so i can afford to change it a lot.

8130006_adv_a10910w40qt_pri_larg.jpg

are you joking about this advace auto 10w40? did you run it in your banshee and how long did your clutch last?

• 3 weeks later...