in reverse

Have heard about this before. You may have an electrical issue. It generally happens when the engine misfires/backfires during starting, and the engine will actually run in reverse. It is really really bad for the bike. You will grenade the bottom end if you run it like this for any length of time. I'd check out all of the electrical stuff after you pull the clutch cover and see what damage has been done.

Two strokes can, and will run backwards. That's probably what happened.

they can and will. but the kicker gear is only meant to go 1 way. thats why it pulled backwards and smashed the case. usually when the flywheel is loose. timing way out.

I remember my dad showing me this trick with a big rig diesel engine years ago. The old 2 stroke detroit diesels would run in reverse if you stopped cranking the engine right before it fired. The built up compression would actually spring back and the engine would fire and run in reverse (blowing exhaust out the intake and vise versa). While this is not good for the engine it is possible under the right circumstances.

thanks for the input.did i say that the bike ran fine.we stopped,cooled down,and after restart,pulled in the clutch,tapped into 1st & when letting out the clutch the wheels turned in reverse.I hit the kill switch & thats when it kicked back & cracked the case.(5mi from day use) thanks fellow banshee freaks

I remember my dad showing me this trick with a big rig diesel engine years ago. The old 2 stroke detroit diesels would run in reverse if you stopped cranking the engine right before it fired. The built up compression would actually spring back and the engine would fire and run in reverse (blowing exhaust out the intake and vise versa). While this is not good for the engine it is possible under the right circumstances.

I've got a neighbour with a Lanz Bulldog diesel (tractor) that he brought with him when he emigrated from Holland back in the day. it's engineered to have reverse using the exact same principle. pretty cool stuff. you take the steering wheel off the column to crank start the old bitch. its a fine art to pop it off of the shaft right as the engine fires.

sorry..got a little off topic but its still pretty interesting...

Pickup coil wires are probably backwards. Check there to start since its the easiest place to begin. Either that or your timing is whacked out. Just saw this on my buddies bike last weekend, and the pickup coil wires were reversed. LOL it was pretty crazy!

This hapened to me too some years ago with my tecate.

All two strokes can do that even r/c cars.

Its no fun though.

my bike does that everryonce in a while. spec when shee is really hot. i kill it put it in neutral and roll it forward and fire it up. happend 3 times...