JJ & A Axles

On 11/2/2017 at 8:33 AM, ClaudeMachining said:

Same 12`` long, 2`` diameter tubes. One is solid and one is hollow. Same forces on them.

The solid weight 1674g and got a max stress of 7070psi.

The hollow (.250`` wall) weight 732g.and got a max stress of  11000psi.

So no debate, the solid is stronger, the simulation is 100% accurate.

The fun part is lets check how big the hollow have to be, to be as strong as the solid and how i twill weight. That is engineering, that is the fun part.

I played with some config for about 5 min and here is the results :

With a hollow tube of 2.4`` Dia, you got the same strengh with 900g weight!!!

That’s why we say solid is always stronger for the same shape and size, but hollow have a better weight to strengh ratio.

I hope i twill clear any doubts about this subject. Theory must match real life and i gave you the example.

Short story: It take a 2.4`` hollow tube with .250 wall ( 900gr) to be as strong as a solid 2`` tube. (1675gr)

b34d89810a380acf4380cb69152d7def.jpg3c5dff4c60b45c0e5e64fd6b84c9e693.jpg07ca1658eeacb2a274cd816b4963047a.jpg

jt just got OWNED.....again.....for da 100th time

I have a new idea of a thread. It will be called : Ask the dumb engineer

I will answer some questions that i found interesting. If my english was better i would do it in vidéo format which can be funny with my french accent.

I already got my first subject: Safety Factor.

Envoyé de mon SM-G935W8 en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, n2otoofast4u said:

Tricked are you off the wagon? You've been saying some weird shit lately. Even more weird than what your normal weird self would say.

Lol. No. One can never be off the wagon if they were never on the wagon. Just bored and trying to lighten the mood. 

• Like 2

I saw that zilla was talking about a 38" JJ styled drilled axle in the chatbox earlier this morning.  Does anyone make a 38" solid or drilled aluminum axle? Can't seem to find any info on a 38.

I'm using a Dura Blue +2 right now, and like the idea of loosing a bunch of rotating mass, but like the wider stance.

Honestly just seems like everyone agrees on the facts but nobody agrees that anyone is saying the same thing.

Regarding formulas and engineering...

A dumb engineer doesn't make engineering dumb. If the math is wrong, either the physics weren't applied correctly or the physics are wrong. It is almost 100% of the time the former.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What will it be?? 46'' ?? My front will have about 48", about 46'' rear should be good.

If you run the hubs all the way out and run the rims with the 6” side out, that should put you at 46” outside of wheel to outside of wheel. With an 11” wide tire that’ll make it about 48” tire to tire.