First Project at new job

OK, so i just graduated with a manufacturing engineering technology degree, and I am now a fabrication engineer at a metal fabricating / manufacturing plant We have laser CNC machines, a Tube laser, brake presses of all size, machine shop, all welding needs, 7 stage powdercoat line, etc... We run mostly sheet metal, up to 1/2" thick.

For my first project (after training that is) I am supposed to design my own part, whatever i want, and run it through the shop. Will start at either the laser CNC, CNC Punch, or tube laser. Then it will go to press brake if need be, machine shop,welding then PC.

Im thinking of making an extended swingarm out of tube stock, rectangle for the structural parts, and tube stock up front for the pivot. Then 7 gage sheet metal for the carrier mount area. Just an idea, what can you guys think of. I want it to be a challange, give me some idears! Im exctied! :cool:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do a side-case for a lockup clutch or a swingarm. The swingarm would be the easier of the projects. there's a lot of measuring and such with the side-case.

Billet cases would also be fun, but a LOT of measuring. LOL

- Jared

Control arms,

Extended swing arm with the link made out of aluminum

Cool head for a cr 500, kx500, Tecate 3 and 4

engine cases

1 piece cylinders with "proper" cooling, water pump outlet goes into bottom rear of cylinders instead of into back of cylinder head.

Also make a block off plate for rear boss on cool heads and stock head for your cylinders

Aluminum gas tank with a dual outlet for fuel.

Aluminum frame with 250r geometry for a banshee engine.

Lots of possibilities how long do you have to make it work?

I was an aerospace cnc machinist before i went back in the Navy.

The R&D jobs were the best.

Listen to the guys doing the production when they have suggestions to make the run go smoother.

Most of the time their suggestions will save time and materials/tooling! :biggrin:

Good luck on your project.... show us some pictures of the cad and in progress of the run if they will let you.

Well boys, thanks for all the great ideas. Since this is a project for me, i will probly get a week to do it. I am using autocad Inventor, and need a copy for home so i can start working on a design. Heres some ideas I had. Keep in mind its only laser cut sheet metal, or laser cut tubing, then bending, and welding, and powdercoating.. No billet machining will happen with this project, too much time and money.. Heres some I deas i have been thinking of:

Extended swingarm for stock carrier

Resevoir cover

Sprockets

Skid plates

Clutch inserts / water pump cover

Aluminum air box

I dont know, there is so much I could do. Out of em all, i think the swingarm is the most feasable. Im guna have to talk to loco about the material thicknesses, size, etc..

Thanks for all the input, i cant wait to start this project!

all of the above, i know it's not banshee related but a set of fabricated aluminum small block ford(289, 302, 351) tall valve covers would be cool, i've been looking for a set for the stang but dont want to pay 200+ for 15.00 in material..

~Mark~