WHO RIDES A SHEE IN HARE SCRAMBLE?

I AM GOING TO RUN IN A HARE THIS FALL AND WAS TOLD BY THE HONDA LOVERS THAT THE SHEE WONT HOLD UP TO THE EXTREME CONDITION I THINK THEY ARE FULL OF THERE SELFS BUT I JUST WANTED YOUR OPINIONS LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.

1998 YAMAHA BANSHEE

PRO-DESIGN COOL HEAD 20CC

WIESCO 64MM BORE

TORS REMOVED

190 MAINS

K&N CLAMP ON FILTER W/ OUTERWEAR

FMF FATTY GOLD SERIES

BOYSEN POWER REEDS

WHITE BROS. BOOST BOOTLE

BILLET IMPELLER

WIESCO CLUTCH AND BASKET

RENTHAL HANDELBARS

PARK BRAKE PLATE

20X10-9 BANDITS

21X7-10 RAZRS

DURABLUE AXLE +4

I do. NMDRC; ran a hare scramble in Farmington this year put on by NMDRC and weberacing.com (not really any different than a typical NMDRC desert race), officially second place but the weberacing scoring system is pretty screwed up, me and a few others in our class did four laps and they only scored 3. Anyway, if it's put together right the Banshee won't let you down, question is if you've got the stamina to push it for as long as the sofa-steering thumpers do...they're taking the easy way out but it doesn't mean you can't walk all over them...

It can be done with a banshee for sure, there is nothing wrong with your setup, I did hare scrambles for 2 years on a shee, I am not sure how long your races are but here in South Africa the length of such a race is between 150 - 400km long, so first of you need to be extremely fit, the banshee will take alot out of you because of its suspension, so you need a good suspension, some aftermarket shocks, A-Arms, swingarm, axle, and a good steering stabilizer and don't forget a long range fuel tank. And I also found that a twist throttle is much more relaxing than a thumb throttle as well.

And very important, attach some tyre weld on your shee for punctures, and try to take a hydrapack with lots of water as you will dehydrate during the race.

Good luck!

Edited by cloeter

• 1 month later...

Thats all I raced was a shee for 2 years. Last race it was at had 2 inches of mud on the raditor for prally 45 mins of the race. It was running so hot I would let off the throttle and it would keep revving out of control. It lasted and still runs great. I now own a 416ex for XC racing. I know I am kinda ashamed but I am doing better with it.

• 2 months later...

At the Missouri series they are far and few between. Mostly Yamaha and Honda 450s. When I do see one they do not fare well. It resembles horseback riding on an untamed wild horse. In the open spots they make up some time, but there doesn't seem to be much of that on the courses here.

I ride my 450 in the tight stuff and woods, I can walk all over most 2 strokes in the woods. The only thing that comes close is a 250R and they still wear themselves out. Don't get me wrong, I love my banshee but I am way more competitive on a 450. 2 hours fighting a banshee is tough on anyone. Rider can make up for some of it, though.

I ride my 450 in the tight stuff and woods, I can walk all over most 2 strokes in the woods. The only thing that comes close is a 250R and they still wear themselves out. Don't get me wrong, I love my banshee but I am way more competitive on a 450. 2 hours fighting a banshee is tough on anyone. Rider can make up for some of it, though.

Im totally the opposite.I can walk over most 4 strokes in the woods.I would probably be a little more competitive on a new 450. I've been woods racing my shee for so long that I have become part of it.Not to mention its like racing a relic,so the losers don't take it well.

Endurance is the key.If your in excellent shape you can survive on a Banshee

Set your quad up for the woods,you can't have a Mx/XC/TT machine.

Woods pipes are good for beginners,but I run top-end pipes PC or T-5 with lots of over revv and correct gearing.

Good tires preferable XCR/XCT or Razors,skid plates,handguards and a good set of bars.Properly set up shocks and a steering stab will increase stamina greatly.The more riding time you get,the better racer you will become.Always challenge yourself.If it wasn't for scrambles I don't think I'd still be riding one.I'm going to keep it until the open class is eliminated.

• 4 weeks later...
Im totally the opposite.I can walk over most 4 strokes in the woods.I would probably be a little more competitive on a new 450. I've been woods racing my shee for so long that I have become part of it.Not to mention its like racing a relic,so the losers don't take it well.

Endurance is the key.If your in excellent shape you can survive on a Banshee

Set your quad up for the woods,you can't have a Mx/XC/TT machine.

Woods pipes are good for beginners,but I run top-end pipes PC or T-5 with lots of over revv and correct gearing.

Good tires preferable XCR/XCT or Razors,skid plates,handguards and a good set of bars.Properly set up shocks and a steering stab will increase stamina greatly.The more riding time you get,the better racer you will become.Always challenge yourself.If it wasn't for scrambles I don't think I'd still be riding one.I'm going to keep it until the open class is eliminated.

Being in shape is key when racing a banshee in a harescramble. after 2 hours of racing i was about to die, but still pushed through. One thing, numerous 4-strokes broke down, but my banshee was still ripping all the way through. Depending on the temps, i would definitately take measures to help the running tempature. Especially if your racing in the tight woods. Also of key note, i wouldnt have been so tired if i had my GPR installed and the Flexx bars i just ordered a few hours ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Being in shape is key when racing a banshee in a harescramble. after 2 hours of racing i was about to die, but still pushed through. One thing, numerous 4-strokes broke down, but my banshee was still ripping all the way through. Depending on the temps, i would definitately take measures to help the running tempature. Especially if your racing in the tight woods. Also of key note, i wouldnt have been so tired if i had my GPR installed and the Flexx bars i just ordered a few hours ago.

Being in shape is definatly key. I tried a harescramble about 4 years ago and I was on a 440ex. I felt like I was in good shape and when I got there I thought I would be slick and sign up in the senior division. Figured this will be easy. WRONG!!!! When they scanned my helmet I was praying she was going to tell me I was done but instead it was GO you made it in time for one more lap. I almost pulled off and put it on the trailer then. When it was all done I couldn't hardly get off the quad.

• 2 weeks later...

my son(andrew) rode in his first hare scramble yesterday at clay city Ky,,he thought he was in good shape also,he was leading the beginners class, but he only made 1/2 lap,he was stuck 3 times,crashed in the creek,it was 37 degrees,,riding a 400ex with 50% tires in some serious mud,,said he would stick to drag racing..

• 4 weeks later...

yea its deffinatly about how good a shape your in and how much riding experience you have on a banshee. I know there are probably some people out there who trail ride with banshee's that are probably good enough riders to run with the pros like ballance and the other guys, if they were ever given the chance and allowed to race together.

and as for a banshee being setup for woods racing, I dont think its really that hard. you really dont need much motor work. I'd say just a stock ported motor with just some good all around pipes, aftermarket reeds, +4 timing, good airfilter, intake setup, and maybe a coolhead and that would be about all you need really need for power. then look into better suspension, a-arms, axle, wheels and tires and skidplates and you'd be pretty much ready to go. all thats left is a good enough rider to take over from there