How to remove flywheel and clutch boss without spe

I'm in the process of trying to replace the crank seals on the ol' lady's Blaster. I've got the flywheel puller tool from Vito's, but how do you keep the flywheel and clutch boss from spinning when trying to loosen the nuts holding both of these parts with a ratchet? I looked in the Clymers and it showed special "holder" tools to remove each part. But is this my only option to go to the local "stealership" and special order these tools? Thanks for any help.

I picked up a tool from Motion Pro, that is a clutch holding tool on one side, and has pins for holding the flywheel on the opposite. It looks much like a set of vise grips but with specialty ends. It works real well, about 30 bucks and you can find them around. Here is a link to the tool I am talking about, at Alba...

Alba Motion Pro Clutch/Flywheel Tool

This only shows the inner hub holding side, but on the backside of the "jaws" it has the pins that go in the flywheel. Just used mine today, again, and it works slick. It does still help if you have someone to hold the tool while you loosen, but you can make it work with just one person.

Edited by 2003LimitedBanshee

True, that works great when I'm at the shop. But when I was at the dunes and my stator crapped out on me, hand tools were the only option.  Plus I know many guys don't have all the luxuries some of us enjoy in our own shops.

454574[/snapback]

I've got a big ass inverter and my electric impact when I go to the dunes. There's nothing stopping me from doing a complete rebuild inside of my trailer. I think my electric impact was about $30 from harbor freight. Hasn't let me down yet.

Impact wrench is the only way to go.  Spin those fuggers right off of there without spinning everything else. :cheers:

454658[/snapback]

You said it Big Red! Today I said Fuck It and went to Harbor Freight and bought an air compressor, impact gun, and all accesories to get started. :dance: Spun those bastards right off! :headbang: It was a bicth to remove the right side crank seal. banghead Also putting both new seals evenly. I hope that I didn't fuck them up putting them in. :( Now the only problem is I dont now how much to tighten the flywheel nut to the right torque specs with the impact gun. I tried using my torque wrench to 53 ft./lbs. but again the flywheel spins. I will figure something out tomorrow, put side cover on, fill with oil, kick the bitch over and hopefully the "Uncle Buck" amount of white smoke, and erratic idle and throttle response will be a thing of the past!

an impact is the ticket... but for getting it torqued properly, use something soft between the gears, like a wrag. it will bind it up enough that it won't turn and won't hurt anything.

i dont remember what they are called but the tools with the rubber belts that grip circular objects can be found at most tool shops.  i saw some at home depot.

454463[/snapback]

It's called a strap wrench. I bought a pair (large & small) from Harbor Freight for under $10 (much better deal than the same thing from Sears). They're not perfect, but it worked for my shee's flywheel, and I've put 'em to use on a couple other things since then.

_dennis