who does the best porting?

shee13

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also depends on what type of porting your looking for. Some guys want a low end port and others want dune ports, then you have the all out drag port...W/ all my research, of my own bike, others I've tried, and people that I've talked to. I haven't found a builder that is GREAT at all 3 ports...Porting is an art, there is soooooo many combinations w/ porting and every combination is completely different. I haven't rode (2) 4 mil strokers that run the same yet. But all of us have mx porting and all of us have different builders...so w/ that in mind, I'd do alot of research on what you want and what a builder calls a x-country, mx, dune, or drag port...as some builders think a dune port w/ a wide powerband at 10,000rpms is a low end port because it has a wide powerband......as for great porting for instant low end, unbelievable throttle response w/ great midrange and top end..hands down Dan @Patriot....as for dune port...I'm pretty impressed w/ Fixitrods shee that was done by Grand River....neither one of these were done for me, but done for others on here that have let me try their shee out. So I'm not biased to anyone..Given I've never tried out a Passion motor or Fast motor, which I'd hope to meet someone who has one to try...as I am too looking for more. After you ride someone else w/ a lot more potential on the side of the curve that you want, then the quest goes on....it just sucks spending money on something that you don't want...this is why we are all here!!!!!when and where is this oklahoma trip?? I'm going to Glamis w/ 45 other quads from the East coast in Feb....it would be nice to have some of you others to hook up w/ us.

I would have to agree with you NYUK, There are alot of people who can build fast motors, The only point I am trying to make is from my personal experince and alot of other peoples, Passion is not one of them. I hate to see people pay alot of money for something and never get the power they want.. I have ran against some of those guys you mentioned, K&T,SSR, A&S, They are the real deal... They all performed good..

Everyones talking about "fastest" and "best" porting, what about "reliability". How long does a set of pistons last in a drag ported sand banshee ? My question is who makes a fast motor that can hold its own, but still keep its compression 3 years later.

Edited by Meat

Jeff @ FAST has a drag motor out there that I believe is going on it's third year of drag racing and has never been torn down. I don't think Jeff recomends running them that long without tearing them down, but that is pretty good if you ask me.. I also know that it still runs really strong... everyone that was at the dunes for the H.Q. ride can vouch for that... Anyone remember that blue and white 350 that was putting a hurt on just about everyone there.. That would be the motor I am talking about... :bolt:

Jeff @ FAST has a drag motor out there that I believe is going on it's third year of drag racing and has never been torn down. I don't think Jeff recomends running them that long without tearing them down, but that is pretty good if you ask me.. I also know that it still runs really strong... everyone that was at the dunes for the H.Q. ride can vouch for that... Anyone remember that blue and white 350 that was putting a hurt on just about everyone there.. That would be the motor I am talking about...  :bolt:

452359[/snapback]

Yeah, its theshit... :D

Everyones talking about "fastest" and "best" porting, what about "reliability".  How long does a set of pistons last in a drag ported sand banshee ?  My question is who makes a fast motor that can hold its own, but still keep its compression 3 years later.

452120[/snapback]

most people dont buy a drag motor expecting it to last 3 years. most people buying a drag motor want to go fast and if it means new pistons and rings every year then thats what they do.

Most any professional motor builder is gonna tell you to 50 - 100 hour rebuild depending on what port work is done.

Usually a compression test will tell you when she is getting close.

When you start checking off the boxes

Race Gas

Larger Carbs

High Rev

High Compression

You know your service hours are dropping like a rock.

Some things get rebuilt after every race.

• 1 year later...
well this has been gone over a few times, but it will all come down to personal preference. I know Jim at passion does a good job. Another builder that also ports said that. So that has to say something. The other builder is James Crowder out of Pearl Miss. That is who will most likely be doing all of mine from now on. Real nice guy takes time to talk to ya and answer any questions.

Let me know if you want to contact him.

I bought my banshee from a buddy of mine. He had Crowder do the port work and the bike definatly rips. It has very good mid range torque and good top end as well.I personaly havnt heard anything about him and would like to get some opinions on his work. The work looks great though!!If you can give me some info about him or a way of contact that would be great.Thanks---Nick

Everyones talking about "fastest" and "best" porting, what about "reliability". How long does a set of pistons last in a drag ported sand banshee ? My question is who makes a fast motor that can hold its own, but still keep its compression 3 years later.

I agree 100%. Anyone can port a bike take your money shake your hand and rebuild it when it fries. Thats what alot of builder/Porters do. Its a truely "GREAT" Builder that puts reliability into the equation by countering every HP mod with a Reliability mod Will you ever have the reliability of a stock motor not likely but it can be close if you put in aftermarket components and MANTAIN. Then I factor in what kind of port jobs said builder does most of. I wouldnt feel comfterble sending my motor to get done by a builder that does mostly drag motors. Its the builders interpertation/style of speed and preformance that is how your motor will turn out. I want my 4mil woods motor done next winter and my builder is booked when I want it done. If I cant find a builder who can tell me what he told me he will do without me saying it first then I will wait the extra 4 or so months to have it build by him. There are plenty of good builders out there that dont and probably never will have their names in highly read magazines but that doesnt mean they cant build a motor to your riding specs just as good as the brand namers.

As far as the F.A.S.T./Passions debate in here goes I personaly have heard great things about both of them. Jeff and Jim both re obviously top notch engine builders. You people trying to ""Help" (You know who you are) are only hurting Im not the only ne who thinks this.

I bought my banshee from a buddy of mine. He had Crowder do the port work and the bike definatly rips. It has very good mid range torque and good top end as well.I personaly havnt heard anything about him and would like to get some opinions on his work. The work looks great though!!If you can give me some info about him or a way of contact that would be great.Thanks---Nick

Wow...diggin up a 2 year old plus thread....nothing like going through the archives...

:banghead:

wow you go to trinity and your losing your money there motors arnt reliable and there customer service sucks! if u want to go fast your gonna have to pay! my 2 would be jeff at F.A.S.T or K&T

It was a joke as far as K&T walk over to the toilet push the little silver handle down and throw your money in. But thats how I feel.