Long travel suspension

sanddragon2004

To eliminate bumpsteer, both the centre points of the arc and the radius of the arc travelled by the tie rod and the wheel must co-incide, through the complete range of suspension travel.

This is not possible to achieve on a stock framed banshee due to the location of the a-arm hinge points on the frame. No matter what a-arms you throw at it...

This has been discussed in detail many times on this forum, hence Meat's comment.

That being said, I would love to have one of those LT set-ups bolted to my frame...If only I could afford it... :cry:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To eliminate bumpsteer, both the centre points of the arc and the radius of the arc travelled by the tie rod and the wheel must co-incide, through the complete range of suspension travel.

This is not possible to achieve on a stock framed banshee due to the location of the a-arm hinge points on the frame. No matter what a-arms you throw at it...

This has been discussed in detail many times on this forum, hence Meat's comment.

That being said,  I would love to have one of those LT set-ups bolted to my frame...If only I could afford it... :cry:

384308[/snapback]

explained in a fashion only an engineer could love.

however, couldnt you change that with an aftermarket sterring stem?

JJ, you can minimize the effect, but not totally remove it. But that is the key, minimization. Especially as you run more wheel travel, it becomes inevitable.

I would rather not badmouth the suspension I have, just promote what is right.

You would be surprised by the names of some companies that sell poor geometry, strength, and materials to people.

Be informed, and ask questions. Sanddragon had nothing to hide, and responded as such.

however, couldnt you change that with an aftermarket sterring stem?

Yep, I remember you parallel linkage steering set-up, still waiting for that drawing though... :cheers:

JJ, you can minimize the effect, but not totally remove it. But that is the key, minimization. Especially as you run more wheel travel, it becomes inevitable.

I would rather not badmouth the suspension I have, just promote what is right.

You would be surprised by the names of some companies that sell poor geometry, strength, and materials to people.

Be informed, and ask questions. Sanddragon had nothing to hide, and responded as such.

MonkeyBoy, I have absolutely nothing against anyones LT a-arms, but I'm enough of an engineer to recognise the limitations of the stock frame, as I'm sure you do as well.

Yep, I remember you parallel linkage steering set-up, still waiting for that drawing though... :cheers:

384396[/snapback]

once i figure out paint.............................. :angry:

:)

ill do it one of these days.

MonkeyBoy, I have absolutely nothing against anyones LT a-arms, but I'm enough of an engineer to recognise the limitations of the stock frame, as I'm sure you do as well.

384396[/snapback]

Yes, unfortunately I do.

Does anyone know if a YFZ frame would fit a Banshee motor?

We can work out the details, but that is the best handling chassis out there right now. And it happens to be Yami :)

I would like to also see if the swingarm and linkage from an 06 YFZ will bolt up to a Banshee. Imagine a alum swingarm and a round housing. Don't worry about strength, they hold up.

:headbang:

I would like to also see if the swingarm and linkage from an 06 YFZ will bolt up to a Banshee. Imagine a alum swingarm and a round housing. Don't worry about strength, they hold up.

:headbang:

385678[/snapback]

probably not, we arent that lucky.

but with some washers and a die grinder............... :evil:

someone give me a frame and motor and ill make it happen...seems i have a problem with making quads yamaha should have produced...

385848[/snapback]

I'm still dreamin' about mine with a long travel 250R frame and an RZ motor...I got dibs loco, just might take me 5 years to get there hahaha :bolt:

I have alot to learn I thought LT arms were the way to go on all ATV's

Now I'm lost once again I've been saving my money for either

Jansens, ATV Fourplay, Eyeball Eng. LT arms. But know I read that the Banshee Frame Geometry does not support LT arms well. The long travels create

bad bump steer (whatever bump steer is). Should I just get a set of Chrome +2 +1 Quicksand Arms with some wheel spacers.

Someone please explain this to me like a six year old so I can understand better and make a smart choice.

I'm still dreamin' about mine with a long travel 250R frame and an RZ motor...I got dibs loco, just might take me 5 years to get there hahaha  :bolt:

387227[/snapback]

ben, you get the frame and motor and ship it my way. itll be a good winter project...youll have the fastest 250r around.. :bolt: