Jettng the Passion Stroker?

cjm02ram

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I got it figured out!! I ordered $118 worth of needles from sudco. These needles varried from both ends of the spectrum. There is about a hundred different needles to choose from, I got about seven. I didn't expect a "for sure" fix from the needles I purchased, I just wanted to get in the ballpark of where I needed to be. Thats exactly what happened. I ended up going with a CEK, I think I might need a CCK, wich is one step richer on the L1 position. The CEK which I am running now is one step richer on the L1 than the standard needles, wich are DGK.

Also I have come to the conclusion that and air box does not supply enough air to the motor.

As strange as it sounds, I richend up my jetting, gave it more air and, it runs great.... It has just a hint of the dead spot still,but i think I can get it out by going with dual K&N's to give it more air. I am currently running uni filter pods. If going to the K&N's doesn't do the trick then I will put a CCK needle in it. That will hopefully do the trick.

Current specs. are 35mm PWK's... 168 mains, 45 pilots, 2.5 screws out on air screw,and CEK needles.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

ill throw my 5 cents in on this again

after going to a dyno with a sniffer. had 55 pilots dgl needle in the middle and 160 mains. made like 70ish hp and 38 ftlbs of torque. my low range(pilot) is so lean it was like off the chart. they talked me into a 70 pilot(which is huge as shit) raised the needle to the 5th clip and a 152 main. it made 74.39hp and 42 ftlbs of torque. after doing some thinking, the shop was like you need a bigger pilot, im not going to put a bigger pilot in.

in conclusion i bought some DEK,DEL needles to riching the low end up and will adjust the pilot to get it right. i might need a DDK,DDL needle i hope not.

jim's motor likes a bunch of fuel

thats my 5 cents plus 2 dimes

Edited by wesw

ill throw my 5 cents in on this again

after going to a dyno with a sniffer.  had 55 pilots dgl needle in the middle and 160 mains.  made like 70ish hp and 38 ftlbs of torque.  my low range(pilot) is so lean it was like off the chart. they talked me into a 70 pilot(which is huge as shit) raised the needle to the 5th clip and a 152 main.  it made 74.39hp and 42 ftlbs of torque.  after doing some thinking, the shop was like you need a bigger pilot, im not going to put a bigger pilot in.

in conclusion i bought some DEK,DEL needles to riching the low end up and will adjust the pilot to get it right.  i might need a DDK,DDL needle i hope not.

jim's motor likes a bunch of fuel

thats my 5 cents plus 2 dimes

359434[/snapback]

what dyno do u go to? 70 pilot is flippin huge. thats insane...

• 1 year later...

I'm resurecting an old thread after reading some interesting, yet confusing to information about crank case volumes.

I know there were some issues getting these motors jetted right, the question to me is why? Was it merely a jetting issues, was there something going on in the motor that we didn't account for? There is a discussion on PS about crank case vloumes, that made something click.

Backcountry brought up something about Boyesen ports spitting back into the intake track that might have some merit to these motors. For those of you that don't know, he is "one" of the most knowledgable builders of Banshee motors I have talked to.

Hopefully Jim can chime in here and at least dispell any ideas I have pertaining to this debate.

On some Banshee cylinders that I have seen that have had the Boyesen ports added, and rather large ones at that created some issues with intake flow. They required rather think reed spacers in order to get jetted and run correctly. My thoughts were that there was so much spit-back via those large Boyesen ports that you had to space the carbs back to prevent double dipping in the carbs. ie the spitback pushes already fueled air back thru the carbs and thereby picks up more fuel and becomes way too rich. Additionally I think with the addition of Boyesen ports there can be some flow interference issues. If we can get Sainty to comment on that because hes done a bit of testing on it.

The above comment was liberated from PS.

Edited by broke

i followed jims advice. he said the bike liked a lot of fuel and a lot in the mid.

out of the dyno it came a 68 pilot, dek 5th clip and a 140 mains in ks 1000 ft.

but it was too rich for actual riding. it would load up like a bitch.

lowered the pilot to a 60 and a 145 mains plugs looked great. ran very well.

probably could have went to a 55/58 and like a 148 to make it a bit more responsive but it pulled great.

as far as that ps, who knows everyone has their own opinions. but if those boyseen ports were not worth a crap, why do the cubs, 250r and a lot of other jugs have them. but thats me i havent a clue.

I have tried everything from 178 down to 145 so far. I have used the cgl, cel and dek needlies and 50-55 pilots. I have had two detonation problems while running the dyna and 115 octane gas. Each time it started melting a hole in the middle of the left piston. I sent the dyna to be tested and was told it was working properly.

Right now I am running the 34pj's dek needle 4th clip, 50 pilots and 145 mains. I might hold off until I get some shearer pipes in the next week or two.