Jettng the Passion Stroker?

cjm02ram

well i havnt kept up on the drama, i just got a kick out of his post, he aint found the cure anyway, my bike runs good and i posted my setup which didnt work for some guys, but after reading the crap on the grizzly...i say f*ck him, this is a bike site, it may say banshee, but we are all here to try and help one another.......and have some fun :cheers:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't gone back and read every post before this one, but all I have to say my passion stroker runs strong from bottom to top with no flat spots anywhere. Here are some of the things I have on my motor, cpi pipes, 35pwk with dial-a-jets,I have a 148 main jet and a 65 pilot jet. I know the 65 pilot is alittle on the fat side but when I am in 5th or 6th gear on a big track I dont want my motor to lean out when I chop the throttle, so unless you are racing ovals I would go about 2 sizes down from 65 on the pilot. The main jet does make my motor smoke and put alittle oil out the pipes but it pulls hard. I'm also running DK G needles on the second from the bottom clip I have 1/2" reed spacers with delta v's. I took out my boost bottle and put cane tips on my intakes and got better throttle responce. I also have a dyna ignition. I still run the single airfilter but I dont have a airbox just the front where the noss plate connects. I always run the same b32 (110 octane) fuel and maxim 927. Are you guys that are having problems still running stock sparkplug caps, I have had my bike run like shit before and I changed my caps and it ran better. There are alot of little factors that can effect the way your bike runs, its just a matter of getting them all lined out. I dont know if my set-up will help you guys get your motors lined out. If anybody has any questions or wants more detail about my motor set-up let me know. Oh by the way reded that was a funny-ass post. :headbang:

I haven't gone back and read every post before this one, but all I have to say my passion stroker runs strong from bottom to top with no flat spots anywhere. Here are some of the things I have on my motor, cpi pipes, 35pwk with dial-a-jets,I have a 148 main jet and a 65 pilot jet. I know the 65 pilot is alittle on the fat side but when I am in 5th or 6th gear on a big track I dont want my motor to lean out when I chop the throttle, so unless you are racing ovals I would go about 2 sizes down from 65 on the pilot. The main jet does make my motor smoke and put alittle oil out the pipes but it pulls hard. I'm also running DK G needles on the second from the bottom clip I have 1/2" reed spacers with delta v's. I took out my boost bottle and put cane tips on my intakes and got better throttle responce. I also have a dyna ignition. I still run the single airfilter but I dont have a airbox just the front where the noss plate connects. I always run the same b32 (110 octane) fuel and maxim 927. Are you guys that are having problems still running stock sparkplug caps, I have had my bike run like shit before and I changed my caps and it ran better. There are alot of little factors that can effect the way your bike runs, its just a matter of getting them all lined out. I dont know if my set-up will help you guys get your motors lined out. If anybody has any questions or wants more detail about my motor set-up let me know. Oh by the way reded that was a funny-ass post. :headbang:

148 mains? hell I'm runnin 168 mains, I was running 160's but I switched em about a week ago. It didn't seem to make one bit of difference from the 160's to 168's. Hell maybe I'm way to rich to begin with. The only problem with that theory is that it never loads up and, the plugs look dark brown so I know I'm not far off. I guess I'll try 148's.. what the hell, I guess I got nothin to lose exept for another $10. At this point I'd pay $100 just for it to run right! If this doesn't work I goin with my first theory of buying one step leaner slide cut away. Which is what i should have done in the first place but I didn't want to shell out the $120 for em when I wasn't certain that was the problem. Now I've got about $100 in jets and no fix to the problem yet.

23 when you do a plug check what does it look like?

Dark brown and a tad moist on the base ring but not black. my pilots seem to be OK also. I can lugg around the yard for 20 min and it still won't load up but, most of the time on cold starts I only choke one carb and it fires up 1st or 2nd kick.

Tonite I rode it and, it seemed to run a little better than usual. Out side air temp was about 20 degrees cooler than what I have been riding in. So maybe its still to rich. I'm thinkin the leaner slides are the way to go. I priced them from Pro-Flo and its around $60 a slide

what about this Dial a jet your runnin? have you rode it without the Dial A Jet? Does it run OK without the dial a jet? What do you jet to without it? Is it a Vitos unit? Sorry for the 10,000 questions.

Dark brown and a tad moist on the base ring but not black. my pilots seem to be OK also. I can lugg around the yard for 20 min and it still won't load up but, most of the time on cold starts I only choke one carb and it fires up 1st or 2nd kick.

Tonite I rode it and, it seemed to run a little better than usual. Out side air temp was about 20 degrees cooler than what I have been riding in. So maybe its still to rich. I'm thinkin the leaner slides are the way to go. I priced them from Pro-Flo and its around $60 a slide

what about this Dial a jet your runnin? have you rode it without the Dial A Jet? Does it run OK without the dial a jet? What do you jet to without it? Is it a Vitos unit? Sorry for the 10,000 questions.

I see you are using a 22cc dome, what octane fuel are you using? I don't have to choke my bike at all on a cold start, I just kick it through a few times real slow and it will start. It sounds to me like you might be alittle fat on the main jet, before You buy the slides try to get some different needles. If you call sudco and tell them what you have and what you are trying to do, they are willing to help you (most of the time). I had some 34pj on my bike for awhile, when I had those I used a 172 main jet and a 50 or a 55 pilot jet. The dial-a-jet is like a power jet in a alky carb. It just sprays and extra mist of fuel in the intake side of the carb, and you can adjust or change you main jet by turning the screw on the side.

I had some 34pj on my bike for awhile, when I had those I used a 172 main jet and a 50 or a 55 pilot jet.

Why did you change from 34 pj's to 35 pwk's? What difference did you experience when changing carbs? Do the reed spacers enhance performance or are they just for bigger carb clearance of the clutch arm? Are you sure you are using DKG needles or did you mean DGK?....I believe DGK needles come stock with 35pwk's.

I recieve information from almost everyone with these motors in different areas of the country, and world for that matter, where jetting is concerned and unanimously(sp) it takes alot of trial and error to get it right. Compound that with elevation, carb choice, pipes, reeds, temperature differential, filter set-up, compression ratios, ignition timing and advance curves it makes it impossible to tell any one person what exactly they need to run. But here are a few baselines. 34PJ 165-180 mains 48-55 pilots....33pwk 55-65 pilots 160-175 mains 35pwk 50-65 pilots 160-175 mains. I personally have not had to change needles or cut-aways for proper jetting but know builders who have had to on 35pwks. 34pj's dont idle very well, but seem to be easier to jet in on the mid-range. 33pwks seem to be the easietst of the pwk's to jet but do decrease all out top-end over a 35pwk.

Generally I reccomend 2 inch tubes to the airbox with a single filter to insure straighter air flow and less turbulence in mid-range transition although I know alot of you prefer the individual filters. I have personally experienced mid-range transition problems with individual filters for over 25 years...personally, I dont care for them. On drag engines, I will accept them and usually reccomend them in those applications because they do actually make a little more HP on the top-end. For trail motors and short-track engines, I dont care for them. On local engines like pro-quads bike, we run the 2 inch couplers with the front piece of the box only with a NOSS adaptor plate and single K&N. HIs bike will roll-on in 5th out of the turn and lift the wheels down the straight until sixth with 16/39 gearing at 75+ mph, so Im pretty sure there's no mid bog going on. Although you would have to check this yourself because theres no way in hell your getting this old man to check if for you.

Also, I might add that this engine makes a tremendous amount of low-end power(maybe too much) and after it goes through that stage the pipe starts hitting. Its possible that the transition is alot more noticable than it might be on other builders stroker motors. Ive helped several people trying to enhance the bottom end of their strokers built by others with almost the exact specs Im running. Anyone that has eye-balled a set of these cylinders notices that my transfer lay-out is totally different than what you'll see on other builders stroker motors, and thats where that bottom end is coming from, stroking alone isnt going to do that.

Call me old school, but my best guess for mid-range transition bog is the individual filters, and if it holds true to form(as Ive noticed for a long time)...its hard to deal with....Jim

I had some 34pj on my bike for awhile, when I had those I used a 172 main jet and a 50 or a 55 pilot jet.

Why did you change from 34 pj's to 35 pwk's? What difference did you experience when changing carbs? Do the reed spacers enhance performance or are they just for bigger carb clearance of the clutch arm? Are you sure you are using DKG needles or did you mean DGK?....I believe DGK needles come stock with 35pwk's.

There is another local guy that races pro with me that has the same motor I do but he has 34pj's. When we are on a big track(3/8 or 1/2 mile) I can drive by him on the top end. I really didn't notice a difference in the bottom end. It might be DGK needles, I might have wrote it down wrong.

34pj's dont idle very well, but seem to be easier to jet in on the mid-range. we run the 2 inch couplers with the front piece of the box only with a NOSS adaptor plate and single K&N.

Call me old school, but my best guess for mid-range transition bog is the individual filters

they sure dont idle well but are a breeze to jet, ive noticed when my single K&N is filthy, i get that same hesitation, i nail it and it hangs for a second then breaks my arms when it hits, i have a couple single K&N's and throw a clean one on before each ride, although i didnt cut my entire air box out, it still runs great, on long runs its nice to put a cell phone and a few bucks in a pouch and put it behind the filter, it also keeps dirt from coming right off the rear wheels on to my freshly oiled filter

I see you are using a 22cc dome, what octane fuel are you using? I don't have to choke my bike at all on a cold start, I just kick it through a few times real slow and it will start. It sounds to me like you might be alittle fat on the main jet, before You buy the slides try to get some different needles. If you call sudco and tell them what you have and what you are trying to do, they are willing to help you (most of the time). I had some 34pj on my bike for awhile, when I had those I used a 172 main jet and a 50 or a 55 pilot jet. The dial-a-jet is like a power jet in a alky carb. It just sprays and extra mist of fuel in the intake side of the carb, and you can adjust or change you main jet by turning the screw on the side.

When I had my motor done I told Jim I wanted to still run pump gas because, when we go riding we ride all day long. We go through about 2 to 3 tanks a day and that would be a pretty expensive day of riding with race gas at $5.50 per gallon and oil at $5.00 a bottle. It would cost about $60 for a good day of riddin (not good on a poor mans budget). To answer your question I try to get the highest octane I can find which is usually 93 from Amaco (bp). But I am thinking of getting smaller domes and running a 50/50 mix.