The Low Down On Port And Polishing

LRDBlaster, you couldn't be more wrong. You can easily get 5 hp by just

"cleaning up" the terrible casting that yamaha does on the BANSHEE jugs. Every set of stock jugs I have had the pleasure of taking a look inside had the sleeves misaligned, high seams everywhere, nuggets of aluminum hanging down into the passages, and every other manner of bad workmanship. The power you can get out of correcting these problems is astonishing and anyone with any knowledge of how a two stroke works can EASILY perform this mod. This will not affect the motor negitively in any way. It will give you virtually FREE horsepower.(minus the grinding bits) If you buy a banshee that is stock, this is one of the first things you should do to your motor. If you need more power, get a port kit. You can easily get 15 hp out of the sportport, without even messing with the transfers.

If you are into being able to say that the engine you have was ported by "dan, mike, joe or suzy", get it done at a shop.

As for me, I can claim that I did the work. Win lose or draw, it's my baby. You will gain so much knowledge by doing your own porting it will blow your mind. Never again will you pay someone to work on your "Baby".

DIY, then charge all your riding buddys $200 to port theirs. You know they will want to keep up with you after you smoke em'

• Like 1

I have used the Racelogic templates with great success but the is no guide for the transfer windows, I do them by following the angle of the two closest to the exhuast and then you must raise them all to be even and open at the same time, you also want them to follow around each other and not at each other. This is not easy to do and I would'nt attempt it If your not 100% sure of what your doing and have the right tools (Foredom) you will gain alot from this but could also really mis up the power delevery. Doing just the intake and exhaust will give you pleasing results.

First the race logic templates work for a good start. Then you need to read a book by A. Graham Bell---Two stroke Performance Tuning. Also a book by John Robinson called Motorcycle Tuning--Two stroke. You will get a good overall idea what to do and where.

For tools to do a port job go to www.ccspecialtytool.com . You will need the 90degree grinder that they make to do the transfer ports. They are the best. But Fordom also makes good motors and strait grinders. Hey maybe your dads shop can buy the grinders and carbide bits for you. Then you can become a" weekend hacker" as Dan at patriot racing called us. Just remember the guys that make a living at this aren't going to tell you all their secrets. Your going to have to ask and ask some more. Start out with the temptates and go from there to the transfers, take it slow and useing a degree wheel will help. I just remembered a web site www.McDizzy.com has a lot of pictures and help for begining porters.

Itsaripper is right on the money. It is freaky how much power a GREAT porter can squeeze out of a two stroke. But even a great porter had to start somewhere. If porting interests you, I say, do your homework and have some fun making your own power.

You must check out McDizzy. Print all pertainable info to have close by when your banshee is under the knife.

Vitos told me Not to run the Super stock Pistond with a Ported Motor.

Vito is a dumbass he is the one who told me to do it . I did and it worked great with the race logic template port job the duration of the exhaust port worked perfect . Call him and make sure you mention that you have (Race logic porting from the templates ) most ported engines allready have the exhaust modified to far so that the pistons would not work right but , the templates are not that extreme on the exhaust .On the other hand the race logic templates hog the shit out of the intakes . Taht is some thing to think about 2 It was a arm ripper when it worked

Edited by chase73

transfers are where all the power is hiddin exspecially in the crappy banshee transferes it has a very steep port that adds to the peaky powerband .The intakes that the race logic hits hard dont need to be like that as much . Be very carful with the dremel sometime less is more you can always take more off but , you cant put it back .Invest in some good tools if you plan on doing a few or learning anything

I've started playing around with port work myself. First with a dremel until I found out that the transfers could not be done without a 90* head. Dremel Makes a 90* head but it to large to get in the cylinder and cut with any accuracy.

I purchased A complete kit From CC Specialty Tool and they made all the difference in the world. With these tools you can cut slower keeping the metal from hardening and make the chances of taking out to much metal almost non exhistant.

I then purchased a good set of cylinders off Ebay and just started slow,making a few changes at a time. Puting it together and running it and then taking it back apart and making a few more changes. until it ran as good at I thought it would run.

Those same cylinders are now on my wifes bike and they are beating trinity, and who knows who elses motors. they're not to happy and willing to share that information once my wifes bike beats them. and once they ask me who did the port work and I say I did they look at me like I'm lying to them and leave.

I also Found it to be very helpfull if you call the manufacture of your pipes and ask them for the recommended port timing on your cylinders. Cpi was very helpful and eager to tell me what I hould set them at. I then Purchased A degree wheel marked the cylinders and started grinding.

For someone who is thinking of trying there own port work I say go for it there is no better feeling than being the fastest bike at the hills somedays and knowing that you built the motor completly by yourself including the port work.

• Like 1

Axle, good point. It is best to port to your pipe. I've done 5 sets of jugs, each set coming off better than the last. I've gone through so much info that I use a modified sportport template and my own transfer design. I'm no pro at this, but last season my buddy beat a claimed trinity ported bike with jugs ported by me. Just throw on Metallica Black and dig in. It is one of the best ways to learn two stroke theory.

• 4 weeks later...

racelogic.com, ebay or try here on the bansheehq.

I'm looking for a used/cheap set aswell.

If youre gonna do it yourself make sure you have the right tools

.. the right tools cost more then a port job performed by a engine builder.

On the transfers:

I noticed the banshee piston does not uncover the transfers and exhaust port completely.

a spacer plate would solve this nicely and give some more transfer time.

.. still working out the new timings/changes for a spacer plate setup..

so far it has some advantages and disadvantages.

It is best to port to your pipe. I've done 5 sets of jugs, each set coming off better than the last.

SandStar, I don't believe you could make a more incorrect statement than this. Pipes are ALWAYS set for the engine and porting, never the other way around. Also all the talk about untapped horsepower is all a bunch of marketing crap. The horse power is all good as long as it's where you need it to be for the particular riding you do, your bike setup, your weight, etc... What good is 70 HP to a woods rider if that measurement is at 12,000 RPM??? Reality is that this rider will probably never have enough room to rev out to peak and actually lost bottom and mid compared to stock. The "secret" to porting is not all porting at all. You need to have a well rounded properly set up system for your situation. Don't get me wrong, porting is important too but I think too much emphasis is being put on it and not looked at as 1 piece of a puzzle. Does the port logic template come with a template for the cases? How many of you would send out only your cylinders for a full drag port job? What about the cases? What about the reed cages? What about the actual dome design and volume? Are your pipes going to work with the wonder port or will you need to buy/have made something else? This is where an actual professional shop that cares about customer happiness comes in and can design a complete package based on all the variables to find something that works. Trinity lost all their good customers and went to a production line format and this is why some folks bash them, it was a business decision and it seems to be doing well for them, it may not be what you're looking for but lets not bead a dead horse. If you are serious about learning this stuff, you need to call CC specialty and get their complete porting kit (about $1200) then you need to buy all of the previously mentioned books and read up. When you're done there, you need to have the TSR software ($530) to help you figure out the exact port timing, blow down, size, head dome shapes, pipes, reeds, etc... that you need for your RPM range you've determined from the rider specs. Once you have all of this information you need a degree wheel and some dikem and a scribe and map out your new port specs. Now that you're all set up and you've essentially MADE your own port template, its time to get on with the art. There is both a technical side and an art side of this, don't let anyone tell you different.

Hope this helps someone.

Yeah that would be pretty much allrite for someone interrested in starting up his own porting/tuning company.

If you just want to know a bit more about 2 strokes and find some additional power where you want it,

then read over macdizzies site a few times.

i have some free tools for calculation of 2 stroke stuff like bmep, port window time all the basic stuff to become a good amateur porter knowing what you are doing and where you want to go.