The Low Down On Port And Polishing

:wacko: I have been reading alot on porting and polishing, I have a Buddy who has a dyno for fourwheelers and such...anyway i saw all the Banshees that were all modified as hell and only cranked out 46 + hp., then out of nowhere a Stock looking banshee gets on the dyno and cranks out 70 some, What i need to know is the pattern you port the 4 intake holes in the back of your cylinder. Please Reply only if you know what you are talking about thank you........

70 ponies is easily attainable with the right stroke and porting......... By the right person of course. The most recommended poeple that I would turn to would be Jim at Passion Racing Engines. Dan at patriot racing. Andy at grand River Racing. Stay away from Trinity. THey are too commercialized now..... And their bikes aren't rippin anymore. Figure out what kind of riding you want to do, and then contact some folks.....

It may sound stupid but I would really like to try it myself, my dad owns a Yamaha Dealership and he could help me im really just looking for someone who has done it succesfully or can help, there are many people who have done it I know but there are different ways to do it do you bevel the outside edges of all 4 Intake ports? If so do you bevel all 4 sides of each port or just the top side of the ports.....I really need a diagram or something...I will look around on the net somemore

All im pissed about is all the damn 4 strokes like the damn 450's and the raptors and the v-force......although I do respect their awesome torque in the trails and the track. I want information on how to make my banshee (the bike ive loved for years) run good and strong and not constantly bog out or overheat.........on a gravel road wrapped out in 5th gear on the powerband when i hit 6th it bogs out.....im tired or constanly playing w/ jetting and shit....ya know? Also what is the best Way to acheive more torque boggin out then shifting down and wrapping out is annoying..........

I'm not sure if its still there but there was some guy on e-bay selling a porting guide for a banshee.

The kit included some kind of stencils that you place over the ports and match up so you know how much metal to remove.

Check it out but it all sounded a bit suss to me.

Porting is an art, it could be an expensive f*ckup if you're not an artist :unsure:

5th gear on the powerband when i hit 6th it bogs out.....im tired or constanly playing w/ jetting and shit....ya know? Also what is the best Way to acheive more torque boggin out then shifting down and wrapping out is annoying..........

there are templates you can get fo porting, but you wont get 70hp out of them. but before you do that...

1) you need to play with your jetting more because if it bogs in 6th you aint jetted right

2) porting will make you engine more sensitive to jetting most likely

3) there is a lever on the lft of your handle bar, its not just for shift gears..when you bog pull it in a hair with the gas pinned and you will go really fast...if of coarse you did what i said in #1 right :bolt:

Well i know my jetting is screwed up know but it was perfect i started with i belive 270s when i got my pipes then i for a k & n and bumped up to about a 275 or so well now ive been trying to figure out which is better air box lid on of off..... now i have it off and am running like a 305 jets i belieive i may try putting 27.5 pilot jets in.........will porting make it harder to start and shit though.......

i would'nt try my own port job unless i had a proven jig or template and some expierience in the matter, take out too much meat and your jugs are about useless. a buddy of mine had another buddy who ports car heads for race engines do his and pretty much fcuked them up, he also polished them which is a no-no for 2 stoke motors because alot of the fuel atomization is made when the fuel/air mixture tumbles through the cylinders intake ports, polishing limits the available turbulence neede to properly atomize (mix) the fuel/air mixture, good for car motors bad for 2-strokes. try Lane over at lake's motorsports as he will spend as much time on the phone with you as you need... he went totally out of his way for me and even called me back at home to answer questions and offered to help me jet my bike for his port job, couldn't have been more satisfied with the work and service i received from them. :)

LAKE'S

Edited by nasty01banshee

ive seen guys take die grain bits to the intake ports and it gave them a little bit of power however you are not going to get anything eye popping. just get it doen the right way buy somebody with the tools and experience. you can open up the intake ports all you want but thats not what affects everything. unless you play with the transfer tunnels and exhaust ports and try boost ports than you are basically only adding a few hp and not getting great motor out of the porting.

We just Ported out 4 Quads 2 Banshees and 2 250Rs and we used the Race logic Sport Port tamplets.

And we gained 14 HP on one Banshee and 15 HP on the Other Banshee and 13 HP on both 250rs.

But we do this about 5 Time a Month and we have been porting quads for 6 Years.

And for my Buddys I will do it for free.

if you want to do it your self then go right ahead.i my self have had many motors built for me,i would not even attempt to start grinding my jugs,i have no idea about exhaust duration, transfer angles,blowdown,ect,ect,.a lil clean up port i could do.but for a reliable port job i would leave to the pros,my 2000, with a port job pushing 75 ponies,lasted 2 years same pistons and rings,beating the ever loving dog shit out of it weekly.reliability along the lines of a stocker.

The racelogic sport port is a great way to go. I did it and it turned out great.

But if you want to do take full advantage of a port job, do it this way---

1- Invest in some good pipes

2- Buy some bigger carbs-34mms at least.

3- Purchase a billet head with interchangable domes.

4- Get a piston kit with high quality pistons that are 1 bore bigger than your curent size-Weisco Prolites are a good bet.

With this set up, you might get pretty close to 70 hp. Realistic to expect 50-60.

To break the 70 hp barrier, tap those jugs out and put a stroker crank in!

I have all that and More. But still have stock bore.

I have

FMF Fatty Pipes

FMF Power Core 2s

Cool Head w/ 21cc Domes

Race Logic Porting

28 mm Flat side Carbs

Vitos Power Pistons

Vitos degree Key

V-Force Delta 2s

Boost Bottle

Pro Flow air kit

6 filtered air Vents