Changing Sprocket Sizes?

Could somebody tell me what changing the front and rear sprocket sizes does, like increasing or decreasing a tooth or two?

Does increasing one tooth in the front give the same affect as decreasing one tooth in the rear?

question for a 400ex (stock): how much would I need to change the gearing to where I could run 25 in. rear tires without hurting the tranny?

increasing the front 1 tooth = decreasing the rear 2-3 teeth. decreasing the front 1 tooth = increasing the rear 2-3 teeth. i dont think it would be hard on the trans, but i would try decreasing the front one tooth, or increasing the rear sprocket 2-3 teeth.

In a nut shell, bigger rear sprocket(or smaller front) = better bottom end...but for this better bottom end you will lose top speed.

smaller rear(or bigger front) will give the opposite effect....

so lets say you decrease the front sprocket 1 tooth and increase the rear sprocket 2 teeth. Could you put on some big ass rear tires to get back some top end or would it take back away from the bottom end?

Big ass tires would hurt your turn in and make you less stable overall... not advisable.

Gearing all depends on terrain and purpose... a good low end gearing will make your shee a joy in the trails; however, when you start upping the ponies you will find it hard to hook up on most dirt terrain... gear for more high end and she'll hook up; however, climbing those hill shoots will be a bit more tricky... best to F with it and find a gearing that fits your mods and style :)

www.rockymountainatv.com sells front sprockets for $7.  That's a good way to experiment.  I just got a 14 tooth from them (had a 13).  We'll see later if I start snapping teeth.  :blink:

you shouldnt snap any teeth. i ran a 12 tooth for a year and a half and never had any problems. ive heard about people breaking them but i didnt have any thing go wrong. ive run 13 tooth sprockets too and never had a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have the stock size sprockets right now on my bike, I've got fmf pipes cool head and a ported and polished head. I'am trying to get some torque all it has is top end. Would going to a 13 tooth front sprocket give me a little more torque and still salvage some of my top end? Thanks guys

P.S. I'am just trying to find out a way to get a little more tourque (bottom end) outta the shee while salvaging the top end :dance:

You won't be "salvaging" top end, you'll just not be going as fast at the same rpms. If, with stock gearing, your going 70 @ 9,000 rpms, if you lower your gearing (larger front sprocket), you'll be going slower at the same rpm. You'll have to shift faster, because the lower gearing will make your gears shorter, which helps the low end torque.

Some like it, some don't. The only way to know is to try it. The cheap JT and Primary Drive are great sprockets and cheap enough you can buy several different sizes to find out how you and your shee respond to the gearing. It also depends on your mods as to what gearing you can pull, and how / where you ride as to what gearing will be best suited. Depending on where I ride, I'll change my gearing to suit the terrain, for example, when headed to the dunes, I'll go a size smaller on the rear, which lowers it a tad, and that helps me move my power where I need it out there. I can pull 15/41 easy on the dunes through 6th, but I like it a tad lower (15/40) than that for hitting the bowls and ramps and such. If I was strictly dragging, I'd probably use different gearing.

In the end, it's what you feel is best for you. Some like high gearing and some like low. Experimenting is the best and only way to really know where how you like it set up.

Edited by sredish

• 5 weeks later...