Changing Sprocket Sizes?

what about using the stock 14 front sprocket and using a 42 (stock would be 41) for the rear. will this make any differance for helping me get threw trails at slow speeds.

You wouldn't want to increase your rear sprocket size if you can help it, I can think of a few reasons:

Ground clearance comes at a premium on Banshee's especially for trail riding, increasing the diameter of the rear sprocket will reduce the ground clearance. If anything, try to reduce the diameter of the rear sprocket for trail riding.

Rear sprockets are way more expensive than fronts so why go that route?

It's easier for me to change the front sprocket than changing the rear.

Like the others said, get a few $7 front sprockets and experiment. See how you like it, if you don't, then no big financial loss...

BenBB did an Excel sheet on it and you would need to run a 14 front and a 51 rear or a 13/47 or a 12/44 to turn 25 tires the way it turns a 14/41 20 tire.

I highly recommend everyone that rides to have a copy of that Excel sheet. It is a very handy tool for gearing and all.

Get it from BenBB's site.

Hey TR. This may help you understand final gearing I hope.

Stock 400EX final drive is 15t front, 38t rear and with a 20 in. rear tire. Stock final drive ratio is 38/15=2.53.

Now if you want to put on a 25 in. rear tire and keep the overall same gear to speed ratio, then new final drive ratio=2.53(25/20)=3.16.

So you would need to pick a combination of sprockets to give a final drive ratio of about 3.16. One combination would be 13t front and 41t rear. Final ratio=41/13=3.16.

So a 15t/38t/20in will have exactly same speed/acceleration as a 13t/41t/25in. I have ignored fact that actual tire outside diameters may not be exactly 20in. and 25in. but this is the drill. To be accurate you need to get correct outside tire diams and plug into formulas. This also ignores that with bigger rear tires you probably would want to gear down some. -_- Ya I know, I always put my students to sleep.