Why Does My Banshee Smoke More Out Of One Side?

nickxc

My new banshee smokes out of one exhaust pipe way more than the other especially when its cold. I put my hand in front of the exhaust and it feels like the same pressure comming out of each pipe just one is smokey and the other clear??

My conpression is 125 in each cylinder and the carb slides couldnt be closer, jetts are all the same in both sides

any help would be appreciated

:wacko:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My new banshee smokes out of one exhaust pipe way more than the other especially when its cold.  I put my hand in front of the exhaust and it feels like the same pressure comming out of each pipe just one is smokey and the other clear??

My conpression is 125 in each cylinder and the carb slides couldnt be closer, jetts are all the same in both sides

any help would be appreciated

:wacko:

honestly, it is possible for one side to run a tad richer/leaner than the other with dual carbs, especially the stock dual carbs. Depending on how much is the question.

Which side is smoking? Have you done any work on the carbs recently, and how long has it been doing this? What are your mods, and this probably doesn't belong in the General Discussion area.

Later.

mine does the same. my solution....keep the r's up. i cant find it. replaced the seal, new plugs, reheted. cleaned carbs time and time again. idk. it bugs me, but then i just say f it. ride, look forward and forget. when it breaks, then ill know y. :D

peace out, and wrong forum for this ?, for future refrence

ah, the ol one side smokes more than the other question. Dont worry mine does it too. I'm guessing its the design of the stock carbs. I dont know if it has to do with the choke setup, or just the way the carb is made from two different molds but good luck getting rid of it smoking like that.

I saw on here someone (forget who it was), when they went to another carb setup the problem went away. When my top end went and I pulled the pipes off I noticed the one pipe was a little richer in buildup on the inside than the other. I believe it was my left side, but I could be wrong, been a while since I pinned the throttle and looked back to see which one was smoking more. When my shee is warmed up, the one side when I have it pinned will put out a little smoke stream (not real rich), and the other you dont see at all.

If you wanna try playing with your carbs, engine, anything else you can think of to get rid of it, go right on ahead, and if you figure something out, let me know, I've been trying to figure it out for 2 1/2 years now.

p.s. If its smoking a lot more on one side than the other, then you might have other issues.

Its the left side thats doing it, Its only really noticable when its cold or at low r's. Im in the process of replacing the head gasket because I thought it might be that.

I just purchased it a week ago and Its an 01 that has been sitting for about 2 years. The carbs where all messed up when I got it but I went right through them and got them all cleaned up and in sink and its still doing it. I will let you know if the new head gasket works.

thanks.

also I know this isnt the right forum for this type of question but I usually get the best responses in this forum. I never seem to get questions answered elswere

thanks though!!

Its the left side thats doing it,  Its only really noticable when its cold or at low r's.  Im in the process of replacing the head gasket because I thought it might be that.

I just purchased it a week ago and Its an 01 that has been sitting for about 2 years.  The carbs where all messed up when I got it but I went right through them and got them all cleaned up and in sink and its still doing it.  I will let you know if the new head gasket works.

thanks.

also I know this isnt the right forum for this type of question but I usually get the best responses in this forum.  I never seem to get questions answered elswere

thanks though!!

I hope the head gasket works, but I kinda think it's the carb setup. if it's not too drastic and your not fouling on one side then don't worry too much.

You can jet the one carb to fine tune that cylinder. I've heard of several that would do that, just because of what I said earlier where the one side has a possibility of running leaner/richer due to the dual carbs, this is especially prevalent with the stock carbs.

Anyway, good luck and let us know how it works out.

My does the same thing. Just had the whole motor rebuilt, new packing cleaned carbs. new reeds,new coil,new caps, new plugs. both idle screws the same. insync. No exuse for it. But hay it's there and it runs better then ever. so im not going to do anthing about it. Unless i fidn it burning trany oil or coolant or lean